• Advertisement

All Stainless Tri-Clamp 3" Pot Still

These are simple stills with no column. Doublers and puke boxes are allowed.

All Stainless Tri-Clamp 3" Pot Still

Postby NineInchNails » Sat Feb 12, 2011 10:24 pm

It's been a LONG time in the planning, but I finally finished my pot still.

I have a 15.5 gal keg for stripping and a 7.75 gal pony keg for a VM reflux column.

I have a variety of Tri-Clamp fittings so I can mess around with what type of configuration or angle I want to set the lyne arm at. Here's one configuration using two 90 elbows just prior to the Liebig:

Here it is using just one 90 elbow prior to the Liebig:

The 3" column coming off the keg is 15" long. The Tri-Clamp fittings allow for the lyne arm to be tilted anywhere from 45° up, 45° down or any angle in between.
NineInchNails

Equipment type: .
3" Stainless VM (5' column)
3" Stainless Pot Still

Re: All Stainless Tri-Clamp 3" Pot Still

Postby NineInchNails » Sat Feb 12, 2011 10:31 pm

Here's the plans.
Attachments
POT FINAL.jpg
POT FINAL.jpg (149.39 KiB) Viewed 20938 times
NineInchNails

3" Stainless Pot Still

Postby minime » Sat Feb 12, 2011 10:50 pm

Well, that's either your basement or YOU are living the single life. Ain't no self respecting female gonna have ANYTHING to do with that kitchen. :lol:
Nice pot still too!
Never save the best for last!
minime

Equipment type: VM enthusiast.

Postby zedzedtop » Sun Feb 13, 2011 1:04 am

Ha yes, you should see my kitchen. I'm in 500ft^2 house with tiny backyard and shed - barely enough room to turn around. Too many hobbies and tools. Kitchen counter is overflowing with tools and often dirty dishes.

That is a nice pot still. I wonder if you could get most of the copper advantage by dumping lots of shavings into the boiler. I've heard that copper is more important in the strip than the spirit run.
'Bubble cap plates are better for batch distillation than perforated plates' - Benjamin Franklin

Fortune cookie: Your whole family are well
zedzedtop

Equipment type: 25G pot, gas or 4500w
pot head or 4'' 3plate bubbler, cm

Postby vb » Sun Feb 13, 2011 1:31 am

Now you're just showing off
See You Next Tuesday.
vb

Equipment type: yes, and lots of it

Postby Decoy » Sun Feb 13, 2011 6:01 am

pretty... :8)
Cheers
Decoy..

"Artisan Distiller" The art of making your own distillation apparatus for the
purpose of home distillation of spirits alcohol or ethanol for personal use.
Decoy

Postby Copperline » Sun Feb 13, 2011 7:25 am

Very nice! I like the versatility all the tri clamp connections provide.
Copperline

Postby NineInchNails » Sun Feb 13, 2011 9:11 am

:lol: No it's not my kitchen. It's in my garage. That's gonna be my stillin area. It was a lot of work to put that sink & counter there. I had to tear up the back yard pretty bad to run a water line in and a drain out.

Bustin out the concrete:

Water & drain:

Propane just in case:

Framed & sheathed:

Cabinet doors, hinges & trim. Yes I cut out holes for the cabinet doors too :D :

My wife found a piece of granite for $100 so that's what got me started on this.

Cut the sink hole in the granite and installed the sink. I used a diamond hole saw for the corners and a diamond blade on a skill saw to cut the sink hole. I had to temporarily brace the cutout from the underside.
NineInchNails

3" Stainless Pot Still

Postby NineInchNails » Sun Feb 13, 2011 9:56 am

zedzedtop wrote:Ha yes, you should see my kitchen. I'm in 500ft^2 house with tiny backyard and shed - barely enough room to turn around. Too many hobbies and tools. Kitchen counter is overflowing with tools and often dirty dishes.

That is a nice pot still. I wonder if you could get most of the copper advantage by dumping lots of shavings into the boiler. I've heard that copper is more important in the strip than the spirit run.

I certainly hope so. I'll definitely chuck a bunch of pieces of copper into the boiler. I'm considering using some copper wire, coil it up and use the coil to line the inner wall of the column to see if that works too.
NineInchNails

3" Stainless Pot Still

Postby Bayou-Ruler » Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:45 am

NineInchNails wrote:
zedzedtop wrote:Ha yes, you should see my kitchen. I'm in 500ft^2 house with tiny backyard and shed - barely enough room to turn around. Too many hobbies and tools. Kitchen counter is overflowing with tools and often dirty dishes.

I certainly hope so. I'll definitely chuck a bunch of pieces of copper into the boiler. I'm considering using some copper wire, coil it up and use the coil to line the inner wall of the column to see if that works too.

Copper is beneficial in the vapor path to remove sulfides. Not sure about in the boiler.................
Bayou Ethanol
Ethanol Fuel Producer
AFP-LA-15027
Bayou-Ruler

Equipment type: 3'' CM Reflux Column & Pot Still w/55 gallon boiler all in Stainless Steel

Postby NineInchNails » Sun Feb 13, 2011 8:32 pm

Bayou-Ruler wrote:
NineInchNails wrote:

Copper is beneficial in the vapor path to remove sulfides. Not sure about in the boiler.................

I definitely can't argue about that one. I've read that pot stills benefit more from copper in the vapor path and I've also read that it could be more beneficial for copper to be inside the boiler itself. I'll likely do both.
NineInchNails

3" Stainless Pot Still

Postby big worm » Sun Feb 13, 2011 10:32 pm

nice!
"It is wise to learn how to ferment local products that are cheap and abundant."
big worm

Postby NineInchNails » Tue Apr 12, 2011 2:41 pm

I had this steel 4-wheel bench in the garage so I added 3 little sockets to set hold my burner frame while in pot still mode. The stand is held nice & solid. I know ... those are some ugly welds :lol:

The only thing I would like to add is a few little fasteners to ensure that the keg cannot flip over. I might weld a few bolts to the big ring on the burner stand, drill some corresponding holes in the base of the keg and install some thumb screws. I wish I could find a thumb screw with something attached on the opposite end to press against the keg. That way I wouldn't have to drill holes in the keg and the thumb screw would act like a C-clamp to hold the keg nice & snug to the buner stand.

When fiddling with the assembly while the keg is empty it can get a little bit tippy with the Liebig extended all the way out at a 45° angle. The Liebig will be heavier with water inside too.When the keg has some wash inside it won't be tippy at all, but I don't want to have to worry about that kind of accident happening.

I may replace that plywood with a piece of aluminum diamond plate or something like that.
NineInchNails

3" Stainless Pot Still

Postby Hammers » Wed Apr 13, 2011 11:13 am

You have a granite counter top in your garage? I wanna still at your place.

I'll bring donuts.
Hammers

Equipment type: $4 pressure cooker with a $50 liebig

Dirty, cheap and quick, but planning for a pint o' copper!

Postby Fishtech » Wed Apr 13, 2011 1:33 pm

Hmmmm... I may have to duplicate your stand for my setup, I'd love to be able to adjust burner height like that.
“May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds.”- Edward Abbey
Fishtech

Equipment type: 1 gallon stainless air-cooled test still

10 gallon stainless alembic still (electric)
20" shotgun condenser
6" Dephlegmator

30 gallon electric alembic still
30" shotgun condenser

Next

Return to Pot Stills