• Advertisement

Solera Ageing

I would expect this topic to have multiple posts by the same person showing us how to do something. If there are pictures, let pint_o_shine know and he can host them for you.

Re: Solera Ageing

Postby Mud » Tue Jan 12, 2010 2:04 pm

Just one thing...That looks a bit tippy if you push it the wrong way. Have you considered a wider base because you have 1/2 of each barrel outside the footprint?
Specialization is for Kiwi.
Artisan Distilling Book
Mud

Equipment type: Keg based pot - sometimes propane powered but mostly electric

Postby RumBull » Tue Jan 12, 2010 8:39 pm

Hey Mud, good point but to ease your mind...
The center of the barrel rests within the foot print. True, some of the barrel rest beyond the foot print but the force of the weight is exerted along it's center line. Would it be less tipsie with a wider foot? yes. Is it tipsie as is? no. I can have two full barrels on one side and remove the barrel from the other. Now if I pushed hard on it it would fall over but it takes some effort. With the barrel put back on it is very hard to lift a foot at all.
RumBull

Equipment type: sankey scotch style pot still

Postby Mud » Tue Jan 12, 2010 8:41 pm

Must just be the camera angel or something. Hate too see that puppy go flying. Glad it's stable. :8)
Specialization is for Kiwi.
Artisan Distilling Book
Mud

Equipment type: Keg based pot - sometimes propane powered but mostly electric

Postby RumBull » Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:00 pm

Yes the picture taken from above does make the base look smaller.
punkin wrote:Jeez, my 50 shengers live in the shed, but carting em in and out of the house would be a mammoth chore

By shengers, do you mean gallons?? Hammer the bung in tight and start rolling!! :wink: I love the pictures of Woodford Reserve Distilley rolling the barrels along an elevated train track from the warehouse!
guillermo wrote:Rumbull, can you tell us your system for making rum before it goes into the barrel?

Just like everyone else!! :D Some key things that I do...Feed grade molasses and brown sugar, I have a wild yeast that I love but also experiment with all kinds of different yeasts each one having a different flavor, I use old dunder that has all kinds of crazy things growing in it, I don't discard any feints, they are distilled again and I add their heart back to stipping runs, I have abandoned hard fast stipping runs so I can concentrate and collect the flavors I like and cut the ones I don't.
RumBull

Equipment type: sankey scotch style pot still

Postby Mangamahu Moonshine » Wed Feb 24, 2016 12:41 am

RumBull wrote: You can use different toast levels on your oak in each container to extract a different taste profile.

Just a question for anybody who does solera aging, if you are using different toast levels throughout the process what variety of effects (if any) are you getting from using them in a specific order?

Like, for example, is going from light to medium to heavy toast imparting a different finished effect in the end than going from heavy to medium to light?

Thanks.
There is no failure, only an increasing gradient in the learning curve. Nothing worth doing comes easy.

Never trust a man who doesn't drink booze or eat pork.
Mangamahu Moonshine

Postby Stargazer14 » Sun Mar 05, 2017 6:57 pm

RumBull wrote:Just a reminder to those that live in areas that have cold winters...
It is real easy to cycle your barrels through many years of seasons in one winter. Just put them outside in the cold for ten days or so and then bring them in the warm house for the same amount of time. Right now we are getting well below freezing every night so there is a good 50+ deg. F difference between outside and in! The staves will inhale and exhale your spirit with each cycle.

For those that try this, it is a good idea to loosen the bung a bit as the barrel warms - pressure can build and cause messy leaks! (ask me how I know...)
Stargazer14

Previous

Return to Teach Us