• Advertisement

Mashed Potatoes with Enzymes

Links to YouTube and other video sites are welcome. If you have videos you own recommend them also.

Re: Mashed Potatoes with Enzymes

Postby pintoshine » Fri Mar 16, 2012 3:37 pm

I mis stated that I used beta. I have glucoamylase. It breaks 1-4 and 1-6 bonds and make glucose.
Distill safe. Make good cuts. Enjoy yourself. Give as much as you take. Have fun doing this incredibly hard work. Be a good example. It's your hobby.
pintoshine

Equipment type: 58L 1.1 meter LM still.
110L Artisan Still Design Hybrid 4 plate with oil filled jacket.
20L copper pot

Postby Al Qaemist » Fri Mar 16, 2012 4:09 pm

Great! Thanks for the update pint, I will let you know how I get on.

I was reading a thread over on HD about someone who wanted to make an all potato mash, and he was shot down as the returns were too low - the flavour too strong, and all sorts of other negativity.
I'm actually looking for a stronger flavour - as the voddy drinkers find my neutral, well.... too neutral - a bit of late heads makes it more familiar to them, and I'd been considering running a grain mash on the pot and blending a tiny bit of it in to add a grain profile as a bit of a cheat, but this sparked my interest.
devoted to the study of using your brain to squeeze the most out of the one and only life you will ever get, even if you have to wash it regularly in lukewarm Scotch.
Al Qaemist

Equipment type: SPP packed VM/LM combo, 64mm Proportional Splitter, stripper, 3Kw 11imp Gal Keg.
30L 1800w Gin still.
PWM controller, bubble ball
Spotty cape and crash helmet.

Postby vb » Sat Mar 17, 2012 11:28 am

don't try a potato sugar wash. just don't.
See You Next Tuesday.
vb

Equipment type: yes, and lots of it

Postby Al Qaemist » Tue Mar 20, 2012 2:48 am

Well it's all bubbling away nicely. Man it takes a lot of potatoes to fill a bucket, I used nearly 25kg and it only 3/4 filled a 33ltr bin.
I was a bit worried, as I needed to do several batches in the oven to bake them all and the temp of the mash was a bit on the low side when I mixed in the Alpha. Looks to have all come good though.

If this goes well, I'll really need to think out the process a bit better.

Al.
devoted to the study of using your brain to squeeze the most out of the one and only life you will ever get, even if you have to wash it regularly in lukewarm Scotch.
Al Qaemist

Equipment type: SPP packed VM/LM combo, 64mm Proportional Splitter, stripper, 3Kw 11imp Gal Keg.
30L 1800w Gin still.

Postby astronomical » Thu Mar 22, 2012 2:27 am

vb wrote:don't try a potato sugar wash. just don't.

Why? I made one from sweet potatoes and it was excellent.
Stillin: The only time when I'm not chasin' tails
astronomical

Equipment type: Present projects:
recirculating cooling resevoir, double boiler, BIAB keggle, 7 plate 4",keezer Stills:
60" LM/VM, 24" herbal still, 30" potstill
Boilers:
15.5g keg, 7g kettle (thumper)

Postby Al Qaemist » Thu Mar 22, 2012 2:35 am

Don't worry about it astronomical, it was in reference to my post about negative comments on another site. How did the sweet tatties do? Some folks were wondering if they give a spirit with a hint of a tequila about it?
Al Qaemist

30L 1800w Gin still.

Postby vb » Fri Mar 23, 2012 2:10 pm

no I did a wash of boiled potatoes and sugar a while back and it turned to a snot like substance while fermenting.
have heard since of others having similar experiences.
onset was too quick to be an infection, it happened as soon as the wash cooled down to room temperature.

I would guess sweet potatoes are all together different.
See You Next Tuesday.
vb

Equipment type: yes, and lots of it

beer mashing with Enzymes?

Postby Rednose » Wed Mar 28, 2012 1:26 pm

Hi Pinto
A little off topic cause of the potato thingy but:

Did you try to use unmalted barley to mash with enzymes?

I bought some alphas to try it out when they arrive.

