• Advertisement

Chasing the white dog

Read a good book? Any topic is a good one. If it is about moonshine of other spirits, beer, or wine then that is a bonus.

Chasing the white dog

Postby goinbroke2 » Mon Jul 05, 2010 3:33 pm

Well I thought I saw this on here somewhere and thought I'd add my comments.
Since I don't see it I'll add it to the books people should read.
Just got the book and read it in 2 days. (I read fast though)
It is, just what it says. A guy decides to try distilling at home, then chases around the country trying to find the difference in truth and stories with regards to "whitedog". The first chapter is on Popcorn. Not really flattering but honest. The following chapters are very entertaining and mention a lot of big names in the micro world. The chapter on Junior Johnson/stockcars/hotrods/likker...holy crap I thought the story was about where I grew up! LOL!
Really good book and I don't want to tell the ending or anything.

I really enjoyed it, it was an eye opener as to the practises of "real" moonshiners, not home distillers. Yes these moonshiners have plastic in the output of the still, hell they are bottling in plastic milk jugs! Nothing I would ever do or condone, but then again I don't believe or condone selling anyway.

A lot of really good anecdotal stories.

And yes it just came out within the last year, he mentions that popcorn passes away.
goinbroke2

Equipment type: 58L keg, 25' of copper coil, 72,000btu burner, 205L fermenting barrel

Re: Chasing the white dog

Postby zedzedtop » Sat Jul 10, 2010 4:20 pm

I read it and liked it.
'Bubble cap plates are better for batch distillation than perforated plates' - Benjamin Franklin

Fortune cookie: Your whole family are well
zedzedtop

Equipment type: 25G pot, gas or 4500w
pot head or 4'' 3plate bubbler, cm

Return to Books