• Advertisement

New Automated Still Videos.

Links to YouTube and other video sites are welcome. If you have videos you own recommend them also.

Re: New Automated Still Videos.

Postby mavnkaf » Sun Nov 22, 2009 5:54 pm

Dephlegmator is the old word for a reflux condenser.

Thanks Snuffy for that simple explanation.

Cheers
Marc
Pilots can act and behave anyway they like because they spend more time closer to GOD compared to most religious people and priests, these unskilled souls spend most of their lives on the ground which means they are closer to HELL than HEAVEN!
mavnkaf

Location: In the ass end of Victoria aka Gippsland, VIC, Australia, the bit that was "Jeffed"

Postby Harry » Sun Nov 22, 2009 7:08 pm

Dephlegmator is the old word for a reflux condenser.

A 'Partial' reflux condenser actually, as opposed to a 'Total' reflux condenser.

Partial condensers allow 'some' of the vapors to pass by while liquefying the balance as reflux. Think CM type stills.

EDIT: Evaluation of dephlegmation as an alternative separation process to distillation

Slainte!
regards Harry
http://distillers.tastylime.net/

Winning the hearts & minds; one post at a time.
(you will be assimilated. resistance is futile.)
Harry

Equipment type: 25 Lt 1500W elec. boiler, 2" x 40" packed column VM, x-flow O/head HX, crimp-path Liebig HX, VM proportioning valve, all in copper.
Various experimental gear.

Postby olcarguy » Sun Nov 22, 2009 9:46 pm

Nice+ Pint, Next time can you get a better shot of that parrot, it looks sweet......
I am "CANADIAN"
As I have grown older, I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible-
but pissing everyone off, is a piece of cake.
olcarguy

Equipment type: 6gal Milk can Pot still, 3gal thumper......

Postby mavnkaf » Tue Nov 24, 2009 6:59 am

Harry wrote
A 'Partial' reflux condenser actually, as opposed to a 'Total' reflux condenser.

Partial condensers allow 'some' of the vapors to pass by while liquefying the balance as reflux. Think CM type stills

Thanks Harry, your post prompted me to look and learn, and now I understand.

“Most artisan stills are of the reflux or pot column design because of the inherent flexibility that they offer. The best known manufacturers of pot and reflux stills are: Vendome, Holstein, Christian Carl and Forsyth. These brands of still come with multiple bubble-cap trays, and each tray can be by-passed by operating a lever. These stills can also be purchased with a dephlegmator, which is a chilling apparatus at the top of the column comprised of a bank of tubes with cold water running through them to increase the reflux, and therefore the purity of the distillate. The still can be operated with the dephlegmator disabled, or with cold water running through it at whatever rate the operator chooses. Between the variability of the dephlegmator and the ability to bypass, or not, the multiple bubble-cap trays, just about any level of separation can be achieved with these artisan stills. That’s why they make such excellent whiskey stills.”

And,

“Often pot stills are fitted with a dephlegmator, or what the Scots call a purifier. The dephlegmator is fitted with baffles that use water plates or tubes to cool the distillate, sending 90 percent of it back to the pot. Its main purpose is the enrichment of the spirits before they’re sent on to the condenser.”

http://tinyurl.com/ybkjv28

Cheers
Marc
Pilots can act and behave anyway they like because they spend more time closer to GOD compared to most religious people and priests, these unskilled souls spend most of their lives on the ground which means they are closer to HELL than HEAVEN!
mavnkaf

Location: In the ass end of Victoria aka Gippsland, VIC, Australia, the bit that was "Jeffed"

Postby Rednose » Fri Oct 15, 2010 1:33 pm

Beautiful still, great vids. :8)

I’m actually planning the control panel of my stills and would love a wifi based additional control.

Where can I find the software?
What is the interface (hardware) ?

Thanks in advance

Joe
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up. ~Robert Frost
Rednose

Equipment type: ................. No flutes, only stills.

From 4 to 10 inch column diameter and 50 to 300 Ltr boiler gas/steam heated.

In avatar 10 inch bubbler and 6 inch rectificator (95%VOL)

Commercial licenced distillery

Previous

Return to Video