• Advertisement

vacuum distiller for essential oils

These are simple stills with no column. Doublers and puke boxes are allowed.

vacuum distiller for essential oils

Postby manu de hanoi » Wed Nov 13, 2013 3:00 pm

Here's the reasonning behind the design :

Some essential oils require a lot of steam (=water) to distill and a fraction of the fragrances can be trapped in the water.
The natural conclusion is to recycle that water aka floral water aka hydrolat. That is traditionally done using a florentine flask aka essencier whose water overflow is returned to the boiler.
Under vacuum (and pressure in general) forces are such that boiler volume is expensive, on top of that , that water takes expensive space in the boiler and in the collection vessel, both under vacuum making the recycling even more valuable.
That's why I've built a recycling essencier for vacuum.

I forgot to add : it works well at ambient pressure too.
manu de hanoi

Equipment type: http://www.stainlessstuff.net

Re: vacuum distiller for essential oils

Postby jake_leg » Wed Nov 13, 2013 4:27 pm

Very cool, Manu. I've done a bit of steam distilling but was not aware of this concept.

Where's the disco soundtrack on the video? :D
I remember Aaron Schnell
jake_leg

Postby prairiepiss » Wed Nov 13, 2013 4:42 pm

I love it. I have spent the last week researching essential oil stills. And my interest in vacuum distilling has grown. I will have to watch this a few more times.

I was thinking from your description. The separator would automatically recycle the hydrolat into the boiler. But in the video you pulled it off. Did I misunderstand something?

And at that vacuum what temp is it running?

Thanks for posting. You have given me some very good ideas. And at the right time too.
prairiepiss

Equipment type: 15.5 gal keg boiler with 2 5500w 220v elements. Now running 220v Stilldragon controller on one element.
30" X 2" Pot Still CM modular combo column.
16" X 3" shotgun condenser 5 1/2" X 11" and 4 1/4" X 11" tubes and built in gin basket.
8" bubble ball addition named Fu Man.

Postby manu de hanoi » Wed Nov 13, 2013 4:50 pm

prairiepiss wrote:I love it. I have spent the last week researching essential oil stills. And my interest in vacuum distilling has grown. I will have to watch this a few more times.

I was thinking from your description. The separator would automatically recycle the hydrolat into the boiler. But in the video you pulled it off. Did I misunderstand something?

And at that vacuum what temp is it running?

Thanks for posting. You have given me some very good ideas. And at the right time too.

the still ran for several hours with the hydrolat constantly overflowing back in the still. When stopping the still, unless the tank is full of oil there is going to be a bit of hydrolat left in the tank.

Temp is usually below 60 c at these pressures
manu de hanoi

Postby prairiepiss » Wed Nov 13, 2013 5:00 pm

Oh gotcha. Very nice.

Are you worried about putting all those botanicals in the boiler. With that electric element? Or is my assuming wrong. And you used a hot plate under it? Sory hard to see this stuff on my phone.

I've already decided on my boiler setup. And I hadn't came up with a good plan for the still head itself yet. Still have a lot more to research about the subject.

Wouldn't happen to know any good sites about it would you? I keep running into deadends. That only explain portions of it.
prairiepiss

Equipment type: 15.5 gal keg boiler with 2 5500w 220v elements. Now running 220v Stilldragon controller on one element.
16" X 3" shotgun condenser 5 1/2" X 11" and 4 1/4" X 11" tubes and built in gin basket.

Postby zedzedtop » Wed Nov 13, 2013 7:35 pm

What happened to that guy a few months ago who posted the vid about supercritical CO2 extraction?
'Bubble cap plates are better for batch distillation than perforated plates' - Benjamin Franklin

Fortune cookie: Your whole family are well
zedzedtop

Equipment type: 25G pot, gas or 4500w
pot head or 4'' 3plate bubbler, cm

Postby manu de hanoi » Thu Nov 14, 2013 12:52 am

prairiepiss wrote:Oh gotcha. Very nice.

Are you worried about putting all those botanicals in the boiler. With that electric element? Or is my assuming wrong. And you used a hot plate under it? Sory hard to see this stuff on my phone.

I've already decided on my boiler setup. And I hadn't came up with a good plan for the still head itself yet. Still have a lot more to research about the subject.

Wouldn't happen to know any good sites about it would you? I keep running into deadends. That only explain portions of it.

botanicals should be separated from the element by a screen to prevent scorching. Haven't found decisive literature on oils but was lucky to meet a professional oil distiller here in VN.
manu de hanoi

Postby manu de hanoi » Thu Nov 14, 2013 4:40 am

btw I started selling aniseed candy made from the oil I distill, here's the website in french http://anispur.com
manu de hanoi

Postby punkin » Thu Nov 14, 2013 4:44 am

Hop lollies you should do.

Identified Shit Stirrer, upgraded to sociopath.

To the fashionable nationalists

http://www.stilldragon.com.au for all your distilling needs in Australia and New Zealand
punkin

Postby prairiepiss » Thu Nov 14, 2013 10:42 am

You are a lucky guy to have found a good teacher in the subject.

What other botanicals have done?

I wrote up a longer post. But I didn't want to hijack your thread. So I will pm the rest to you.

Thanks for the info.
prairiepiss

Postby manu de hanoi » Thu Nov 14, 2013 10:50 am

I've just tested it on aniseed, the still is designed for any oil with density from 0.8 to 1.2 (can be adjusted to your oil if you know the density). The magic of the design is that for oils heavier than water (there are very few, like cinnamon) all you have to do is screw the oil tank with the upper union joints switched.
manu de hanoi

Postby prairiepiss » Thu Nov 14, 2013 10:57 am

Can you post a better pic of it? The video is hard for me to see good.

Man I can't wait till I get Google fiber next week. It will be nice to have internet service at the house again.
prairiepiss

Postby manu de hanoi » Thu Nov 14, 2013 11:54 am

heres the pic
Attachments
IMG_32063small.jpg
manu de hanoi

Postby prairiepiss » Thu Nov 14, 2013 12:56 pm

Thank you. Very nice work as always.

Since the still is under vacuum. And that drops the boiling point. Does the cooling water need to be cooler then a normal still? How much cooler? My water supply at this house isn't as cool as I would like it to be. It took me some time to realize that. After we moved in. I wasn't getting the same results out of my still. And threw me for a loop. So if I would need a cooler water. I would need a chiller of some sort.
prairiepiss

Postby manu de hanoi » Thu Nov 14, 2013 1:41 pm

boiling point is 45 - 60 C so water should be max 30 C, if water warms, condenser will condense less, pressure will rise and then boiling point/condensing point too until it stabilizes.
manu de hanoi

Next

Return to Pot Stills