• Advertisement

Envy - Cachasa empire

Links to YouTube and other video sites are welcome. If you have videos you own recommend them also.

Envy - Cachasa empire

Postby Harry » Sun Nov 13, 2011 3:51 am

I have everything I need to duplicate this family business, right outside my back door. Only thing missing is a licence to distil rum. Our Govt. is so one-eyed here in Queensland Oz.

Slainte!
regards Harry
http://distillers.tastylime.net/

Winning the hearts & minds; one post at a time.
(you will be assimilated. resistance is futile.)
Harry

Equipment type: 25 Lt 1500W elec. boiler, 2" x 40" packed column VM, x-flow O/head HX, crimp-path Liebig HX, VM proportioning valve, all in copper.
Various experimental gear.

Re: Envy - Cachasa empire

Postby Zymurgy Bob » Sun Nov 13, 2011 8:53 am

Well, go for it , Harry. Did you figure on weaving all those cane bottle-baskets yourself, too? :roflmao:
Zymurgy Bob, a simple potstiller http://www.kelleybarts.com/zymurgy-bob- ... e-spirits/

You can make whisky in a reflux still, you can make vodka in a potstill,
and you can eat chicken noodle soup with a crescent wrench. But...
Zymurgy Bob

Equipment type: 60L unpacked 20"x2", propane, with Liebig

Postby mikejwoodnz » Sun Nov 13, 2011 2:04 pm

Yep good information. I took a look at your latest Australian Government report - they allow Home Distilling now with a excise manufacturer licence :

"Do you need a licence to distil alcohol?
If you want to distil alcohol you must hold an excise manufacturer licence prior to distilling alcohol, regardless of the size or capacity of the still. Licence application forms are available at http://www.ato.gov.au/excise
What if you want to distil alcohol at home?
If you have a still at home, you must hold an excise manufacturer licence before you can distil alcohol. Excise licences are only granted to applicants who can demonstrate they meet the requirements set out in the Excise Act 1901. These include the need for physically secure premises (to prevent any other person having access to the licensed area), skills and experience in distillation, having professionally calibrated volume and alcoholic strength measuring equipment and an approved record keeping system.
You must pay excise duty on any alcohol you produce. The current rate is in excess of $71 per litre of alcohol. For example, on a 700ml bottle of vodka at an alcoholic strength of 40% the excise duty would be approximately $20 per bottle."

http://www.ato.gov.au/content/downloads ... 092010.pdf

http://www.ato.gov.au/content/downloads ... 042010.pdf

So there you have it in black and white - no worries :beer:
My Terminal Cancer is now : maybe a little remission :-)
mikejwoodnz

Equipment type: 75 litre SS "Milk Can" Pot Still, Onion Head, 1.5m Copper Liebig, SS Fermenters, AirStills . . .

Postby Harry » Sun Nov 13, 2011 6:52 pm

Thanks for the 'heads-up' Mike. Now you see what I mean about our Govt. being "one-eyed". They don't want anyone to compete with the 'established' distillers. If one tries, then one must shoulder ALL the risk, and give any profits to the crown.

1. I refuse to be an unpaid tax collector.

2. I'd still like to know what constitutes a 'still' of 5 or more litres capacity. Is it the 'pot' capacity, the production capacity in one batch, or something else? After all, we can make a fairly small column without a 'pot' that just continually processes a feed of 200ml/min. Is this classed as capacity? Over what timeframe?

3. And if they think anyone in Oz is silly enough to apply for a licence to manufacture, and report names & addresses of customers, they really are just wishing (but they already know this).

The whole bloody issue is just designed to deter anybody from making the attempt. With backing (no I'm not canvassing), I could lift Cairns out of its current tourism slump in short order, and provide an ongoing jobs & industry platform. But then Bundy Rum may get pissed & withdraw their support for the trough-wallowers in power.

Slainte!
regards Harry
Harry

Equipment type: 25 Lt 1500W elec. boiler, 2" x 40" packed column VM, x-flow O/head HX, crimp-path Liebig HX, VM proportioning valve, all in copper.

