• Advertisement

Copper sheeting inside SS pot

These are simple stills with no column. Doublers and puke boxes are allowed.

Copper sheeting inside SS pot

Postby Mangamahu Moonshine » Mon Dec 28, 2015 7:36 pm

Has anybody ever just measured around their SS still, gone out and bought some copper sheeting and rolled it to just sit inside the boiler pot against the walls of the pot? I did some frankensteining on the dome and neck last year, and was considering ways to get some copper in the actual pot then I wondered if something as simple as this might work.

Or, even if nobody has tried it, does the idea itself seem sound? Or would there be reasons not to, or perhaps a better way to do it?

Thanks.

Sip.
There is no failure, only an increasing gradient in the learning curve. Nothing worth doing comes easy.

Never trust a man who doesn't drink booze or eat pork.
Mangamahu Moonshine

Re: Copper sheeting inside SS pot

Postby zedzedtop » Tue Dec 29, 2015 1:54 am

Sure but there's no reason to put it around the edge. Could just chuck a bunch of copper tubes in there.
'Bubble cap plates are better for batch distillation than perforated plates' - Benjamin Franklin

Fortune cookie: Your whole family are well
zedzedtop

Equipment type: 25G pot, gas or 4500w
pot head or 4'' 3plate bubbler, cm

Postby Mangamahu Moonshine » Thu Dec 31, 2015 11:03 pm

Cool, thanks. I was just thinking of lining the edge, and maybe bottom, to kind of make it a kind of layman's copper pot. Lol.
There is no failure, only an increasing gradient in the learning curve. Nothing worth doing comes easy.

Never trust a man who doesn't drink booze or eat pork.
Mangamahu Moonshine

Postby Boomtown » Fri Jan 01, 2016 7:27 pm

Mangamahu Moonshine wrote:Cool, thanks. I was just thinking of lining the edge, and maybe bottom, to kind of make it a kind of layman's copper pot. Lol.

We did this too. Just dropped by a roofer's shop and bought some copper valley metal, and cut the pieces into reasonable lengths, rolled them up, and dropped them into the SS pot.
That along withe the copper head, and copper chiller, gives us the whole 9 yards.

Can't have too much copper in a whiskey still.

Boom
Boomtown

Return to Pot Stills