• Advertisement

How Thick of Copper for 12 gal Pot Still

These are simple stills with no column. Doublers and puke boxes are allowed.

How Thick of Copper for 12 gal Pot Still

Postby JoeFL77 » Fri Oct 29, 2010 8:16 am

Hello,
Am trying to figure out how thick the copper shpuld be for a 12 gallon pot still (the 12 gallon design by Husker that is the upsized version of the 6 gallon by Pintoshine)

From my reading, I have concluded that .032 / 20 guage / 24 oz is all the same and the appropriate thickness. Is this correct?

I have found some .043 at a reasonable price. Is this too thick?

Also while I am asking, some places have .027 is this too thin?

If is matters, I was going to use a propane burner for a heat source.

Thank,
Joe
JoeFL77

Equipment type: Building a Pintoshine 12 gal pot still soon

Re: How Thick of Copper for 12 gal Pot Still

Postby vb » Fri Oct 29, 2010 10:58 am

.043 won't hurt as far as thickness goes, might be a little more difficult to work, but copper is soft and as long as your patient it should work fine.

I built a 6 liter version of Pint's design, I still use it as a thumper.
Give strong drink to him who is perishing,
And wine to those who are bitter of heart.
Let him drink and forget his poverty,
And remember his misery no more.
vb

Equipment type: yes, and lots of it

Postby myles » Fri Oct 29, 2010 12:40 pm

You can build in a lot thinner if you put in more seams. You will be surprised at just how much a few seams increases the rigidity.

Even if you use roofing copper which is much thinner. If you get an offer of a good price on some thin stuff just get it - you can always double it up.

Also it depends on how you are going to use it. For example look at your domestic hot water cylinder - it is thin but never moves. :)
myles

Equipment type: Hybrid copper / stainless 35 litre pot still, with 2" reflux column option. Propylene glycol double boiler. 160 litre HDPE fermenters and mash tun.
All copper pot still "Rosie" in development.

Postby punkin » Fri Oct 29, 2010 1:17 pm

Husker design :roflmao: :roflmao:

Identified Shit Stirrer, upgraded to sociopath.

To the fashionable nationalists

http://www.stilldragon.com.au for all your distilling needs in Australia and New Zealand
punkin

Postby msh » Fri Oct 29, 2010 2:33 pm

I used .032 from McMaster-Carr for a 6 gallon still. It wasn't too expensive. I wasn't sure what to expect, but it was thicker than I imagined when I ordered it. I think it will be durable. I wish I had built the 12 gallon version or even larger.
msh

Equipment type: 6 gallon pot still
5 gallon plastic bucket
large spoon with handle that's too short.

Postby vb » Fri Oct 29, 2010 7:28 pm

punkin wrote:Husker design :roflmao: :roflmao:

thats right, Husker used his calculator to multiply all the dimensions by 1.25 so now its a unique design.
Give strong drink to him who is perishing,
And wine to those who are bitter of heart.
Let him drink and forget his poverty,
And remember his misery no more.
vb

Equipment type: yes, and lots of it

Postby msh » Fri Oct 29, 2010 9:16 pm

I've been wondering what capacity of a still could be fit onto a 36"x96" sheet. Is there a simple way to expand the the existing dimensions without knowing how to use a CAD program?
msh

5 gallon plastic bucket

Postby pintoshine » Fri Oct 29, 2010 10:01 pm

If laid out with the frustums in 4 parts it can go much bigger.

It would not be easy to scale the design to that size and make a pdf template though. It would be nearly 50 pages.
If one had access to a lage format D size printer it would be much easier to print large sheets.
The layout could also be accomplished with a simple straight edge, linear measurement, large protractor and a compass.
When I lay out the pieces I use the equivalent to those device in an electronic form.

