• Advertisement

My Vacuum Potstill Sprouts a Thumper, or three

These are simple stills with no column. Doublers and puke boxes are allowed.

Re: My Vacuum Potstill Sprouts a Thumper, or three

Postby skow69 » Sun Sep 21, 2014 3:55 pm

ant wrote:Sorry, must have you confused with some other vacuum thread who was finding the winter an easier prospect for condensing.

Sounds like Brantoken. Vacuum 'stilling is a pretty small club.
Distilling at 120f and 100 torr.
"The best way to have a good idea is to have a lot of ideas and throw away the bad ones."
Linus Pauling
skow69

Equipment type: Multi-thumper 5 gallon Corney keg vacuum pot still.
2" X 50" borosilicate offset VM/LM with SPP and red pumi-rock.

Re: My Vacuum Potstill Sprouts a Thumper, or three

Postby skow69 » Sun Sep 21, 2014 4:22 pm

apoplectic epileptic wrote:To make locating leaks easier you can use an old mechanics trick, find or make yourself a cardboard tube about 3/8" ID and 12" long, put one end up to your ear and use the other end to locate leaks

Yeah, thanks, AE. I appreciate your interest. I'm afraid I am the old mechanic of reference. The first vacuum gauge I connected to my still was the same one I used back in the day to adjust carburetors
and diagnose sticky valves. I'm so old I remember when engine vacuum was used to run the windshield wipers (a terrible idea, BTW. Worked fine going downhill.) In those times manifold vacuum was decreed by God himself to be 21 inHg at idle, and crankcase pressure was regulated by a breather cap in the valve cover and an open hole in the side of the block with an upside down U-pipe stuck in it to keep the oil from running out. And visibility in L.A. was about a block.
Distilling at 120f and 100 torr.
"The best way to have a good idea is to have a lot of ideas and throw away the bad ones."
Linus Pauling
skow69

Equipment type: Multi-thumper 5 gallon Corney keg vacuum pot still.
2" X 50" borosilicate offset VM/LM with SPP and red pumi-rock.

Previous

Return to Pot Stills