• Advertisement

Electroplating copper on stainless

I would expect this topic to have multiple posts by the same person showing us how to do something. If there are pictures, let pint_o_shine know and he can host them for you.

Re: Electroplating copper on stainless

Postby Ugly » Thu Jun 04, 2009 6:48 pm

I'm surprised the muriatic acid process required that many. Going back to your initial statements about the process I'd have to say the bath wasn't as saturated as it could be at the later stages and you might have benefited from increased bath saturation due to the increase in used voltage and that re-saturating the bath between clean ferrules might also have been beneficial.
You can't say c**t in Canada
Ugly

Postby Mud » Thu Jun 04, 2009 7:16 pm

Once they were in the larger bath 2 more dips each did it.
Specialization is for Kiwi.
Artisan Distilling Book
Mud

Equipment type: Keg based pot - sometimes propane powered but mostly electric

Postby Ugly » Thu Jun 04, 2009 7:26 pm

true, you tried with a much lower volume than my calculations led me to recommend initially
You can't say c**t in Canada
Ugly

Postby evilpsych » Mon Jun 08, 2009 10:10 am

would reverse electrolysis work to clean the pieces prior to plating in a separate bath then a rinse in distilled water? I've used reverse electrolysis to clean ancient silver coins before, and it works very well.
I just realized that my life is a very complicated drinking game...
evilpsych

Equipment type: 15.5g Electric Keg boiler. 7.75g pony keg thumper - Simple potstill head with pinto-troller.

Postby SuperDavid » Mon Aug 03, 2009 3:17 pm

how has this been working for everyone?
any updates or refining on this method?
SuperDavid

Postby billy_bob_95 » Mon Aug 03, 2009 4:21 pm

Done several stainless steel ferrule with this method. Works like a charm when it is done right. Takes time but the out come is well worth it.
billy_bob_95

Postby SuperDavid » Tue Aug 04, 2009 1:27 pm

I'm gonna give it a crack!
my easy flange last time works well...but was hard to make and I'm very interested in this electroplating business! So if I can get away with copper plating some stainless that would be great!
SuperDavid

Postby WalkingWolf » Mon Jan 18, 2010 6:28 pm

Like others before me, I'm going to give this a shot.

MUD: What size container did you end up going with for the "bath"?

I have a 3.5 volt phone charger I intended to use for the power source. Would it be of any benefit to use a 5 volt instead? (have that one on standby) I have sodium carbonate for the base and Muriatic acid 30% for the acid.

I have 5X3" ferrules and 2X1" to plate. Should I let the solution fully resaturate after each use?? Any other tips and/or pointers anyone may have picked up along the way??

thanks
WalkingWolf
WalkingWolf

Postby Mud » Wed Jan 20, 2010 5:34 pm

Just saw this post...I did mine individually and used a plastic tote about 8.5" x 11" x 5" deep. Not sure if it's mentioned above, but you don't want the electrodes too close to the ferrule. During a test on a spoon it applied in fuzzy clumps because all the pieces were practically touching. Seems like 3"-4" clearance was sufficient.

As far as I know lower voltage will take longer but give a better result. I used a battery charger and at higher settings the copper built op on the side toward the anode (maybe). One side or the other anyway.

I'd keep using the bath until it's depleted and then resaturate. It should last a while, but I don't know how long. Maybe someone else can answer. Too bad Ugly isn't here anymore.

-Mud
Specialization is for Kiwi.
Artisan Distilling Book
Mud

Equipment type: Keg based pot - sometimes propane powered but mostly electric

Postby riverpirate » Mon Feb 08, 2010 10:38 pm

Ultra cool thread here!!!!!

This could save a lot of time. Have been thinking of doind a modular build to have interchangeable peices(ie heads, plates etc)
I was sober all morning... 'til I woke up this afternoon
riverpirate

Equipment type: 2" x 48" VM Column
2" potstill
15 gal keg propane fired

Postby The Loucher » Wed Apr 07, 2010 10:53 am

Pretty neat, the brushing on method is cool. I anodize at home so this type of stuff is not new to me, but as I've said I've only anodized at home and have a couple questions.

I read through most of the thread but didn't see an answer, are these methods food safe? Oddly enough before finding this thread I thought of the same idea but for a large column as stainless is way cheaper than copper. Therefore I called a local plater and they do the new plating techniques, non-cyanide, where they don't need a nickle strike first and I asked him if it was food safe and he said no. But that doesn't surprise me as I'm sure he was saying that to be safe, but they do copperplate pots and pans for cooking. So does anyone know for a FACT if I do a submerged copper plate directly on some stainless pipe would it be food safe to use as a column? Thanks, this is my first post here, but I'm on the other boards.
The Loucher

Postby pintoshine » Wed Apr 07, 2010 11:42 am

In general copper cookware has ne ver been considered food safe. That is why almost all copper cookware and utensils that come in contact with food is plated with tin. Tin is definately food safe becasue we lack the ability to absorb tin salts. Copper salts though are dangerous in large quantities.
We are fortunate that high proof spirits do not disolve the copper away as do the tails in a stripping run.

food safe and spirit safe shold not be used interchangably. There are quite a number of things that are food safe that are not alcohol tolerant at all. and visa versa. Copper and tomatoes is not a good combination. Copper oxides are very soluble in acidic foods.
Distill safe. Make good cuts. Enjoy yourself. Give as much as you take. Have fun doing this incredibly hard work. Be a good example. It's your hobby.
pintoshine

Equipment type: 58L 1.1 meter LM still.
110L Artisan Still Design Hybrid 4 plate with oil filled jacket.
20L copper pot

Postby The Loucher » Wed Apr 07, 2010 3:42 pm

I hear that. So do you think that copper plating over stainless is just as safe as pure copper pipe for a column. The only reason I ask is my logic thinking is harsh chemicals are used to plate and maybe some get stuck in between the copper and stainless or it changes the copper or leave residue that won't come off with just soap and water but distillate will? I mean if the only things left are copper and stainless then it should be all right?
The Loucher

Postby The Loucher » Wed Apr 07, 2010 3:44 pm

Sorry double post as the servers crashed and it wouldn't go through.
The Loucher

Postby anuran » Thu May 06, 2010 8:52 pm

It seems straightforward enough. My question is about durability.
Copper and stainless steel have thermal expansion coefficients. Will heating and cooling a copper-plated vessel destroy the plating after a while?
anuran

PreviousNext

Return to Teach Us