• Advertisement

RIKU--AUTOMATIC STILLS

Read a good book? Any topic is a good one. If it is about moonshine of other spirits, beer, or wine then that is a bonus.

RIKU--AUTOMATIC STILLS

Postby slowpokedom » Sun Oct 02, 2011 4:58 pm

IN MY OPINION ONLY AN ACCOUNT OF HIS BUILD BUT A MISLEADING TITLE NOT RECOMENDED.
"Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars."
Maintain an utter lack of cynicism. The world owes us nothing
slowpokedom

Equipment type: commercially made stills-- pot and cm reflux

Re: RIKU--AUTOMATIC STILLS

Postby kiwi » Sun Oct 02, 2011 5:01 pm

Really? I thought it was great. Also, typing in all caps is normally considered to be the internet equivilant of shouting.
Specialization is for insects.
kiwi

Equipment type: Pot/VM combo (thanks Punkin)

Postby minime » Sun Oct 02, 2011 6:56 pm

Riku's style of writing is meandering. Nothing is concrete but all of his systems do work as he says. Automation is not for me as I think it also invites complacency but there's lots of guys out there running his designs that love them.
I'm a big believer in hands on distilling. I've seen too many things go wrong when you least expect it. My last run for example............. I was expecting 3.5 gallons of 95 so when I put the fourth jug into position I started mowing the lawn. Overflowed the jug by who knows how much? I still can't see how I miscalculated by 2 liters. It's outside and just spilled into open water but it might have been a disaster in other circumstances.
Vigilance is paramount IMHO. No automating for me but I do own the book.
Never save the best for last!
minime

Equipment type: VM enthusiast.

Postby The Baker » Mon Oct 03, 2011 12:07 am

I don't do it myself but when the still is running I am usually sitting next to it reading a book.

But lots of people sit the jug in a big container of some sort in case either the jar breaks, or it overflows.
The Baker

Equipment type: Pot still

Postby slowpokedom » Mon Oct 03, 2011 5:22 am

kiwi wrote:Really? I thought it was great. Also, typing in all caps is normally considered to be the internet equivilant of shouting.

SORRY FOR THE CAPS--IT HAPPENS OFTEN like now-- one hand is defective and often misses in that area.

I was looking for something more general with rikus book. im looking into PID AND PLC controlls now. I hope i cand learn some of that info.
"Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars."
slowpokedom

Postby minime » Mon Oct 03, 2011 12:46 pm

The Baker wrote:I don't do it myself but when the still is running I am usually sitting next to it reading a book.

But lots of people sit the jug in a big container of some sort in case either the jar breaks, or it overflows.

Yup, I've done that myself. Got lax this summer cause I'm outside. I often collect into a large metal container for neutral. It's all 95+ anyway.

Doesn't matter how many precautions you take.............something can always go wrong. Even Popcorn Sutton said that :lol:
minime

Postby Rednose » Tue Oct 04, 2011 8:04 pm

Most automatization you can have with PID temperature controllers, that is what I'm working right now.

If you want to make the next step you can try this: http://www.pc-control.co.uk/osc/product ... ucts_id=38

Or start with an Ardunio setup.

I'm actually playing with a Wifi enabled board whose terminal I can take around (a 10 inch Android) and have controll of my still temps as it's web based.

I hate that they don't use K-type sensors as I have to plumb new connections when all works. :|

Most you can archive with temperature processing, like pressure in the boiler as it is related to the temp.

You can use a solenoid valve for cuts, a relais for managing your pump(s) etc.

It's fun and a great challange.

Pinto is very professional in this. :wink:
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up. ~Robert Frost
Rednose

Equipment type: ................. No flutes, only stills.

From 4 to 10 inch column diameter and 50 to 300 Ltr boiler gas/steam heated.

