• Advertisement

My steam stripper build

These are simple stills with no column. Doublers and puke boxes are allowed.

Re: My steam stripper build

Postby jedneck » Sun Mar 06, 2016 2:42 pm

For now I just use a cork in a hole in the lid. I am gonna add a monometer and a ball valve later. For right now I'm using stupid simple.
jedneck

Equipment type: 15.5 gallon steam powered keg. Pot strippin head and single plate flute finish head.

Postby S-Cackalacky » Sun Mar 06, 2016 6:45 pm

Put a tee fitting somewhere between the steam boiler and the cooker/distiller with a ball valve on the side leg and open the valve just before shutting down. This will vent the steam boiler to the atmosphere and prevent it from sucking anything but air. A long vent tube off the valve would send any steam away from your face.
S-Cackalacky

Postby Swede » Mon Mar 07, 2016 6:13 pm

You could do what I did and put a pressure relief/vacuum break combo valve on it. I do still have an isolation valve between the steam wand and my water filled boiler jacket. This is to ensure that there is no suck-back of mash into the jacket. I've also got a vent valve on the jacket too. As far as I'm concerned, I consider the relief/vac valve a safety device and prefer to control it manually for the most part.
Swede

Equipment type: 9000w 30gal electric double boiler with jacket generated direct steam injection/PWM controller with PID temp control for automated shutdown, column temp monitoring, and mash-in-pot, 4" Stainless 4 Tray bubble cap/wier type downcomer column

Previous

Return to Pot Stills