I am sometimes short of barley malt but have access to whatever amount of barley.

My idea is to toast the barley at wanted grade (color and flavor), crush and mash as always for beer making. The industrial enzymes mostly work fine also in higher temps like 90C.

I have no idea how this will change the beer flavor but know that the industry (especially the vodka folks don’t use mostly any malts) use this method to bring down production cost to 20 – 30% less than using malt.
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up. ~Robert Frost
Rednose

Equipment type: ................. No flutes, only stills.

From 4 to 10 inch column diameter and 50 to 300 Ltr boiler gas/steam heated.

In avatar 10 inch bubbler and 6 inch rectificator (95%VOL)

Commercial licenced distillery

Postby Al Qaemist » Fri Apr 06, 2012 2:30 am

Well its been sitting there for a couple of weeks without me getting a chance to run it -its a thick old mash so worried about scorching. I think I'll run it in my small open top externally heated boiler, rather than the keg with the internal element for that reason.

Or.....

I have a 12 litre stainless bucket that I use for blending, If I removed the handle it fits into the small boiler - could do a boiler in a boiler sort of thing maybe with some SS nuts to keep it off the bottom. Might mean doing 2 runs though - but that's okay.

Anyone got any thoughts of how to go, haven't really ran anything that was this thick before - had enough issues with scorched grain to make me think about the problem .

Al Q
Al Qaemist

30L 1800w Gin still.

Postby jake_leg » Fri Apr 06, 2012 3:39 am

The bucket in the boiler idea sounds good. Myles suggested something similar for a sort of internal thumper. I think it would be good to put some water in the boiler as well as wash in the bucket, like an internal water bath.

A slightly more out-there possibility, but which could never run dry, would be washed sand in the boiler as an internal sand bath. Maybe.
I remember Aaron Schnell
jake_leg

Postby ZeroGee » Fri Apr 06, 2012 8:41 am

Pint -

Any further news concerning the availability of the enzyme? How did the potato distillation turn out?

It seems as if an AG wash would be very much simpler, especially with scarecrow's floating sieve, to say nothing of other potential starch-based fermentation.

ZeroGee

Equipment type: Stone & Nixon all copper 2" offset valve-head LM reflux column with a 60L SS electric boiler.

Postby Al Qaemist » Fri Apr 06, 2012 10:56 am

jake_leg wrote:Myles suggested something similar for a sort of internal thumper. I think it would be good to put some water in the boiler as well as wash in the bucket, like an internal water bath.

Yes, that's the thread that made me consider it as an option - would need water in the boiler, as its got a thermal cut out to stop it running dry - this also causes issue when grain or rice sticks to the bottom - it heats up and the thermal fuse cuts the power - I think I would have similar issue with thick mash.
Al Qaemist

30L 1800w Gin still.

Postby ZeroGee » Fri Apr 06, 2012 12:53 pm

Al Qaemist wrote:Well its been sitting there for a couple of weeks without me getting a chance to run it -its a thick old mash so worried about scorching.
I've not done this, so bear with me. How about adding some water to the mash to thin it down and perhaps a settling agent like chitosan to clump the smaller bits together and settle to the bottom of the fermenter. Then take a floating sieve like scarecrow suggested and pump or siphon the remaining liquid.

Don't know if it would work, but it's an idea...
ZeroGee

Equipment type: Stone & Nixon all copper 2" offset valve-head LM reflux column with a 60L SS electric boiler.

Postby Al Qaemist » Sun Jun 10, 2012 2:38 pm

Well I was sick of that mash sitting there for months in the shed, so today I stripped it and ran it through the column. First impression are that it makes a really nice vodka - there is a slight flavour to it that I can't place - hint of banana perhaps - maybe from sitting so long in the shed, but distinctly different from a sugar wash neutral.

I didn't have any issues with scorching, and the left over stillage in the boiler did not smell nasty like my usual sugar wash. The processing of the potatoes would cause me an issue to do this in any real volume - but it'll be nice to have a couple of bottles worth of this drink to put in the freezer for the odd sip.
Al Qaemist

30L 1800w Gin still.

Previous

Return to Video