• Advertisement

Every Home a Distillery (Early America: History, Context, Cu

Read a good book? Any topic is a good one. If it is about moonshine of other spirits, beer, or wine then that is a bonus.

Every Home a Distillery (Early America: History, Context, Cu

Postby adama » Sat Aug 27, 2011 9:15 pm

Hi all

I haven't read it and the link below has nothing to do with me . . . but I thought the book would be interesting to some . . you can find out more about the .pdf by going to the link below.

Every Home a Distillery: Alcohol, Gender, and Technology in the Colonial Chesapeake (Early America: History, Context, Culture)
By Meacham, Sarah H.
Publisher: The Johns Hopkins University Press 2009 | 208 Pages | ISBN: 0801893127 | PDF | 2 MB
In this original examination of alcohol production in early America, Sarah Hand Meacham uncovers the crucial role women played in cidering and distilling in the colonial Chesapeake. Her fascinating story is one defined by gender, class, technology, and changing patterns of production.
Advice and recipes in such guidebooks as The Accomplisht Ladys Delight demonstrate that women were the main producers of alcohol until the middle of the 18th century. Men, mostly small planters, then supplanted women, using new and cheaper technologies to make the region's cider, ale, and whiskey.

Taking a few pages from contemporary guidebooks, Every Home a Distillery includes samples of historic recipes and instructions on how to make alcoholic beverages. American historians will find this study both enlightening and surprising.
cover.jpeg
cover.jpeg (50.37 KiB) Viewed 2240 times

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
http://avaxhome.ws/ebooks/history_military/0801893127-1287071670.html
adama

Return to Books