• Advertisement

My findings for Fermenting Sugar

I would expect this topic to have multiple posts by the same person showing us how to do something. If there are pictures, let pint_o_shine know and he can host them for you.

Re: My findings for Fermenting Sugar

Postby minime » Tue Nov 10, 2009 7:05 am

Fester wrote:I have a notepad document named PintoShine. When I come across tidbits and words of wisdom from pinto, I copy and past it there. Except for mashing corn, that's the only one that keep adding to.

And here I thought I was the only one with a PintoShine document. :8)
Never save the best for last!
minime

Equipment type: VM enthusiast.

Postby Rebel_Yell » Tue Nov 10, 2009 5:03 pm

I generate a PDF of the posts that I save. One can also bookmark a page.
Your results may vary..
I would rather teach a pig to sing than argue with an Idiot.
Every sixty seconds you spend angry, upset or mad,
is a full minute of happiness you'll never get back.
Rebel_Yell

Postby mort4 » Tue Nov 10, 2009 6:13 pm

Wish I had been doing that all along, now I have to go back through everything. :x
Once in a while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right
mort4

Equipment type: 2"x50" copper VM, with 8" dixiedrifter reflux coil and SD torpedo.
2" potstill head, 36" liebig product condenser. Propane fired. Three plate SD bubbler.
Member of Hobby Distillers Association

Postby pintoshine » Tue Nov 10, 2009 6:57 pm

I read the whole document that harry posted and it has the word hydrochloric in it exactly once.
There was a paragraph that stated that the use of sulfuric acid tended to cause the high prevalence of calcium to form calcium sulfate. This is not bad but it is not as soluble and they were only pointing it out as a possible way to reduce the fouling on plates.
Since there is so much calcium in the molasses I speculate that most of the chlorine, present as free ions in HCL, which yeast are not very tolerant of, is reacted into calcium chloride which a bound form of chlorine that is not as detrimental to yeast.

This is indeed a special case.
Distill safe. Make good cuts. Enjoy yourself. Give as much as you take. Have fun doing this incredibly hard work. Be a good example. It's your hobby.
pintoshine

Equipment type: 58L 1.1 meter LM still.
110L Artisan Still Design Hybrid 4 plate with oil filled jacket.
20L copper pot

Postby stillbrewin » Wed Oct 05, 2011 8:22 pm

Ok, maybe I'm missing something (could be rather large :) ), but I've done sugar washes twice - both times for 'cleaning runs'. I'll never make that mistake again....

Both were table sugar, 10lbs/5gal, with good water and inverted with lemon juice and boiling. Fermentation went off like gang-busters. On the first I used turbo and thought the bad result was due to that. So on the second I used champagne yeast.

And both times they smelled like something I didn't even want to smell - let alone drink. I mean this stuff was nasty Like really bad athletes foot. :shock: - the wash and the spirits! I know it didn't go off to vinegar, but still took me 4-5 washes/rinses/boils to get the stench out of my fermenter and still.

The only good part was it made fairly decent weed killer.... so what did I do wrong? I've been making some fairly acceptable all-grain whiskey, so the results with sugar were somewhat surprising.

SB
stillbrewin

Postby kiwi » Wed Oct 05, 2011 8:33 pm

Did you just pot still it? What are you trying to make?
Specialization is for insects.
kiwi

Equipment type: Pot/VM combo (thanks Punkin)

Postby punkin » Thu Oct 06, 2011 12:21 am

Sounds like an infection of some sorts.

Identified Shit Stirrer, upgraded to sociopath.

To the fashionable nationalists

http://www.stilldragon.com.au for all your distilling needs in Australia and New Zealand
punkin

Postby YeastPimp » Fri Jan 10, 2014 7:53 pm

I know the last post is years old... Just re-reading this for the who-knows-how-many time.

As for a source of phosphoric acid, what about Five Star's StarSan*? It's 50% phosphoric acid, we use it ALL the time for sanitizing fermentation equipment, bottles, etc, and whatever residue is left over and diluted, the yeast love. Just wondering.
YeastPimp

Equipment type: Starting over

Postby Scout » Fri Mar 14, 2014 4:13 pm

This is lots of great information that I now have in my notebook. Thank you Pint and all the others, I can try making a rum now to go along with my all malts and all grains.
Just a Cooper and whisky maker
"We love visitors! That's why we live in a secluded cabin deep in the woods"
Scout

Equipment type: 1951 built copper pot still with heater box and thumper. 10 gal copper pot rig for experiments. 10- 3 gal. white oak barrels for aging

Postby acfixer69 » Fri Mar 14, 2014 10:15 pm

Over the years this thread pops up and when I read it again I always pick up some thing new that clicks. Why something I did worked, and why something else i did, did not.
I think this thread is priceless and all nube's should bookmark it and refer to it often. Thanks Pint

AC
My 4" column build
viewtopic.php?f=61&t=4800
acfixer69

Equipment type: Small pot still
4" modular bubble plate
15.5 gal keg with 2 45Kw elements /50 amp phase angle controller

Previous

Return to Teach Us