Postby mikejwoodnz » Sun Nov 13, 2011 7:09 pm

Harry wrote:Thanks for the 'heads-up' Mike.. . . . With backing (no I'm not canvassing), I could lift Cairns out of its current tourism slump in short order, and provide an ongoing jobs & industry platform. . . .
Slainte!
regards Harry

Perhaps you could make this an "idle moment" program. My experience has been it is always easier to attract "investors" rather than attempt to obtain finance - the added benefit also being that there is no interest to pay. Consider your contribution to be "founders shares" say 51% for your knowledge etc. and draw up a simple business plan - take this to your local sharebroker offer him 12% and take it from there :wink:
My Terminal Cancer is now : maybe a little remission :-)
mikejwoodnz

Equipment type: 75 litre SS "Milk Can" Pot Still, Onion Head, 1.5m Copper Liebig, SS Fermenters, AirStills . . .

Postby airhill » Sun Nov 13, 2011 7:47 pm

Its a federal act Harry and even if you had a 5l still you could not use it to produce alcohol.

And forget the tilapia breeding your fisheries dept would give you a harder time than the Feds would for making alcohol. :)
In the universe there are no absolutes; only degrees of uncertainty.
airhill

Equipment type: Baby CM
Badly designed LM
4' x 2" Bok
Soon tobe CM?

Postby Harry » Sun Nov 13, 2011 8:21 pm

airhill wrote:And forget the tilapia breeding your fisheries dept would give you a harder time than the Feds would for making alcohol. :)

I hear that. Tilapia in other countries is a table delicacy. In Oz it's a noxious pest. Destroy on sighting.

Tilapia is the most common fish to be used in Aquaponics systems overseas, although the use of Tilapia in Australia is prohibited due to their ability to overtake and dominate local waterways. Barramundi, Silver Perch, Trout, Golden Perch, Catfish, Murray Cod, Jade Perch, Australian Bass, Black Bream, Eels and Yabbies are suited to the climate in Australia, and are legal to own and grow in Aquaponics systems in Australia. For more information on the types of fish allowed to be used in Australia in Aquaponics systems, contact the Department of Agriculture, Fisheries and Forestry at http://www.affa.gov.au and the relevant state department of Fisheries. Click here to see list of links to state fisheries departments.

Slainte!
regards Harry
Harry

Postby airhill » Sun Nov 13, 2011 8:44 pm

There is possibly a devious way round the excise act providing you were only producing a limited amount of product.
Become a herbalist and apply for a theraputic goods act certificate. This allows you to purchase 60l of alcohol per year untaxed.
They may even let you make it yourself, untaxed as long as you comply with the paperwork.
Then start producing tinctures ie alcohol with herbs. Good ones may be aniseed ginger citrus orris root etc.
Then we'll all have a drink to Harry the pink :roflmao:
In the universe there are no absolutes; only degrees of uncertainty.
airhill

Equipment type: Baby CM
Badly designed LM
4' x 2" Bok
Soon tobe CM?

Postby Zymurgy Bob » Mon Nov 14, 2011 8:43 am

I've heard that a tincture of juniper, coriander, orris root, and some other stuff also has great medicinal properties. Goes good with an olive, too. :roll:
Zymurgy Bob, a simple potstiller http://www.kelleybarts.com/zymurgy-bob- ... e-spirits/

You can make whisky in a reflux still, you can make vodka in a potstill,
and you can eat chicken noodle soup with a crescent wrench. But...
Zymurgy Bob

Equipment type: 60L unpacked 20"x2", propane, with Liebig

Postby kiwi » Mon Nov 14, 2011 2:13 pm

Zymurgy Bob wrote:I've heard that a tincture of juniper, coriander, orris root, and some other stuff also has great medicinal properties. Goes good with an olive, too. :roll:

And extract of Jesuit's Bark, too. :beer: You don't want to get malaria, do you?
Specialization is for insects.
kiwi

Equipment type: Pot/VM combo (thanks Punkin)

Postby Duracell » Fri Nov 18, 2011 1:12 am

mikejwoodnz wrote:Yep good information. I took a look at your latest Australian Government report - they allow Home Distilling now with a excise manufacturer licence :

You must pay excise duty on any alcohol you produce. The current rate is in excess of $71 per litre of alcohol. For example, on a 700ml bottle of vodka at an alcoholic strength of 40% the excise duty would be approximately $20 per bottle."

I thought the yeast produced the alcohol? Didn't know you could tax a micro organism.
Duracell

Postby The Baker » Sun Nov 20, 2011 1:16 am

If you are a government you can tax almost anything.
The Baker

Equipment type: Pot still

Return to Video