• Advertisement

Vodka

If you found a good how-to then show us the way there.

Vodka

Postby Mr Clean » Fri Oct 25, 2013 9:43 am

Here is a link that has a great deal of information for vodka.
http://www.vodka-tf.com/history_of_vodka/
25g, 4"X60" 10 plate reflux
Mr Clean

Re: Vodka

Postby jake_leg » Fri Oct 25, 2013 3:29 pm

Pardon my skepticism, but the owners of the site seem to be selling new fangled and no doubt very expensive filters.

I'm not against filtering vodka but there are people here who would argue with this assertion:

"Another well-known feature of the Russian vodka is the absence of volatile impurities of the initial brew, unachievable in distilled beverages even by multiple distillations."

The idea that Russian vodka is some kind of ideal substance is a bit of a joke, for a start. I remember that for a few roubles you could try a hit of Terminator at a stand up market booth. And then fall down.

But at least that stuff had a cap on the top. Most 500ml bottles had just a cardboard lid that you push in like on a container of chocolate milk. They are for drinking at one sitting.

Leftovers are great for de-icing your windscreen, presumably. :beer:
I remember Aaron Schnell
jake_leg

Postby sugarcreek » Fri Oct 25, 2013 3:48 pm

My spiced ham alarm bells went off as well. I think that link has appeared her once or twice previously.

[url]Most 500ml bottles had just a cardboard lid that you push in like on a container of chocolate milk.[/url]

Sweet mother!!
What is it about a beautiful sunny afternoon, with the birds singing and the wind rustling through the leaves, that makes you want to get drunk? ~Jack Handey
sugarcreek

Postby jake_leg » Fri Oct 25, 2013 5:21 pm

Mother's milk. Joy of the Rus!
I remember Aaron Schnell
jake_leg

Postby Mr Clean » Sat Oct 26, 2013 7:38 am

I certainly didn't expect to offend anyone with the post, maybe you didn't read the right pages. I was referring to their different links, carbon filtering, history of vodka, etc. Of course they are selling a filtering system but who's buying that. I doubt many of the members can make a high quality product without the aid of a carbon filter. I only make vodka and it needs filtering after going through my 10 plate column to clean up any bad taste that may exist. I put my product next to any off the shelf vodka.
Mr Clean

Postby sugarcreek » Sat Oct 26, 2013 8:08 am

Sorry Mr. Clean, I wasnt referring to spam from you, I meant that the site to which you referred seemed to be disguising it's true intent as educational info.
What is it about a beautiful sunny afternoon, with the birds singing and the wind rustling through the leaves, that makes you want to get drunk? ~Jack Handey
sugarcreek

Postby jake_leg » Sat Oct 26, 2013 8:17 am

It's good to hear about your process Mr Clean. Is that 10 plates from wash or do you do a stripping run first?
I remember Aaron Schnell
jake_leg

Postby Mr Clean » Sun Oct 27, 2013 6:25 am

Regardless what the site portrays, I found good information on it and it seemed like a very good read to me so just thought I'd pass it along, didn't mean to imply anyone was spamming me, sorry if i came across that way.

Gave up on stripping runs several years ago. Couldn't find any difference with or without, just another time consuming step. It's my opinion that 97% doesn't have a whole lot of impurities in it although a slight taste so I stopped the stripping runs and just filter now. I have a 9' X 2" column with activated carbon and ozone injection and the product that comes out of that column is perfect. I've tried every different suggestion from the different forums and spent a lot of time and money and am quite happy with my results. :D It's been a long crazy ride to get here. :8)

OTOH, I tried some all grain a few years back and just decided as much whisky as I drink, easier and cheaper to buy it. I also made a batch of absinthe when that first started out, relatively easy to make and it tasted like like the store bought but was 150 proof and although the process is kind of messy. Then here I am with $100 in botanicals that I'll never use again. :shock:
Mr Clean

Postby Multipleg » Sun Oct 27, 2013 9:12 am

Is there a supplier for these cardboard caps? :)
Multipleg

Return to Links to Procedures