• Advertisement

Distillation Controller with PIC processor

Links to YouTube and other video sites are welcome. If you have videos you own recommend them also.

Distillation Controller with PIC processor

Postby Tytonegro » Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:15 pm

Hello collegues,

I posted this also under 'electric controls'

You can have a look at my video on my blog (see below) or at YouTube

Since some time I'm working on a Microchip PIC controlled distillation controller.

I have published an extensive post on my personal blog about my experiments.

After my first experiments with an electronically controlled distillation process I found that controlling the temperature of the alcohol vapour is cumbersome and probably not very reliable for use with a pot still in domestic environment. By watching and monitoring the distillation process I learned a lot. I found that the distillate output is directly coupled to the power input. Very logic of course if you start thinking of it. Therefore I took a new approach to the process. I changed the whole program and started from scratch. This time with the heat of evaporation of alcohol and water as the basic starting point.
In the video on my blog you can see the results. I’m very pleased with the results so far. There still are a lot of small enhancements to be made and I’m planning to have other operating modes in the controller to make it into an universal temperature controller with an edge.

In the video I demonstrate my home mode distillation controller. The controller uses a Microchip PIC processor and controls an electric hotplate for heating my 10 litre pot-still.
The controller controls the power during the whole distillation process. The user can set the desired output (distillate) rate and other parameters to tune the process easily.

More info on my blog:

http://steppewolf.cato-projects.org/?x= ... 327-211130

Enjoy, let me know what you think and suggestions for improvements are always welcomed!

Thanks, cheers,

Tomas aka Merlin

Equipment type: 10 ltr Portuguese traditional pot still (Alembic) on electric plate. A distillation controller is work in progress

Return to Video