• Advertisement

About to start my build.

These are simple stills with no column. Doublers and puke boxes are allowed.

Re: About to start my build.

Postby Zymurgy Bob » Fri Feb 10, 2017 8:26 pm

That sounds like way overkill to me. I's say a couple of gallons of water with half a gallon of white vinegar, run for half an hour (with the coolant water off) should work just fine. As always, YMMV.
Zymurgy Bob, a simple potstiller http://www.kelleybarts.com/zymurgy-bob- ... e-spirits/

You can make whisky in a reflux still, you can make vodka in a potstill,
and you can eat chicken noodle soup with a crescent wrench. But...
Zymurgy Bob

Equipment type: 60L unpacked 20"x2", propane, with Liebig

Postby Magellan » Sat May 05, 2018 6:31 am

I just noticed this post and am building my new still head and liebeg very similar to your setup. I'll be starting in 2-3 days when the supplier gets my fittings in stock. I want to run this by you fellas here and see if I'm on the right track.
I'll be using a piece of 3" copper for my colum, about 15" long with a 90 degree elbow on top, reducing it to 2"then 3/4" and connecting a 3/4" over 1/2" x 36" liebeg to it. I'm building it like this because that is the length of the 3" copper I had already, and only had to order a 3" tri clamp and ferrels, and 4-5 fittings. I'll be using a 3gpm pond pump to recurculate the cooling water. Now I have a couple questions,
Will this setup work well enough like this, or is there something that should be changed to make it work better?
I'd rather make the condensor a little longer than perhaps neccessary, but would rather it be a little overkill instead of struggling to keep up.
Or should the condensor be perhaps a 1 1/4" over 3/4" x 36" ?
I'll be using a propane burner for now, and perhaps switching to electric when I build a new boiler.

Txbrewing, have you tried out your unit, and how does it perform? Anything that you would do different now that you have it done?

Cheers, Magellan
Magellan

Equipment type: 5 gallon converted milk pot for now

Postby Tracker » Sat May 05, 2018 8:45 am

36" long 3/4 x 1/2 condenser is plenty and more efficient than 1 1/4 over 3/4. Your set up looks fine.

Cheers.
Tracker

Equipment type: 50 litre keg, SD 2" to 4" torpedo with 2 bubble plates, Dephlegmator, Pot still arm, copper SPP and condenser.(Tracker Stacker Flavour Packer)
Various pot still/thumper configurations.
Bok 2" slant plate for neutral and cleaning up mistakes.

Previous

Return to Pot Stills