• Advertisement

Electroplating copper on stainless

I would expect this topic to have multiple posts by the same person showing us how to do something. If there are pictures, let pint_o_shine know and he can host them for you.

Re: Electroplating copper on stainless

Postby Mud » Fri May 15, 2009 8:07 pm

It is a gas, Snuffy. By the way, I separated the copper sulfate and cooper crud. Methinks the electrodes were too close together, or maybe the amperage was too high. It was going great at 2 amps. Then I turned it up to 6 and noticed faster consumption of the...cathode(?)

It now resides in a labeled jar in my shop. Someday it'll be a reminder of all the fuckery I used to get up to. The things you learn trying to make booze...

I'd like to try both methods. Maybe I can find a smaller amount at the hardware store.

-Mud
Specialization is for Kiwi.
Artisan Distilling Book
Mud

Equipment type: Keg based pot - sometimes propane powered but mostly electric

Postby BW Redneck » Fri May 15, 2009 8:55 pm

Now I don't know too much about soldering or electroplating, but it seems to me that it might not be a good idea to solder to a coating of some sort, whether it's plated or otherwise coated. The solder bond is only as strong as the bond between the plating and the base metal. A defect in the plating might cause the bond to break.

I've learned this from trying to glue things to a painted surface. I don't know if this holds true in soldering, but it seems counterintuitive to me.

Not that plating is at all bad. I'd love to see a copper-plated keg. :D
moonshine liquor hooch alcohol booze white lightning distillation still reflux moonshining
BW Redneck

Equipment type: 15.5 gal keg pot still, liebig condenser

Postby Ugly » Fri May 15, 2009 9:21 pm

It bonds pretty hard if done well and thoroughly... I've done this kind of thing for a long time. Poor plating will peel, good plating won't come off with anything but a grinder or reverse plating (not always possible). The materials we're talking about here make a very good plate because of the noble difference on the periodic table. It would be better if it were nickel flashed first but that's not realistic on a home scale.

No offense, but it's not at all like paint imho...

Thought;
Try it yourself. Plate two kitchen knives and do a good job using the optional cleaning method. Solder them into an X with a bit of solder at the junction. Then twist them apart and see what gives and what kind of load it takes. Repeat the experiment starting at the solder stage (don't plate them in other words) with two small pieces of flattened copper pipe. Compare.

You'll find the copper will likely break/bend in both cases at around the same load. You give up nothing by doing a good plating job.
You can't say c**t in Canada
Ugly

Postby trthskr4 » Sat May 16, 2009 6:52 am

I'm gonna practice up and a copper plated keg is definitely on the way. Very nice tut Ugly and thanks for bringing it up Snuffy. :8)

Is there too much crap in a racked off sugar wash to use as a bath for the electroplating? :arrow: I mean hell if a bit of sugar and an acid bath is what you need then an unfinished sugar wash that you could toss out would be a waste of wash but if it would work then it's cheap enough. I know it's probably the dumbest thing but I thought I'd ask since everyone's looking for other things to use. Probably too many contaminants in it.
Maybe.....Chicken tastes like everything else.
trthskr4

Equipment type: Pot still w/Liebeg on a 15.5 Gal. keg.
Charles 803 w/ 50 Gal. boiler.

Postby minime » Sat May 16, 2009 7:33 am

snuffy wrote:this place is a gas. :D

for sure, for sure, for sure. Hats off to you guys. I am in awe!
Never save the best for last!
minime

Equipment type: VM enthusiast.

Postby Ugly » Sat May 16, 2009 8:08 am

trthskr4 wrote:I'm gonna practice up and a copper plated keg is definitely on the way. Very nice tut Ugly and thanks for bringing it up Snuffy. :8)
Is there too much crap in a racked off sugar wash to use as a bath for the electroplating? :arrow: .

If you're going to do a copper plated keg I'll likely recommend a different series of steps to take care of it. A lye dip, a strong acid dip and a different copper solution. Plus I'll have to figure out the rough sq/in of the keg to make a recommendation for power with a new copper bearing solution. plus you're going to have to dip it while it's full and will sink...

It's possible, but takes a different approach.

Yeah there are way too many variables in backset or wash to use it as plating solution.

Uh.... why do you want to plate a keg ?
Ugly

Postby trthskr4 » Sat May 16, 2009 8:49 am

Ugly wrote:Yeah there are way too many variables in backset or wash to use it as plating solution.

Yeah, figured that but it was a thought that went through my mind and I won't know unless I ask. Thanks for the affirmation.

Ugly wrote:Uh.... why do you want to plate a keg ?

How many other people do you know that have a copper plated keg? :mg:
trthskr4

Postby Ugly » Sat May 16, 2009 9:33 am

trthskr4 wrote:How many other people do you know that have a copper plated keg? :mg:

:lol: :lol:

ZERO

Note: plating won't go over top of solder
Ugly

Postby punkin » Sat May 16, 2009 2:21 pm

plus you're going to have to dip it while it's full and will sink...

Unless you wanted to plate the inside as well.... :wink:

Now there's a good reason to plate a keg.... :8)

Identified Shit Stirrer, upgraded to sociopath.

To the fashionable nationalists

http://www.stilldragon.com.au for all your distilling needs in Australia and New Zealand
punkin

Postby Ugly » Sat May 16, 2009 2:37 pm

You're all bastards you know.... I mean that in the best possible way.

I went and dug a keg out of the pile... let see how many times it takes before I get it right.

shit... should I really try doing the inside? Have to fill it with acid between coats and there's no easy way to scrub it out... suggestions?

Edit: I think it better get welded first... it'll need to have the connections installed..
Ugly

Postby trthskr4 » Sat May 16, 2009 2:42 pm

Do you have a triclover fitting with a cap to put over the end and seal it? If you do put in some marbles or crushed glass and put the cap on and roll it around the yard. Then dump them out and rinse before the next coat.
trthskr4

Postby Ugly » Sat May 16, 2009 2:58 pm

That's a good thought, not sure about banging the outside of it around though, I'm looking at this keg and thinking it's going to take a lot of polishing to take the nicks out of it the way it is now. If I roll it around in the gravel it's going to get worse.

Wish I had a new one.

And with that thought, let's see if I can buy one of those little guys (15 gal?) from the maple syrup place.
Ugly

Postby punkin » Sat May 16, 2009 5:20 pm

I have an unused (by me) one with a 4" hole cut in the top, four stainless studs welded on and a drain. I have an identical one with a fill port that i use atm which would be easy enough for me to get my arm in and scrub (non vigourously i hope) the inside.

The benefits of copper plating would be the catalytic reaction in the boiler, may also be some heat distribution benefits.

Plus it'd be so nice and shiny outside.... :mg:

Identified Shit Stirrer, upgraded to sociopath.

To the fashionable nationalists

http://www.stilldragon.com.au for all your distilling needs in Australia and New Zealand
punkin

Postby trthskr4 » Sat May 16, 2009 6:41 pm

Will electroplating the copper give the same chemical reaction inside the boiler as would pure copper? I didn't think it was a full copper molecule adhering to the new surface.
trthskr4

Postby Ugly » Sat May 16, 2009 7:14 pm

It's real copper... it will take on the same patina as well.
Ugly

PreviousNext

Return to Teach Us