• Advertisement

Mashed Potatoes with Enzymes

Links to YouTube and other video sites are welcome. If you have videos you own recommend them also.

Mashed Potatoes with Enzymes

Postby pintoshine » Tue Mar 06, 2012 10:40 pm

There is a lot of writing in the video description. here is a copy.

The audio didn't come out too well so I'll add to the explanation.
I have purchased some enzymes to help in mashing at some of the distilleries I work with. I am testing three way action. This is undergoing gelled starch converting to dextrin, dextrin being converted to glucose and glucose being converted to ethanol and carbon dioxide.
I wrapped the potatoes in aluminum foil and baked until soft. I and unwrapped them into the pan straight out of the oven. The citric acid was added to half a liter of water and blended into the potatoes. The alpha enzyme was added at around 180 degrees. The stirring continued down to 150 degrees. The stirring continued until the temperature was near 80 degrees. By this time the caked potatoes were thin enough to stir as if I had added a several liters of water, but I didn't. The yeast was added then. The fermentation is vigourous. stirring the cap back down into the potatoes comes right back up. After 24 hours, nearly half the solids have been converted to liquid. I hope you enjoyed this.
Distill safe. Make good cuts. Enjoy yourself. Give as much as you take. Have fun doing this incredibly hard work. Be a good example. It's your hobby.
pintoshine

Equipment type: 58L 1.1 meter LM still.
58L thumping spirit still
20L copper pot

Re: Mashed Potatoes with Enzymes

Postby ZeroGee » Wed Mar 07, 2012 1:06 pm

Pint -

I'm more than a little interested in your recent experiments with enzymes. Please put me on your list of contactees when you offer your enzymes for sale. BTW, the audio part of the video was very good for me.

The Pacific NW (British Columbia, Washington, Idaho) is a primary source of potatoes for the US and Canada with huge annual crops. I'm especially interested in experimenting with cooked potatoes for Ukrainian vodka (slightly sweet) as well as other non-traditional plant materials. You seem to be several steps ahead in that area.

Please keep us/me informed of your enzyme experiments as they progress.
ZeroGee

Equipment type: Stone & Nixon all copper 2" offset valve-head LM reflux column with a 58.7L SS electric boiler.

Postby hard times » Wed Mar 07, 2012 1:16 pm

Very well done video and easy to understand!
Might try this in the future.
I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good
as they're going to feel all day.

Good fortune takes preparation.
hard times

Postby likkerluvver » Wed Mar 07, 2012 2:34 pm

Pint, I'm following your work with enzymes with great interest.

I shall be ordering some as soon as they become available. Any thoughts as to when that might be?
LL
Having fun stillin' seriously..... This antique engine runs best on high octane.

likkerluvver

Equipment type: 3" pot, 4" bubbler

Postby pintoshine » Wed Mar 07, 2012 2:52 pm

I am hoping to get them on a site by this weekend.
Distill safe. Make good cuts. Enjoy yourself. Give as much as you take. Have fun doing this incredibly hard work. Be a good example. It's your hobby.
pintoshine

20L copper pot

Postby mikejwoodnz » Thu Mar 08, 2012 1:00 am

pintoshine wrote:I am hoping to get them on a site by this weekend.

These liquid enzymes look to be the Philosophers Stone for potatoes - to be sure Ireland will be granting you a Sainthood - bring on the Poitin :beer:
My Terminal Cancer is now : maybe a little remission :-)
mikejwoodnz

Equipment type: 75 litre SS "Milk Can" Pot Still, Onion Head, 1.5m Copper Liebig, SS Fermenters, AirStills . . .

Postby jake_leg » Thu Mar 08, 2012 1:46 am

I think the industrial process recommends both high temperature alpha amylase and glucoamylase.

I have found this pamphlet from Novozyme quite helpful.

http://www.mountainmoonshine.com/images/2001-10782.pdf
I remember Aaron Schnell
jake_leg

Postby ZeroGee » Wed Mar 14, 2012 1:25 pm

pintoshine wrote:I am hoping to get them on a site by this weekend.
How are you doing with this, Pint?

jake_leg wrote:I have found this pamphlet from Novozyme quite helpful.
http://www.mountainmoonshine.com/images/2001-10782.pdf
Thanks, JL! Mountain Moonshine proved to be quite informative in a number of areas. I'd enjoy being able to run a rig like his (legal distillery).
ZeroGee

Equipment type: Stone & Nixon all copper 2" offset valve-head LM reflux column with a 58.7L SS electric boiler.

Postby Brandava » Wed Mar 14, 2012 9:13 pm

Very interesting video! Similar results to my potato mashing experience (see viewtopic.php?f=31&t=4365 - yeah, sorry, I haven't gotten around to actually posting the photos) using malt.
How do the purified enzymes compare with using diastatic malt?
I'm a bit confused about the objectives of the experiment - is this about testing a potato mash, or about testing how well the enzymes work in a domestic setting? I'd be very interested in seeing how well they perform on a grain based mash. I'm also unclear about the 'three-way' part - in the video you say you added yeast, but from the write-up it appears that you will be converting the sugar to ethanol with enzymes.
Thanks for experimenting and posting!
Brandava

Postby pintoshine » Wed Mar 14, 2012 9:50 pm

Not converting sugar to ethanol. The alpha-amylase converts geletinized starch to liquid dextrin, and then the glucoamylase converts the liquid dextrin to glucose and the yeast converts the glucose to alcohol and carbon dioxide.
It is fermented and must be about 14% ethanol. It still has a slight bubble now and then. It is well preserved. It has been fermenting openly with no mold or other contamination.
As soon as I get my jacketed still built I will be running it.
pintoshine

20L copper pot

Postby vb » Thu Mar 15, 2012 9:27 am

are you going to make any attempt at separating the solids out?
Give strong drink to him who is perishing,
And wine to those who are bitter of heart.
Let him drink and forget his poverty,
And remember his misery no more.
vb

Equipment type: yes, and lots of it

Postby pintoshine » Thu Mar 15, 2012 12:22 pm

no. Just gonna run it.
pintoshine

20L copper pot

Postby Al Qaemist » Fri Mar 16, 2012 2:58 pm

Glad I didn't get too excited by this thread, and the troosers didn't find me unloading a shiney new paint mixer and 66# of tatties into the garage yesterday......sure glad that didn't happen :?
devoted to the study of using your brain to squeeze the most out of the one and only life you will ever get, even if you have to wash it regularly in lukewarm Scotch.
Al Qaemist

Equipment type: SPP packed VM/LM combo, stumpy VM, stripper, 3Kw 11imp Gal Keg.
30L 1800w Gin still.
PWM controller, StillDragon Bubble Ball
Spotty cape and crash helmet.

Postby pintoshine » Fri Mar 16, 2012 3:08 pm

You will have to let us know how it works out. I would use just a little more water for my next batch.
pintoshine

20L copper pot

Postby Al Qaemist » Fri Mar 16, 2012 3:32 pm

I wish I had read the original post better - the tatties were an impulse buy when in the bulk store - hadn't gone out with that intention - turns out I only have alpha and gluco - not the magical liquefying beta (I had missed that bit in the video). The paint stirrer will serve me well in any case, and the tatties were cheap as chips....mmmm chips :idea:
devoted to the study of using your brain to squeeze the most out of the one and only life you will ever get, even if you have to wash it regularly in lukewarm Scotch.
Al Qaemist

Equipment type: SPP packed VM/LM combo, stumpy VM, stripper, 3Kw 11imp Gal Keg.
30L 1800w Gin still.
PWM controller, StillDragon Bubble Ball
Spotty cape and crash helmet.

Next

Return to Video