• Advertisement

moonshiners on Discovery

Links to YouTube and other video sites are welcome. If you have videos you own recommend them also.

moonshiners on Discovery

Postby pintoshine » Wed Dec 07, 2011 1:31 am

I saw the last half since I am working out of town. Bullshit recipe cooked corn, sugar and water. Really?
Fleischman's yeast? That's cool. 800 gallon submarine. It looked like one from a documentary I saw 7 years ago. I think it is all staged. I've posted pictures of that equipment 4 years ago, from a documentary about moonshiners.'
Distill safe. Make good cuts. Enjoy yourself. Give as much as you take. Have fun doing this incredibly hard work. Be a good example. It's your hobby.
pintoshine

Equipment type: 58L 1.1 meter LM still.
110L Artisan Still Design Hybrid 4 plate with oil filled jacket.
20L copper pot

Re: moonshiners on Discovery

Postby Butch Coolidge » Wed Dec 07, 2011 2:38 am

I just watched the whole thing and I guess it's right on par with what I was expecting which isn't saying much.

The pot looks exactly like every other moonshine still that pops up on tv, just some wood slabs with a sheet of copper(?) wrapped around them.

I don't get the whole going out and scouting for a still site part. Cruising around in your pickup with "Farm Use" plates and a back window full of obnoxious bumper stickers, rooting around on property that belongs to who knows who looking for a site to drag all your wood barrels, cinder blocks, 100# propane tanks, sandbags, gas powered pump, cross-eyed pal named "Tickle"... How do you expect to not get caught?

That guy had a huge shop with race cars in it. If he was for real, he'd have half of that shop set up with all the submarine pots he wants, shut the doors down, do his business and never raise an eyebrow. Then again, he wouldn't have a camera crew following him around if he was for real.

I'm with Pint. I think it's pretty fake, too, or those guys are pretty dumb. One or the other.

Both?

Butch
"I'm American, Honey. Our names don't mean shit!"
Butch Coolidge

Equipment type: Several reflux columns, some hand-made, some custom-made. Half-barrel keg boilers. Fully automated carbon filtering system. Lots of miscellaneous gadgetry.

Postby Bushman » Wed Dec 07, 2011 10:06 am

I DVR'd it and when I went to watch it this morning it froze up, I guess that in itself is telling me something!
Bushman

Equipment type: I have a VM still with a 2" column and a keg for a boiler and a 4" CM still that runs on electric heat.

Postby Fishtech » Wed Dec 07, 2011 10:49 am

There was very little mentioned about the process at all- aside from the fact that you needed water to 'cool the still'.

I understand that Discovery probably wants to avoid giving any specific "how-tos" for legal reasons- I just wish there was a little more commitment to education- it's sad, but this will shape public opinion of distillers.
“May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds.”- Edward Abbey
Fishtech

Equipment type: 1 gallon stainless air-cooled test still

10 gallon stainless alembic still (electric)
20" shotgun condenser
6" Dephlegmator

30 gallon electric alembic still
30" shotgun condenser

Postby nwvapors » Wed Dec 07, 2011 6:19 pm

I am going to have to change my "look". I go running around shirtless in overalls all the time, I definitely won't be buying that floppy hat I have eyin' either. :roflmao: I better be careful the revenuers are going to be knocking on the door soon. Could they have made this thing any more hokey? Whatever, let em all think that's what it is, keeps the attention off the legitimate hobbyist. IMO
nwvapors

Equipment type: 2" stainless potstill, 4" modular pot/VM still. 15.5 gallon, electrically controlled (thanks MK) keg boiler.

Postby Rebel_Yell » Wed Dec 07, 2011 7:04 pm

I frikken loved it!

NOT!

Reminds me of the reasons that I will not give any kind of an interview to the media. It will always be changed so that they get the best ratings/readership. I do not believe much of what is reported in mainstream media these days.. They always have a slant on the story.

