• Advertisement

Stainless Oil Drum Strip Still

These are simple stills with no column. Doublers and puke boxes are allowed.

Stainless Oil Drum Strip Still

Postby myles » Wed Mar 30, 2016 12:54 am

I am now getting ready for All Grain whisky, for when I return home from my current location overseas, and am investing in a home build strip boiler.

I have ordered two stainless steel drums. One is an open top 205 litre / 54 gallon, and the other is a tighthead 115 litre / 30 gallon. The only modification I specified was that both drums be fitted with two of 2" BSP fittings instead of the usual oil drum fittings.

The plan is to mash by steam injection as explained so well on this forum :) , and then ferment on the grain. Most of the grain will later be filtered out, and the slightly cloudy wash put into this new double boiler.

I intend to fit a copper 6" section to the inner 115 L drum and this will in turn be bolted into the lid of the open top 205 L drum. This 6" section will just hold a foam breaker and then connect to a product condenser.

The outer drum will contain water and any steam generated will be injected into the inner boiler. The wash will thus be heated both by a water jacket, and also by steam injection.

Low pressure PSV will off course be included, but the pressure should only ever be that needed to lift 3 foot or so of water, as it blows out into the inner drum and then through the product condenser.

The mash schedule is intended to be two batches of 20 kg in 100 litres, (35% Corn, 35% Rye, 15% Oat, 15% Barley) each in a 160 litre HDPE drum that will also be used as the fermenter.

The two batches of Low Wines will be combined as the charge for my 100 litre keg boiler.

strip boiler mk2.png

I think this is a reasonable solution to the grain issue. It would be possible to distil on the grain, but I intend to remove most of the grain with a stainless filter with 2 mm perforations.

I don't have sufficient electric supply to heat this, so will be using gas. There will be a 5 mm thick aluminium plate added to even out the heat of the burner and I am adding an insulated gas shroud with an exhaust vent. This will be used in a tin shed so ventilation is fine, the shroud and exhaust is for convenience and to increase thermal efficiency.

I am also going to build a giant sized liebig to surround the exhaust flue, and this will be used as a thermosyphon heater to use the exhaust to heat a water reservoir for the jacket, and for use as a general warm water source.

It looks like the mash, ferment and strip processes will take place in the tin shed, and the electric stuff (6 kW 100 litre keg, and other stuff) and other fermenters will be in the clean still room. :D
myles

Equipment type: Hybrid copper / stainless 35 litre pot still, with 2" reflux column option. Propylene glycol double boiler. 160 litre HDPE fermenters and mash tun.
All copper pot still "Rosie" in development.

Re: Stainless Oil Drum Strip Still

Postby S-Cackalacky » Wed Mar 30, 2016 7:50 am

Interesting build. I'm looking forward to seeing your progress. I especially like the idea of injecting the steam in addition to the double boiler water jacket. With a boiler that size, it should help to decrease the heat up time. Good luck with the build.
S-Cackalacky

Postby Rebel_Yell » Wed Mar 30, 2016 7:33 pm

Myles is back! I look forward to your well documented build.
Your results may vary..
I would rather teach a pig to sing than argue with an Idiot.
Every sixty seconds you spend angry, upset or mad,
is a full minute of happiness you'll never get back.
Rebel_Yell

Postby myles » Wed Mar 30, 2016 9:14 pm

For sure.
All my gear is in storage, but I am accumulating bits for a major upgrade as a retirement gift to myself.

In addition to this will be building a copper 4.25" plated column. :D
myles

Equipment type: Hybrid copper / stainless 35 litre pot still, with 2" reflux column option. Propylene glycol double boiler. 160 litre HDPE fermenters and mash tun.

Postby Azframer » Sun Apr 03, 2016 7:04 pm

I'm with RY in looking forward to a well documented build then you toss in a 4.25 copper plated still too.
Friends call me Rick
Drank all night and I am still thirsty!
But I don't feel like I got to much blood in my alcyhol.
Azframer

Equipment type: 5 Gallon Pot Still, Dash1

Postby just sayin' » Mon Apr 04, 2016 3:09 pm

Myles,
I have enjoyed watching your builds for years. "Interesting, very interesting!" to quote Laugh-In's Artie Johnson from 50 years ago. Maybe not quite 50, but close...
Looking forward to following your build!!!
just sayin'

Postby Zymurgy Bob » Mon Apr 04, 2016 11:13 pm

But then you have to fall off your tricycle.
Zymurgy Bob, a simple potstiller http://www.kelleybarts.com/zymurgy-bob- ... e-spirits/

You can make whisky in a reflux still, you can make vodka in a potstill,
and you can eat chicken noodle soup with a crescent wrench. But...
Zymurgy Bob

Equipment type: 60L unpacked 20"x2", propane, with Liebig

Postby myles » Sun Apr 24, 2016 2:52 am

Just for info I am putting up an updated version of the drawing of what was intended to be the set-up for the strip boiler.

The original plan was going to be a simple pot still (steam kettle) and thumper arrangement with the wash in the thumper. The wash could still retain some (or a lot) of solids, which I did not want to heat directly.

When I heard of what Swede was doing with his jacketed boiler (using the jacket to generate steam to inject into the inner boiler) I thought I could "borrow" the idea. Moving from a pot still and thumper arrangement, to putting the thumper inside the pot still, was (to me) a logical step.

Anyway both stainless drums are being fabricated at the moment, and I hope to take delivery in a few weeks.

Pot-thumper strip boiler.png

Putting the thumper inside the pot still is a slightly more complicated build, but it should be do-able. :)
myles

Return to Pot Stills