• Advertisement

How do you say...DEPHLEGMATOR

I would expect this topic to have multiple posts by the same person showing us how to do something. If there are pictures, let pint_o_shine know and he can host them for you.

Re: How do you say...DEPHLEGMATOR

Postby Alchemist75 » Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:19 pm

Phlegm is a 16th-17th century carry over from alchemical jargon:
(historical, chemistry, alchemy) A watery distillation, especially one obtained from plant matter; an aqueous solution. [from 16th c.]
Basically the "phlegm" is the watery part of the distillate. A dephlegmator removes the phlegm aka water.
Precondenser maybe?
I've been running glass stills for over 20 years now and have no shame in saying so.
Alchemist75

Equipment type: All glass equipment, highly modular borosilicate lab glass. Volumes and configurations vary including a copper packed passive reflux apparatus and a modular glass thumper set up.

Re: How do you say...DEPHLEGMATOR

Postby Alchemist75 » Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:33 pm

Maybe instead of calling the product of a stripping run "low wines" you could call it "ye olde phlegmatic spyrit" or "booger shine"
I've been running glass stills for over 20 years now and have no shame in saying so.
Alchemist75

Equipment type: All glass equipment, highly modular borosilicate lab glass. Volumes and configurations vary including a copper packed passive reflux apparatus and a modular glass thumper set up.

Previous

Return to Teach Us