In avatar 10 inch bubbler and 6 inch rectificator (95%VOL)

Commercial licenced distillery

Postby slowpokedom » Wed Oct 05, 2011 6:39 am

IM THINKING OF AND RESEARCHING A MANIFOLD WITH SOLENOID oops caps---valves--see i really have no control over my typing. i'm a retired grocer. :shock:
slowpokedom

Postby stillton » Sat Oct 22, 2011 9:22 am

minime wrote:Riku's style of writing is meandering. Nothing is concrete but all of his systems do work as he says. Automation is not for me as I think it also invites complacency but there's lots of guys out there running his designs that love them.
I'm a big believer in hands on distilling. I've seen too many things go wrong when you least expect it. My last run for example............. I was expecting 3.5 gallons of 95 so when I put the fourth jug into position I started mowing the lawn. Overflowed the jug by who knows how much? I still can't see how I miscalculated by 2 liters. It's outside and just spilled into open water but it might have been a disaster in other circumstances.
Vigilance is paramount IMHO. No automating for me but I do own the book.

but automation would have saved you in that case, not made it worse.
to me, thats like saying we shouldn't have airbags in our cars, because it makes us sloppy drivers.

slowpokedom: why are you reading a book about distillation, if you want to learn how to configure PIDs and PLCs?
rikus designs doesn't require PID or complex PLC-programing. it uses simple on/off thermostats, that is part of why they are so clever.

also consider this. ARC requires 0.1C tolerance to work properly. if you introduce PID that would mean you would need 0.01C to even have 10 fractions to work with, and that is still pretty low to make use of PID. to make such an accurate reading in a column full of turbulent vapor and liquid is not something i would like to try.
stillton

Equipment type: VM-E-ARC with Thors hammer

Postby slowpokedom » Sat Oct 22, 2011 11:22 am

Stillton.
I was mislead by riku's title. I thought he he was going to teach me a method of designing automatic stills instead of showing us how he made his own rig.
i am in nprocess of recouping from a hip replacement now and dont have much ability to get around or the ambition either; but i do have a pid control on my bench for almost 2 years. i never got to it. at present it is hooked up to a 110 volt coffe cup heating device and a s.s.relay. i never finished the experiment before i went for surgury.

plc with electric valving is a new word to me and seems the way to go unless cost is prohibitive. This is as far as i have gotten to date.
I havent sent for any plc instructions yet.
:D
slowpokedom

Postby stillton » Sat Oct 22, 2011 12:33 pm

slowpokedom wrote:Stillton.
I was mislead by riku's title. I thought he he was going to teach me a method of designing automatic stills instead of showing us how he made his own rig.
i am in nprocess of recouping from a hip replacement now and dont have much ability to get around or the ambition either; but i do have a pid control on my bench for almost 2 years. i never got to it. at present it is hooked up to a 110 volt coffe cup heating device and a s.s.relay. i never finished the experiment before i went for surgury.

plc with electric valving is a new word to me and seems the way to go unless cost is prohibitive. This is as far as i have gotten to date.
I havent sent for any plc instructions yet.
:D

the book shows you various ways to automate a still with templates on (proved working designs) how it can be done. i dont really understand what sort of guidelines you expected?
stillton

Equipment type: VM-E-ARC with Thors hammer

Postby minime » Sat Oct 22, 2011 5:21 pm

stillton wrote:
minime wrote:to me, thats like saying we shouldn't have airbags in our cars, because it makes us sloppy drivers.

Airbags in cars tempt people like me to forgo the seat belt sometimes. I'm guilty of that because there's a false sense of security.

Everyone has to be aware of their personality and proceed on that basis. I know I'd be tempted to leave things unattended...............
minime

Postby manu de hanoi » Sun Oct 23, 2011 9:31 am

coming from amphora I was expecting a comprehensive approach to the title with a clear view of both theory and practice.A more accurate topic of the book would be "Complete Distiller appendix N : Extra designs including some automation features"
manu de hanoi

Equipment type: http://www.stainlessstuff.net

Postby slowpokedom » Sun Oct 23, 2011 1:42 pm

manu de hanoi wrote:coming from amphora I was expecting a comprehensive approach to the title with a clear view of both theory and practice.A more accurate topic of the book would be "Complete Distiller appendix N : Extra designs including some automation features"

DITTO :mg:
slowpokedom

Postby niller » Sat Nov 05, 2011 5:03 pm

I just want to put in a note: the still design is VERY good.
niller

Equipment type: 50 Litre boiler, 2" VM, currently tweaking the operator

Next

Return to Books