• Advertisement

O.k Pint'o What Are You Reading

Read a good book? Any topic is a good one. If it is about moonshine of other spirits, beer, or wine then that is a bonus.

O.k Pint'o What Are You Reading

Postby msrorysdad » Sat Mar 10, 2007 11:01 am

Foxfire, it is the best all around series of books I've seen, plenty of tales, and distillin to boot
msrorysdad

Postby bushido » Sun Apr 29, 2007 10:40 pm

Nothing to do with distilling, but I like Louis L'Amour novels for escape reading. I'm an outdoorsey (hows that for a word eh?) type of person, so I guess I can relate to his type of stories.
bushido

Postby mtnwalker » Tue May 01, 2007 5:47 pm

bushido wrote:Nothing to do with distilling, but I like Louis L'Amour novels for escape reading. I'm an outdoorsey (hows that for a word eh?) type of person, so I guess I can relate to his type of stories.

Secended strongly, I've read and reread many times all he ever wrote. The foxfire books, and Carla Emery, and now Joseph Earl Dabney bring out the independent old timer in me.
3" X 54" SS reflux column with copper, a pot column, and a quarter and a half keg pots, propane fired.
mtnwalker

Postby msrorysdad » Tue May 01, 2007 5:55 pm

how about Papillion, or Dry Guillotine, both about Devils Island, both awesome. I love Dogs of War. Shogun? or come on now, Lonesome Dove
msrorysdad

Postby mtnwalker » Tue May 01, 2007 6:21 pm

msrorysdad wrote:how about Papillion, or Dry Guillotine, both about Devils Island, both awesome. I love Dogs of War. Shogun? or come on now, Lonesome Dove

Read the last 3 and will find the first 2. Thanks. Do you hang your bird by the neck till it falls, and so aged?

Also, James Mischner, sp. History that you can relive.
3" X 54" SS reflux column with copper, a pot column, and a quarter and a half keg pots, propane fired.
mtnwalker

Postby bushido » Thu May 10, 2007 11:17 pm

If you liked shogun, you would enjoy a 3 book series called Musashi. It is well written by a japanese history professor (Eiji Yoshikawa) about the life and times of their greatest swordsman, Miyamoto Musashi. Well balanced story, worth the read.
bushido

Postby mtnwalker » Fri May 11, 2007 7:30 pm

History and adventure, well written novels by Wilber Smith. Outlawed for years as they came from S. Africa, they are really excellent. Somewhat a cross of James Michner, and Louis Lamoure.
mtnwalker

Postby msrorysdad » Fri May 11, 2007 9:22 pm

thanks bushido, I'll look for it. I like my bird refrigerated, the wizz on his back, I coulda done without. I had the video (a billion hours). We used to fire up the smoker on Friday night, cook lots of chickens, and beef, enough to just keep it hot, and pull 'em as you will. Drink, smoke and watch either Shogun, or Lonesome Dove, Sometimes both. How about James Finemore Cooper, Pathfinder? I gotta get more of his stuff. Dry Guitien is tough to find, if ya can't find a copy I'll try to get ya one, probably the best read ever, just my thoughts
msrorysdad

Postby bushido » Sun May 13, 2007 10:00 pm

I read Lee Iococa's auto biography this winter, and enjoyed it. He had an interesting life, and it reveals alot of the bureaucracy involved in the auto industry and unions. It is definatly not action packed (lol), but I had no problem reading it from cover to cover.
msrorysdad, have you read all 4 of Clavell's asain series. Shogun was actually the second in the series. King Rat was the first. 3rd and 4th was noble house and Gai-jin, though I forget their order now. Been a long time since I have read those. Not sure I have ever watched the whole shogun movie. I find a good story teller makes his story more vivid than someone else trying to interpret it into film. Still to this day I will read rather than watch a show. I try to instill this in the youngin's, but the older one does not take to the books. Each to their own I guess :(
bushido

Postby Harry » Mon May 14, 2007 5:08 am

To Bushido...Yeah, King Rat. Fantastic book which I read several times. The resulting black & white movie ( 1965, with a young George Segal as Corporal King) was one of the few Hollywood creations that seemed to be in tune with the book.

I don't often recommend books to read, simply because one man's meat is another man's poison. But if you really want to fire the imagination of those youngin's , try "The Agony & The Ecstacy" by Irving Stone.

The story of Michelangelo Buonarrotti (yep, the painter of the Sistine Chapel). I read it as a young man, and I never forgot the feeling of passion it stirred in my adolescent, somewhat ignorant mind. Perhaps it was the catalyst for me to become a seeker of knowledge, who knows?

I guess my early years were largely influenced by this type of story. I had (still have) a fascination for human endurance.

Not your mainstream read, but definitely worth the effort.

http://www.amazon.com/Agony-Ecstasy-Biographical-Novel-Michelangelo/dp/0451171357

Slainte!
regards Harry
http://distillers.tastylime.net/

Winning the hearts & minds; one post at a time.
(you will be assimilated. resistance is futile.)
Harry

Equipment type: 25 Lt 1500W elec. boiler, 2" x 40" packed column VM, x-flow O/head HX, crimp-path Liebig HX, VM proportioning valve, all in copper.
Various experimental gear.

Postby bushido » Mon May 14, 2007 9:27 am

Thanks Harry, I will order one today. If nothing else, I will read it. I don't like to see the kids in front of the tv all night, but neither will I dictate them what they can and can't do. I try to keep them occupied, encourage them to do something rather than nothing you know. I hope he will like the book.
bushido

Postby pintoshine » Mon May 14, 2007 5:10 pm

You guys make me feel uneducated and simple when it comes to books. I generally only read SciFi and fantasy. I just got done with "eragon and "eldest" from Paolini. I am starting a five book set by the late Jack L. Chalker. It is the "Well of Souls" series. I like Tracy Hickman and Margaret Weis of "Dragonlance" fame.
I think you get the Idea. It is all trash.
pintoshine

Equipment type: 58L 1.1 meter LM still.
110L Artisan Still Design Hybrid 4 plate with oil filled jacket.
20L copper pot

Postby msrorysdad » Mon May 14, 2007 9:27 pm

well Pint I've read Tolkien, a few of his books. I just finished a book on the crusades, The Crusades Iron Men and Saints by Harold Lamb. I read quite a few nautical tales. Nantucket and such. I enjoy a good book. Try Charles Goodnight Cowman and Plainsman by J. Evetts Haley. I think you may find it interesting.
msrorysdad

Postby triggernum5 » Wed May 16, 2007 12:25 pm

Anybody here ever touch Carlos Castanada?
triggernum5

Postby bushido » Wed May 16, 2007 1:09 pm

:lol: You have done some interesting reading there Trigg. Did you read carlos in university or is this type of lit an interest to you? I have read one about dreaming that the ol' lady had bought, and we had to read one of his books in uni about Don Juan. A bit off the trodden path for me. He is a contriverstial individual for sure.
bushido

Next

Return to Books