• Advertisement

Audio Books

Read a good book? Any topic is a good one. If it is about moonshine of other spirits, beer, or wine then that is a bonus.

Audio Books

Postby vb » Mon Jan 11, 2010 5:59 pm

I love to read, but often have little time to do so.
so I figured that in order to get some stilling done Audio books would be worth a try.

so i was able to get a 16+ hour audio book finished while running some rum (not all silling time, but helped pass the time while stilling)
Been getting into Steampunk Recently so I listened To "The Diamond Age" was entertaining if not just slightly bizzarre
looking at "Perdido Street Station" next, but we'll have to see how that turns out.
See You Next Tuesday.
vb

Equipment type: yes, and lots of it

Re: Audio Books

Postby bstinga » Mon Jan 11, 2010 6:06 pm

Always wanted to do a steampunk still. Would be a fitting project I think.
bstinga

Postby Mud » Mon Jan 11, 2010 6:18 pm

I read ridiculously fast. Even retain some of it. :roll: Probably comes from being a couch potato. Audio books are a nice way to slow down a bit and enjoy the story.
Specialization is for Kiwi.
Artisan Distilling Book
Mud

Equipment type: Keg based pot - sometimes propane powered but mostly electric

Postby vb » Mon Jan 11, 2010 9:26 pm

steampunk still is what I wanted to do as well.
all the copper lends itself well to that, as well reinforce the seams with brass just to bring it out a little more.

I've also had in mind to build a deisel electric hybrid steampunk tank. same basic dimensions as a compact car, just for driving to church on Sundays.

for technical reading I can read quite quickly and retain most. but for pleasure reading I could read fast, but prefer a slower pace so I can absorb it completley as well as ponder many of the themes.
See You Next Tuesday.
vb

Equipment type: yes, and lots of it

Postby flasko » Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:31 am

I really like audio books. I read a lot for work and also drive a lot, so the audio book is a nice change and makes the drive go faster. Some of the better ones I've heard:

Lord of the Rings Trilogy
Enders Game
No Country for Old Men (really good)
Golden Compass trilogy
Neuromancer

Currently listening to Heinlein's Starship Troopers and that is pretty good so far too.

As you can tell I like sci-fi/fantasy.
The trouble with jogging is that the ice falls out of your glass - Martin Mull
flasko

Equipment type: 15.5 gal electric keg
5.5 gal thumper
5500w internal element
Arduino controller

Postby punkin » Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:23 pm

I have Neuromancer on my book shelf. Never thought of audio books...

Identified Shit Stirrer, upgraded to sociopath.

To the fashionable nationalists

http://www.stilldragon.com.au for all your distilling needs in Australia and New Zealand
punkin

Postby eternalfrost » Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:29 pm

"The sky above the port was the color of television, tuned to a dead channel"

one of my favorite books, kinda sad that its becoming dated these days. the whole ideas of massively parallel, constantly connected information networks and intelligent machines is a direct part of practically everyones life now...

do tvs even have static channels anymore? :shock:

tried the audio books but find if im doing anything else at the time i loose big chunks of the story...
and if im going to sit down and 100% devote myself to listening i might as well just read
eternalfrost

Postby Mud » Tue Jan 12, 2010 2:00 pm

I just saw The Difference Engine at the library a couple weeks ago. Now you're making it sound interesting.
Specialization is for Kiwi.
Artisan Distilling Book
Mud

Equipment type: Keg based pot - sometimes propane powered but mostly electric

Postby stillton » Sat Oct 16, 2010 5:12 pm

Im very happy to be able to listen on audiobooks at work. i usually listen at least 5 hours a day, and that means i get trough 1-2 books a week. I recently listned to "Brewmaster’s art : the history and science of beermaking". Its a lecture on beermaking filled with hard facts and history about beer in general,with Professor Charles W. Bamforth.
I usually dont listen to lectures and such, as it normally requires a higher level of attention, but this one was quite enjoyable to listen to and will give you a lot of interesting information even if your not interested in making beer yourself.

haven't found a source to buy it from, but its available on piratebay. http://thepiratebay.org/torrent/5493653 ... Beermaking
stillton

Equipment type: VM-E-ARC with Thors hammer

Postby Disobedierudite » Sat Oct 16, 2010 6:08 pm

Just finished the 45th disc of Ayn Rand's "Atlas Shrugged"... It made me an Anarchist. But not an Atheist.
I'll keep my freedom, thanks.
Disobedierudite

Return to Books