• Advertisement

This is the last dam run of likker i'll ever make...

Links to YouTube and other video sites are welcome. If you have videos you own recommend them also.

This is the last dam run of likker i'll ever make...

Postby Ratabilly » Sat Mar 05, 2011 8:50 am

If anyone is interested, here's the youtube link for "this is the last run of likker i'll ever make" from Popcorn Sutton... its basically "The Last One" but with a lot more footage...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hXkoc5-9a-Y

I've seen "The last One" and from a distillers point of view, this extended version has a lot more information on what he's actually doing all the way through the run.

Enjoy.
It aged on the way out of the worm. :mg:
Ratabilly

Equipment type: keg beer stripper, 4 gallon spirit still with 2 gallon thumper, and another 3 gallon pot still lyin' around if anybody's willing to help.

Re: This is the last dam run of likker i'll ever make...

Postby Bushman » Sat Mar 05, 2011 8:59 am

Thanks for the link, I did enjoy it!
Bushman

Equipment type: I have a VM still with a 2" column and a keg for a boiler and a 4" CM still that runs on electric heat.

Postby WalkingWolf » Sun Mar 06, 2011 4:57 am

Thanks for the link Ratabilly -- I'm a fan of yesteryear and enjoy documentary type works that reflect on the way things used to be. Reminds me of how folks used to get together and have a "killin", hog or calf, and lots of folks would turn out and lend a hand. There'd be music and laughter all the while the work was getting done. Had my first taste of moonshine at a hog-killin at an uncle's place. Folks lives aint lived like this no more. Everybody too busy and life's too quick. It's 0350 AM here right now and I'm so excited I can't sleep. In about 3 hours I'm taking my 10yo son and we're traveling back to my home town to celebrate an age-old tradition -- a country Mardi Gras (Fat Tuesday). In the rural areas of South Louisiana folks would travel the countryside on horseback collecting chickens and fixins to take back and make a big gumbo. This was the last "shen-dig" before the lenten season which starts on Ash Wednesday. There'll be a parade through town this afternoon. My son and I are going to meet up with my brother and the three of us will go and join up with about 150 horseback riders that make the treck through the countryside. We stop at farm houses and the landowners will release chickens and the men (young men for the most part) will run down the chickens and put them in cages on the wagons. There will be one wagon with a 4 piece band playing traditional cajun music and there'll be a couple wagons with tubs of beer. We'll make our way back to town in the early afternoon and this mass of livestock and humanity will spearhead the parade as it makes it's way through town. Needless to say, my chicken chasing days are long past at this point but I do enjoy the horseback ride through the countryside and being able to visit with friends and relatives. This will be my sons first Mardi Gras "run".
WalkingWolf

Postby kiwi » Sun Mar 06, 2011 5:18 am

Enjoyed that, thanks. My favourite part was the reasoning that it wasn't illegal because he'd paid tax on the copper :8)
Specialization is for insects.
kiwi

Equipment type: Pot/VM combo (thanks Punkin)

Postby minime » Sun Mar 06, 2011 9:45 am

WalkingWolf wrote:Thanks for the link Ratabilly -- I'm a fan of yesteryear and enjoy documentary type works that reflect on the way things used to be. Reminds me of how folks used to get together and have a "killin", hog or calf, and lots of folks would turn out and lend a hand. There'd be music and laughter all the while the work was getting done. Had my first taste of moonshine at a hog-killin at an uncle's place. Folks lives aint lived like this no more. Everybody too busy and life's too quick. It's 0350 AM here right now and I'm so excited I can't sleep. In about 3 hours I'm taking my 10yo son and we're traveling back to my home town to celebrate an age-old tradition -- a country Mardi Gras (Fat Tuesday). In the rural areas of South Louisiana folks would travel the countryside on horseback collecting chickens and fixins to take back and make a big gumbo. This was the last "shen-dig" before the lenten season which starts on Ash Wednesday. There'll be a parade through town this afternoon. My son and I are going to meet up with my brother and the three of us will go and join up with about 150 horseback riders that make the treck through the countryside. We stop at farm houses and the landowners will release chickens and the men (young men for the most part) will run down the chickens and put them in cages on the wagons. There will be one wagon with a 4 piece band playing traditional cajun music and there'll be a couple wagons with tubs of beer. We'll make our way back to town in the early afternoon and this mass of livestock and humanity will spearhead the parade as it makes it's way through town. Needless to say, my chicken chasing days are long past at this point but I do enjoy the horseback ride through the countryside and being able to visit with friends and relatives. This will be my sons first Mardi Gras "run".

Now that sounds like my kind of party! Hope your son loves it enough to teach his son :8)
Never save the best for last!
minime

Equipment type: VM enthusiast.

Postby Swede » Sun Mar 06, 2011 1:19 pm

I just watched the whole thing, I must've had a dumb smile on my face the whole time. :) :) Thanks for posting that up Ratabilly.

Swede
Swede

Equipment type: 9000w 30gal electric double boiler with jacket generated direct steam injection/PWM controller with PID temp control for automated shutdown, column temp monitoring, and mash-in-pot, 4" Stainless 4 Tray bubble cap/wier type downcomer column

Postby vb » Sun Mar 06, 2011 3:54 pm

I did enjoy that, gonna have to get the dvd.

but I'm pretty sure he lied.
See You Next Tuesday.
vb

Equipment type: yes, and lots of it

Postby Squint » Sun Mar 06, 2011 4:26 pm

if it was me I'd get lost in the woods looking for the right spot

14 GigaByte in total, if you put it on your hard drive :D

don't ask Grandson did it for me :? :)
Squint

Equipment type: It's all gone to a new home,

Sad, really Sad I am.