I have a 1 gallon template that I scale to make larger sizes. The conversion is somewhat easy. I simply that the cube root of the gallons and that is my linear multiplier. For instance if I need an 8 gallon one. cube root of 8 is 2. doubling the linear measurements and kepping the exact shape gives an 8 gallon template.
I can fit a one gallon on a 24x18" sheet. doubling that is a 48x36" for an 8 gallon without flake stand.
I'll play around with a 36x96 and see what it can do.
I did a 55 gallon in stainless with about that much metal.
Distill safe. Make good cuts. Enjoy yourself. Give as much as you take. Have fun doing this incredibly hard work. Be a good example. It's your hobby.
pintoshine

Equipment type: 58L 1.1 meter LM still.
58L thumping spirit still
20L copper pot

Postby msh » Sat Oct 30, 2010 1:31 am

Thanks for the reply. I admittedly don't know how to calculate the sizes, and scarcely understood much of what you were describing. I'm just surprised that 36x96 will make such a large still. I used a sheet half that length for the 6 gallon and flake stand. I don't need one that size. I would prefer something around 20-25 gallons. It would be easier to hide :?
msh

5 gallon plastic bucket

Postby JoeFL77 » Sat Oct 30, 2010 7:25 am

Gentlemen,

Thanks for all the information. Now I just have to convince the War Department that we need this. And the three hour drive to pick it up.

For those looking for larger printer options, Staples will print on 11x17 (ledger size) for $0.20 a page. Ledger seems to be the common\cheaper alternative.

With that 12 gallon still, is that it's total capacity or how much you can reasonably expect to put in it and run it?

Thanks,
Joe
JoeFL77

Postby lateralus » Sat Oct 30, 2010 9:30 am

pintoshine wrote:If laid out with the frustums in 4 parts it can go much bigger.

It would not be easy to scale the design to that size and make a pdf template though. It would be nearly 50 pages.
If one had access to a lage format D size printer it would be much easier to print large sheets.
The layout could also be accomplished with a simple straight edge, linear measurement, large protractor and a compass.
When I lay out the pieces I use the equivalent to those device in an electronic form.

Hopefully this question isn't too dumb. But couldn't you get a roll of paper, and make the sheets of paper the same size as your sheet of copper and then use a projector to scale your design template onto the paper and then trace it that way? The assumption of course is that a person has access to a projector for their desktop/laptop.
Spiral out.
lateralus

Equipment type: propane fired 15.5 gal pot still

Postby pintoshine » Sat Oct 30, 2010 9:41 am

yes that would work fine.
Distill safe. Make good cuts. Enjoy yourself. Give as much as you take. Have fun doing this incredibly hard work. Be a good example. It's your hobby.
pintoshine

Equipment type: 58L 1.1 meter LM still.
58L thumping spirit still
20L copper pot

Postby Azframer » Sat Oct 30, 2010 1:30 pm

I just happened to have a HP DesignJet 430 I can roll out 24x36 sheets and with the roll feed I can custom length at what ever my roll is.
Friends call me Rick
Drank all night and I am still thirsty!
But I don't feel like I got to much blood in my alcyhol.
Azframer

Equipment type: 5 Gallon Pot Still, Dash1

Postby msh » Sat Oct 30, 2010 3:23 pm

Lateralus, that's a brilliant idea. :idea: I once painted a business just as you described. I just never thought of using that process for this. The image can be scaled to any size by adjusting the distance between the projector and the board, or copper sheet in this case. You would have to be cautious to assure the projection doesn't "keystone" or otherwise distort the image. I think I would want to do a full-scale practice run on some taped up cardstock to be certain it fits together before cutting on a full sheet of copper. I used an overhead projector, but have seen inexpensive projectors designed for this purpose at hobby shops.
msh

5 gallon plastic bucket

Postby JoeFL77 » Tue Nov 02, 2010 5:57 pm

I bought the copper and now I have to drive and get it. I thought the War Department had approved then plan. I was mistaken. She thought we were just talking about it. She is OK with it though.

So now I have to drive 3 hours there. I should be a relaxing drive as I recently got a much nicer car. It is only 10 years old.

So what should I do with 2 sheets of .045 3 X 8 sheets of copper? I'm thinking of the Pintoshine/Husker 12 gallon pot still.

JoeFL77
JoeFL77

Next

Return to Pot Stills