• Advertisement

Scotch Whisky, a documentary

Links to YouTube and other video sites are welcome. If you have videos you own recommend them also.

Scotch Whisky, a documentary

Postby Swede » Fri Mar 29, 2013 12:32 am

A full length documentary on Scotch that's well worth an hour and a half with a fine tipple in hand...

Swede

Equipment type: 9000w 30gal electric double boiler with jacket generated direct steam injection/PWM controller with PID temp control for automated shutdown, column temp monitoring, and mash-in-pot, 4" Stainless 4 Tray bubble cap/wier type downcomer column

Re: Scotch Whisky, a documentary

Postby zedzedtop » Fri Mar 29, 2013 4:34 pm

Good watch, even if inaccurate at times. Couldn't help but having a few drams of Benriach 12 on the way....
'Bubble cap plates are better for batch distillation than perforated plates' - Benjamin Franklin

Fortune cookie: Your whole family are well
zedzedtop

Equipment type: 25G pot, gas or 4500w
pot head or 4'' 3plate bubbler, cm

Postby mikejwoodnz » Fri Mar 29, 2013 9:59 pm

Swede wrote:A full length documentary on Scotch that's well worth an hour and a half with a fine tipple in hand...

Great find thank you for posting - loved the careful explanation of how blended scotch is high class grain neutral blended with higher class "single" cask aged malt. This is the exact technique that I (amongst others like Harry) advocate for the home distiller - craft your high ABV pot distilled and cask aged malted barley whisky and blend it with your best grain neutral to create faux Brand Scotch Whisky. This is not to be confused with American Bourbon style corn whiskey or Canadian style rye whiskey. And yes liquid barley malt (LME) is acceptable, in MHO, for a home distiller's wash for those more interested in good results than pedantic technique. :beer:
My Terminal Cancer is now : maybe a little remission :-)
mikejwoodnz

Equipment type: 75 litre SS "Milk Can" Pot Still, Onion Head, 1.5m Copper Liebig, SS Fermenters, AirStills . . .

Postby pintoshine » Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:10 pm

I paired my phone with my xbox hooked to my hdmi 1080p tv. When I get time I'll be watching it on that combo.
Distill safe. Make good cuts. Enjoy yourself. Give as much as you take. Have fun doing this incredibly hard work. Be a good example. It's your hobby.
pintoshine

Equipment type: 58L 1.1 meter LM still.
110L Artisan Still Design Hybrid 4 plate with oil filled jacket.
20L copper pot

Postby mikejwoodnz » Sat Mar 30, 2013 2:57 am

pintoshine wrote:I paired my phone with my xbox hooked to my hdmi 1080p tv. When I get time I'll be watching it on that combo.

I wonder if I could understand that if I was sober ? :doh:

ps : I'm sippin my version of Johnny Walker Blue Label and and playing Texas Hold'em on Pokers Stars - Ill read it again the morning
My Terminal Cancer is now : maybe a little remission :-)
mikejwoodnz

Equipment type: 75 litre SS "Milk Can" Pot Still, Onion Head, 1.5m Copper Liebig, SS Fermenters, AirStills . . .

Postby Lesterjack » Sat Mar 30, 2013 12:03 pm

Thanks, a very good video, need to add this to the bucket list, places to see :8)
Lesterjack

Equipment type: 15 gallon reflux

Return to Video