• Advertisement

Mud's new rig

These are simple stills with no column. Doublers and puke boxes are allowed.

Mud's new rig

Postby Mud » Sat Sep 13, 2014 7:45 pm

I started building a new rig over the last few weeks.

The boiler is going to be a ~30 gallon direct immersion with a 4500 watt element on a phase angle controller. This hasn't been sourced yet but if all else fails Bubba's Barrels has them.

All the parts for the power controller are here but still in their packaging. Can't wait to build this part.

Initially it's just getting a standard pot head to start. I've been messing around with a plan for a bubble plate still but haven't decided yet whether to make it stainless or copper. There were some some 3" copper fittings and tri-clamp parts lying around in the shop from years ago so...
IMG_20140913_193815_291.jpg
IMG_20140913_193848_525.jpg

It was pretty easy to get this together. That's a piece of 3" Type L. Not sure of Type M would work but DWV won't for sure. Two minutes with a file put a bevel on the inside of the pipe so the ferrel could get started. I used a MAPP torch to heat the pipe to just shy of red to expand it. Then pounded the ferrel in using a 2" thick block of hardwood and a 24 oz hammer. It didn't want to move at first and I thought it wasn't going to work. Had to whale on it like a coal mine pony but it went. Without the wood block to shield it the ferrel would have been damaged for sure. Common sense says it should be vapor tight but it'll have to be checked.

The condenser is going to be either a shotgun or a worm. Not sure which yet but it will be wall mounted. Maybe an air-cooled worm is in order.
Specialization is for Kiwi.
Artisan Distilling Book
Mud

Equipment type: Keg based pot - sometimes propane powered but mostly electric

Re: Mud's new rig

Postby Kapea » Sat Sep 13, 2014 7:55 pm

Two questions:
Why wouldn't DWV work? You probably wouldn't have had to whale on it to get it in with DWV. (L type ID= 2.945", DWV ID =3.030")
Why no solder?
Kapea

Equipment type: 50mm x 1250mm copper & stainless VM column
50mm copper & stainless pot still
Modular multi-plate 4" bubbler

Postby Mud » Sat Sep 13, 2014 8:00 pm

The walls of DWV are so thin it's a sloppy fit. The ferrule won't even touch. With Type L the Ferrule had to be driven in hard, causing the pipe to swage. I'd imagine it's so tight solder wouldn't flow. There's certainly no getting the joint apart without ruining something. Maybe the pic isn't good enough but you can see the bulge in the copper.
Artisan Distilling Book
Mud

Postby Kapea » Sat Sep 13, 2014 8:19 pm

Still Dragon has 3" sweated copper to triclamp ferrules.
OD is the same on all types - 3" copper OD = 3.125".
(Just in case that join doesn't work out for you)
Mixing/smearing flour paste gets old quick...
Kapea

Equipment type: 50mm x 1250mm copper & stainless VM column
50mm copper & stainless pot still
Modular multi-plate 4" bubbler

Postby just sayin' » Sat Sep 13, 2014 8:31 pm

Mud,

Nice fit on that flange. It has got to be too tight to leak. Even Harris 45 Safety
Silv would not flow there.

Pint had pictures of his air cooled worm many years ago. I remember it having a large amount of tubing mounted over a beefy looking box type fan. His was the only air cooled copper worm with enough heat exchange capacity to knock down anything above a few hundred watts I have ever seen.

There are some examples of air cooled copper worms that work for something like 300 or so watts, like the little Scandinavian "spiral burners", maybe from Riku's forum.

Just Sayin'
just sayin'

Postby Mud » Sat Sep 13, 2014 8:36 pm

With copper plumbing pipe the OD is always the same and wall thickness varies. Consequently the ID varies. (it isn't really pipe it's tube, but who's quibbling?)

The copper tube handbook

That's why thin wall DWV is no good for this but Type L works. if this isn't vapor tight I'll either try to solder it or use silicone on the outside.
Artisan Distilling Book
Mud

Postby Mud » Sat Sep 13, 2014 8:40 pm

Thanks Just sayin'. I remember that pic and is why I mentioned it. It hasn't got much attention on the forum but if it works there's no need to mess with water. (winter sucks when you don't have a heated space) How does one calculate the cooling capacity?
Artisan Distilling Book
Mud

Postby just sayin' » Sat Sep 13, 2014 10:10 pm

I tried to find the link to Pint's post, no luck. Pint's might chine in with his specs. I was thinking it was something like 60 feet of 3/4"but it might be four or five years since I saw it, could be 120'. He had a pickle jar thumper too, and he got some grief over the glass. It may have been long enough ago to have been posted on HD. As I get older I notice I have a mind like a steel ..........colander.

Cooling capacity calculation is above my pay grade. Delta T or temperature difference, surface area and air flow would be your big variables for a coil of copper tubing. Ambient temperature would be a big factor. Winter distilling in an unheated shed would require way less coil length than a 95 degree August day for sure. I have thought about increasing surface area by adding fins. A really cheap way to ramp up surface area would be to solder pennies on the outside of a tube like the plates on a stegosaurus's back to see what kind of a difference could be achieved. Increasing airflow and turbulence will also increase the heat exchange capacity for a given length of coil, but it does cost money run high output fans and they may be noisy. The ideal solution would be to rely on natural air convection like the inverted trumpet shaped the cooling tower on power plants but that would take a load of copper.
Trial and error was the way things were designed for thousands of years before Newton's calculus made it possible for engineering types to reasonably accurately predict outcomes in advance.
just sayin'

Postby Mud » Sun Sep 14, 2014 6:24 am

Here's the pic. Its in Pint's photo album.
condenser1.jpg

Kinda need water in the shop anyway so probably ought to just make that happen.
Artisan Distilling Book
Mud

Postby just sayin' » Sun Sep 14, 2014 6:32 am

Thanks Mud, it doesn't look like a crazy amount of copper.
just sayin'

Postby Mud » Sun Sep 14, 2014 6:54 am

If that's a 12" diameter circle each coil is about 40" long...math...50' of copper tubing.
Artisan Distilling Book
Mud

Postby just sayin' » Sun Sep 14, 2014 7:37 am

Is it 3/4"?
just sayin'

Postby Mud » Sun Sep 14, 2014 7:44 am

Looks like 3/4" that's been flattened by bending.
Artisan Distilling Book
Mud

Postby pintoshine » Sun Sep 14, 2014 9:27 am

it is 5/8 od. replaced it with a 5/8" 7 turns in a water jacket. Was reasonably cheap. Made pans and rolled a cylinder. Typical design but not designed for high pressure. Pond pump to move water through it from a 55 gallon water barrel.
Distill safe. Make good cuts. Enjoy yourself. Give as much as you take. Have fun doing this incredibly hard work. Be a good example. It's your hobby.
pintoshine

Equipment type: 58L 1.1 meter LM still.
110L Artisan Still Design Hybrid 4 plate with oil filled jacket.
20L copper pot

Postby Mud » Sun Sep 14, 2014 8:42 pm

Pretty sure I'd hate myself if I tried to make a shotgun shell. :lol: Maybe my TIG welder buddy could help.
Artisan Distilling Book
Mud

Next

Return to Pot Stills