I find this show a disservice to our cause.
Your results may vary..
I would rather teach a pig to sing than argue with an Idiot.
Every sixty seconds you spend angry, upset or mad,
is a full minute of happiness you'll never get back.
Rebel_Yell

Postby rockchucker22 » Wed Dec 07, 2011 7:29 pm

Rebel_Yell wrote:I frikken loved it!

NOT!

Reminds me of the reasons that I will not give any kind of an interview to the media. It will always be changed so that they get the best ratings/readership. I do not believe much of what is reported in mainstream media these days.. They always have a slant on the story.

I find this show a disservice to our cause.

Took the words out of my mouth, a step backwards at best.
dancing on wire both ends are on fire
rockchucker22

Postby nwvapors » Wed Dec 07, 2011 7:53 pm

All they really needed was a bright orange muscle car and a bimbo in cut-off shorts and they'd have winner. :roflmao:
Seriously though it is a disappointing waste of time, I agree a step backward. I'm not sure I'd want a show about what
we do done. My neighbors look at me funny as it is. :)
nwvapors

Equipment type: 2" stainless potstill, 4" modular pot/VM still. 15.5 gallon, electrically controlled (thanks MK) keg boiler.

Postby Bayou-Ruler » Wed Dec 07, 2011 8:08 pm

The show is ..........SHIT.
Bayou Ethanol
Ethanol Fuel Producer
AFP-LA-15027
Bayou-Ruler

Equipment type: 3'' CM Reflux Column & Pot Still w/55 gallon boiler all in Stainless Steel

Postby grainhopper » Sun Dec 18, 2011 11:21 pm

I just watched an episode tonight, all during the show I was saying it looked staged.
When they had a hunter walk by no one pulled out a gun...lol
Then after they shut down and was at the house you could tell they were acting from script.

TOTAL BS
I like pot stills
grainhopper

Postby grainhopper » Mon Dec 19, 2011 4:13 pm

oh yeah.....did I see him say that he didnt have enough for his run and added sugar and corn to the pot in the middle of the run..to get more spirits out....lol
I like pot stills
grainhopper

Postby pintoshine » Mon Dec 19, 2011 10:39 pm

Last night I saw a rerun of the one with the sugar and corn additive. Ridiculous. By the way I have never seen such a nice set of manicured nails, nicely cut hair and pearly white straight teeth on someone supposed to be making a living moonshining. I can't ever remember there being any sort of dental plan being unemployed.
Distill safe. Make good cuts. Enjoy yourself. Give as much as you take. Have fun doing this incredibly hard work. Be a good example. It's your hobby.
pintoshine

Equipment type: 58L 1.1 meter LM still.
110L Artisan Still Design Hybrid 4 plate with oil filled jacket.
20L copper pot

Postby snakeater » Tue Dec 20, 2011 8:37 am

The swans neck bear hug-50lb sugar dump was edited back in from earlier video of him setting up to ferment directly in the still and then passed off as tension building drama . Not only does it not burn him , there isnt a trace of vapor escaping .

It was so full of contrivances it would take several viewings to catch them all and it aint that much fun .

Next episode , he has a couple dozen jugs left over so he has to build a hot rod to get rid of it ! Judging by the tense replies on their comments they should make a bundle on this , and Holder is gonna walk !

snakeater

Equipment type: Grandpa's 12 gallon copper pot and 5 gallon thumper

Postby grainhopper » Tue Dec 20, 2011 5:49 pm

I also noticed his proofing barrel had tin in it....they'd be better off hiding that 12 gallons in the hot rod's fuel tank and only if his run even proofed over 120.
I like pot stills
grainhopper

Postby msh » Thu Dec 22, 2011 11:26 pm

Hi all, been busy and not posted in a while. I find it fun to watch because I've been around that area, but I too think it's fake. It's hard to imagine someone would be stupid enough to be on television showing themselves breaking the law. Another charge would be shooting the rabbit from the truck. That's illegal in Virginia. The leaves were also green which means it would have likely not been rabbit season. Still my favorite piece of nonsense was adding the sugar during the run.
msh

Equipment type: 6 gallon pot still
5 gallon plastic bucket
large spoon with handle that's too short.

Next

Return to Video