• Advertisement

This is the last dam run of likker i'll ever make...

Links to YouTube and other video sites are welcome. If you have videos you own recommend them also.

Re: This is the last dam run of likker i'll ever make...

Postby Ratabilly » Thu Dec 15, 2011 9:59 am

Yeah, that is called reading the bead.

Bigger bubbles that last for a second or 2=real high %ABV, also called "Goose eye" cause there about the size od a goose's eye.

Smaller bubbles that last longer IE 3-7 seconds=lower abv.

When you get good at it, you can basically tell the %ABV of your likker just buy looking at the size of the bead and how long they last before dissipating.

Found this post about it on here: viewtopic.php?f=31&t=3530&p=50283&hilit=reading+bead#p50283

Couldn't find anything else on the subject but heres a link to another forum that has a bit more detailed post on the subject: http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 0#p6868512

Not sure if im allowed to post something from another forum, but there are a couple of posts on it regarding "reading the bead".

EDIT: forgot to mention, but if you look at Floyd Sutton (Popcorn's brother with the glasses) when he's "tampering" the likker with water in that wooden half barrel at the end of the run, he's taking a big spoon and swishes the likker around in there, making some bubbles... he's cutting it down do drinkable strength by reading the bead too.
It aged on the way out of the worm. :mg:
Ratabilly

Equipment type: keg beer stripper, 4 gallon spirit still with 2 gallon thumper, and another 3 gallon pot still lyin' around if anybody's willing to help.

Re: This is the last dam run of likker i'll ever make...

Postby snakeater » Fri Dec 16, 2011 11:00 pm

Here is ones mans work around for expensive hydrometers. And so eloquently put .
http://youtu.be/G03fUoZZwBE
snakeater

Equipment type: Grandpa's 12 gallon copper pot and 5 gallon thumper

Previous

Return to Video