• Advertisement

nice copper work....

If you found a good how-to then show us the way there.

nice copper work....

Postby zedzedtop » Mon Sep 30, 2013 8:23 am

This is about a steam boiler for a model engine, but in effect could be a very nice condenser:

http://www.rcdon.com/html/vertical_boil ... _28_1.html
'Bubble cap plates are better for batch distillation than perforated plates' - Benjamin Franklin

Fortune cookie: Your whole family are well
zedzedtop

Equipment type: 25G pot, gas or 4500w
pot head or 4'' 3plate bubbler, cm

Re: nice copper work....

Postby zedzedtop » Mon Sep 30, 2013 6:37 pm

Not ruling out the idea of building a steam boiler just like this one, and powering some coils with it. It would need to be bigger, of course, but not need pressure over 15 psi I think. The Scots do start their wash stills with closer to 30psi, but one could get around this by having more surface area. In any case, the riveting job is absolutely stellar, and would look great on a condenser. I do think he should have used a brazing filler and not soft solder however....
'Bubble cap plates are better for batch distillation than perforated plates' - Benjamin Franklin

Fortune cookie: Your whole family are well
zedzedtop

Equipment type: 25G pot, gas or 4500w
pot head or 4'' 3plate bubbler, cm

Postby Rebel_Yell » Mon Sep 30, 2013 9:29 pm

I agree with you observations ZZ. Great link.
Your results may vary..
I would rather teach a pig to sing than argue with an Idiot.
Every sixty seconds you spend angry, upset or mad,
is a full minute of happiness you'll never get back.
Rebel_Yell

Postby LokiBrew » Mon Sep 30, 2013 11:25 pm

+1 on the nice copper work.. and and even better write-up. I like the fitted end cap approach for my impending shotgun cooler, lots of sealing surface area...I'm wondering if I can get the plate to bend back out to make a flange for a tri-clamp as well... He's also spot on with the thermal expansion and contraction pulling the solder apart. I had a bitch of a time using harris stay silv 15 to get a 1" nut on the side of my keg, until the light bulb went off, and I realized I had to heat the whole area and let it cool gradually.. You would have laughed watching me hold two propane torches and a propane/oxy pencil torch for the real heat.
LokiBrew

Equipment type: 2" column on my brew kettle with 1/2 over 3/8 Liebig
2" column on a keg with 1" over 3/4

Postby prairiepiss » Tue Oct 01, 2013 10:33 am

That is a work of art. I love the little steam engines. My uncle had one when I was little. I could have sit there all day watching it chug along. I would love to build one. Really would like to build a small 12 gauge steam engine train. It's on the bucket list.

Interesting steam boiler idea.

Love it. Thanks for sharing.
prairiepiss

Equipment type: 15.5 gal keg boiler with 2 5500w 220v elements. Now running 220v Stilldragon controller on one element.
30" X 2" Pot Still CM modular combo column.
16" X 3" shotgun condenser 5 1/2" X 11" and 4 1/4" X 11" tubes and built in gin basket.
8" bubble ball addition named Fu Man.

Postby pintoshine » Wed Oct 02, 2013 10:03 pm

I hope he remembers to use a dolly to to remove the wrinkles once he creates a lot of wrinkles by reducing the edge.
Distill safe. Make good cuts. Enjoy yourself. Give as much as you take. Have fun doing this incredibly hard work. Be a good example. It's your hobby.
pintoshine

Equipment type: 58L 1.1 meter LM still.
110L Artisan Still Design Hybrid 4 plate with oil filled jacket.
20L copper pot

Return to Links to Procedures