• Advertisement

Calculating the Output ABV

If you found a good how-to then show us the way there.

Re: Calculating the Output ABV

Postby Fester » Fri Feb 18, 2011 11:00 am

wow. I made it all the way through and I learned a lot.
Great thread Punkin.
I'll definately thin down my low wines before running from now on.
VisionStills
The best distilling hardware at the best prices.
Fester

Postby the pure drop » Mon Oct 24, 2011 5:31 pm

Harry, thank you so much for outlining your method. Makes a lot of sense to me. I will give that a go this weekend on my currently fermenting generation. I will have to fold in some of my low wines from my last strip, but I will use your method.

I dont mind extra effort if it results in a better quality product. That is what I'm after...getting the most out of whatever recipe I'm using...making the best possible quality that I can..clean and tastey. Thank you again harry...and love what tove done with the library...sssssooooo much info there.
the pure drop

Postby astronomical » Sun Mar 25, 2012 1:54 am

The one thing I'm not getting is why you'd default to diluting the charge with wash rather than water. Obviously it makes it so the only dilution you'll ever do with water would be (optionally) after oaking. I'm not a big fan of single run stuff so I think I'd prefer a water dilution, but, still aim for a ~65% average a/v. I plan to try it both ways and also trying it with a thumper.

I have a ton of assorted whiskey low wines waiting to be run. Its gonna make some mystery whiskey. I'm glad I read about the whole hydroseperation of oils thing. It seems like this would be a great time to use that "trick". I'm going to dilute them to 28% and let them sit a day or so before i siphon off the middle section and potstill it. I'll be aiming for ~65%.

Awesome thread, I really enjoyed reading all eleven pages.
Stillin: The only time when I'm not chasin' tails
astronomical

Equipment type: Present projects:
recirculating cooling resevoir, double boiler, BIAB keggle, 7 plate 4",keezer Stills:
60" LM/VM, 24" herbal still, 30" potstill
Boilers:
15.5g keg, 7g kettle (thumper)

Postby jake_leg » Sun Mar 25, 2012 2:25 am

PeterG has been asking questions about this procedure and I think they bear repeating.

I understand the phase separation on adding extra water, but within the aqueous phase there will be no further separation. It will be the same composition throughout due to osmosis. So why not just blot off the oily upper layer?

The standard chemical procedure for separating oily components from an aqueous solution is to shake in a separating funnel with a nonpolar solvent (such a neutral tasting vegetable oil) and then draw off the aqueous layer. Fusels should preferentially dissolve in the nonpolar solvent leaving the desirable components behind.
I remember Aaron Schnell
jake_leg

Postby punkin » Sun Mar 25, 2012 2:25 am

I use wash to increase the flavour. Not a fan either of single run in sugar spirits, this is about 1.5X or equivalent to a thumper perhaps?

Identified Shit Stirrer, upgraded to sociopath.

To the fashionable nationalists

http://www.stilldragon.com.au for all your distilling needs in Australia and New Zealand
punkin

Postby harrisorganic » Wed Apr 15, 2015 4:43 am

Wonderful stuff in this thread.

All my low wines are in the 40% range, so I have never seen this separation as I run the 40% through again to achieve 70% before going to cask.

Now I am wondering if some one has a listing of which types of spirits have the highest of the higher fatty acid esters and long chain saturated carboxylic acids.

I only use grapes for brandy etc. But there must be a difference between barley, corn, rye, sugar .....

Off to reduce my low wines to 27% and neutralise the low wines with potassium carbonate too.
Hari.
harrisorganic

Equipment type: 1600 x 50 stainless column, X flow shotgun RC, SS pot scrubber packed col, VM Head on 50 ltr keg. Pot Still 300L wood fired, 20kW shotgun condensor

Postby Eucyblues » Sun Oct 04, 2015 10:46 pm

Browsing through this old thread.......

I've recently done a number of double distillations and I decided to cut back the low wines with fresh stillage from the same run. :idea: Might seem counter intuitive taking it out and adding it back but....

Stillage is just wash that's been heated and reduced in alcohol after all....

Seems to me to be a better idea than adding water to the low wines, and gives the stillage component even more time on heat (esters) during the spirit run

Has anyone else done this ??
Eucyblues

Previous

Return to Links to Procedures