Postby Adverse Effects » Sun Mar 06, 2011 7:38 pm

Squint wrote:14 GigaByte in total, if you put it on your hard drive :D

don't ask Grandson did it for me :? :)

WTF? umm no its 900MB

you have done something realy wrong

untitled.jpg
untitled.jpg (48.05 KiB) Viewed 8513 times

and if you rip the DVD you should be able to get it to less than 700 and fit on a CD

if you want me to show you how to do it let me know and i'll remote in to your system and teach you how
Some people say its "FREE" but i say "there ant no free lunch" you get what you pay/work for
Help those that help them self first
Ponu still head
60mm X 2040mm VM-LM-POT still
Adverse Effects

Equipment type: .
25Lt old keg as a BOP
87Lt very old Keg as a BOP
226Lt SS pot as a BOP
prototype Ponu still head

60mmX2040mm VM-LM-POT still

5Mt of 12.5mm tube coiled in to a 600mm long encapsulated liebig

Postby punkin » Mon Mar 07, 2011 3:20 am

Watching a couple of em atm and really enjoying it.

AE, why don't you just join it all up for us and host it somewhere for a day or two so we can burn it?

Identified Shit Stirrer, upgraded to sociopath.

To the fashionable nationalists

http://www.stilldragon.com.au for all your distilling needs in Australia and New Zealand
punkin

Postby Decoy » Mon Mar 07, 2011 4:46 am

go to realplayer and download realplayer basic.

http://www.real.com.au/?mode=rp

after you install it when you go to you tube or any other flash player etc video site, works with redtube etc..

go to the video you want to DL, on you tube you can select select your resolution in the bottom right corner of the video

as soon as the video starts playing move your mouse over it and in the top right of the video a button appears giving you the option to DL the video.

it will save it in the original format its uploaded in you mydocumnets folder under realplayer downloads

the popcorn videos are in FLv format and between 97-130mb each.

:beer:
Cheers
Decoy..

"Artisan Distiller" The art of making your own distillation apparatus for the
purpose of home distillation of spirits alcohol or ethanol for personal use.
Decoy

Postby Adverse Effects » Mon Mar 07, 2011 5:51 am

Decoy wrote:the popcorn videos are in FLv format and between 97-130mb each.

:beer:

and once you have them use flv converter portable
Some people say its "FREE" but i say "there ant no free lunch" you get what you pay/work for
Help those that help them self first
Ponu still head
60mm X 2040mm VM-LM-POT still
Adverse Effects

Equipment type: .
25Lt old keg as a BOP
87Lt very old Keg as a BOP
226Lt SS pot as a BOP
prototype Ponu still head

60mmX2040mm VM-LM-POT still

5Mt of 12.5mm tube coiled in to a 600mm long encapsulated liebig

Postby Ratabilly » Mon Mar 07, 2011 6:38 am

No problemo, i've been watching this guy that uploaded half of it on his youtube channel about 8 months ago, and stopped at part 7. I'd check about once a month if he had uploaded the rest, and then last time i checked, somebody else had fully uploaded the documentary, and the video is better quality than the first one anyway.

I saved it with YouTube Downloader, It's about 1.2 gig, but im sure if you convert it to AVI or something you can compress it some more...
Ratabilly

Equipment type: keg beer stripper, 4 gallon spirit still with 2 gallon thumper, and another 3 gallon pot still lyin' around if anybody's willing to help.

Postby Tracker » Mon Mar 07, 2011 7:10 am

I just watched the lot. If you can ignore the parts which were obviously done for the camera, I mean, who builds a moonshiner shack in the middle of the woods and hangs out a shingle to say who owns it, drives all over the countryside in a Model A in the 21st century, thinking that no-one will notice him and towards the end, has a fiddle and banjo band playing while they are bottling the product?
There are some parts however which explain the procedures which we are using today and gives a bit of an insight into how the oldtimers possibly built there permanant stills. I don't think though that they would go to all that trouble just for one rum.
But then, that may just be me.

Cheers.
Tracker

Equipment type: 50 litre keg, SD 2" to 4" torpedo with 2 bubble plates, Dephlegmator, Pot still arm, copper SPP and condenser.(Tracker Stacker Flavour Packer)
Various pot still/thumper configurations.
Bok 2" slant plate for neutral and cleaning up mistakes.

Postby Ratabilly » Mon Mar 07, 2011 7:44 am

yup, you're right tracker. A lot of it was just a "show"...

But back home, they'll do all of what you've seen in that video for all kinds of events. (Maple Sugar season, moonshining, animal killings...) The bluegrass music, the old temporary shack (sometimes permanent), the old vehicles and everything else is part of the hillbilly lifestyle.

Now, if you knew Popcorn, knew he was the only one in town that owns a model A and seen it parked randomly somewhere in the bush on the side of the road, well you're right... it's a bit dumb.

But if most people (in a more remote town) ARE hillbillies, and most of them own old vehicles, and all look alike with their overalls and plaid shirts, well then its not that uncommon after all... :wink:

I gotta agree about the Model A though, it is kind of easy to spot... But everything else is still happening in some areas to this day, although you wont see it happen EVERY day... Welcome to rural Canada! :roflmao:

Edit: 'cause of stuff that didn't quite make sense, pardon my french.
Ratabilly

Next

Return to Video