• Advertisement

vacuum distiller for essential oils

These are simple stills with no column. Doublers and puke boxes are allowed.

Re: vacuum distiller for essential oils

Postby prairiepiss » Thu Nov 14, 2013 2:56 pm

That's what I figured. But I didn't even think about the pressure rising. Duh. Thanks great info.
prairiepiss

Equipment type: 15.5 gal keg boiler with 2 5500w 220v elements. Now running 220v Stilldragon controller on one element.
30" X 2" Pot Still CM modular combo column.
16" X 3" shotgun condenser 5 1/2" X 11" and 4 1/4" X 11" tubes and built in gin basket.
8" bubble ball addition named Fu Man.

Postby manu de hanoi » Fri Mar 30, 2018 11:51 am

Here is what looks like an ideal research project for the vacuum still: antibiotics from onion. Seems like what we want is volatile and/or can stand up to 60 C but not 100 C
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articl ... 7-0046.pdf
You'll find plenty of resources about the antibiotic virtues of onion and garlic on google
manu de hanoi

Equipment type: http://www.stainlessstuff.net

Postby sasquatch » Sat Mar 31, 2018 9:00 pm

How much more oil is collected using the hydrosal feed back method compared to no feed back?
sasquatch

Postby manu de hanoi » Sat Mar 31, 2018 9:18 pm

sasquatch wrote:How much more oil is collected using the hydrosal feed back method compared to no feed back?

I havent made the measurement, and it depends on the oil solubility in water. But I suspect it is high. The recycling also prevents the load from drying and burning (you dont have to open the boiler to refill water)
manu de hanoi

Postby manu de hanoi » Sat Mar 31, 2018 9:28 pm

manu de hanoi wrote:
sasquatch wrote:How much more oil is collected using the hydrosal feed back method compared to no feed back?

I havent made the measurement, and it depends on the oil solubility in water. But I suspect it is high. The recycling also prevents the load from drying and burning (you dont have to open the boiler to refill water)

after a quick google, the solubility seems to be around 1mg/g. that's up to 15 grams in a 35 liters boiler that are lost each time the boiler is refilled with water.
manu de hanoi

Postby sasquatch » Mon Apr 02, 2018 11:15 am

manu de hanoi wrote:

I am having a hard time figuring out how the collected (terpene's) oil is soluble in water (hydrosol) when terpene's are insoluble in water.
I know that the hydrosol is carrying some forum of essence from the mark but won't it be the water soluble components?

Vacuums would differently make a difference with a cold trap inline because you can remove the heat sensitive terpene's faster without temperature degradation which in return should produce move and stronger terpene's.

So is the return doing anything to volume and quality of the terpene's that maybe might be accomplished by the vacuum?

ps
I have noticed that hydrosol goes off and will create molds where as essential oils don't mold but will lose strength and quality over time.
sasquatch

Previous

Return to Pot Stills