• Advertisement

O.k Pint'o What Are You Reading

Read a good book? Any topic is a good one. If it is about moonshine of other spirits, beer, or wine then that is a bonus.

Postby triggernum5 » Wed May 16, 2007 1:38 pm

My dad gave me a box set containing Teacings of Don Juan - A Yaqui Way of Knowledge, Separate Realities, Journey to Ixtla, and Tales of Power.. The beauty is that the books are whatever be.. Need a 12 step program? Read them like that.. Want to understand the universe? Read them like that.. Want to learn about some crazy hallucinogens? Read them like that.. Want to laugh at a wierd guy's rantings?.... You get the picture..:) I read them as a physics student.. Had trouble sleeping for ages with the mind wanderings.. Its funny how science is going a metaphorical metaphysical circle back to more ancient ways of thinking thanks to quantum physics etc.. Too bad dreaming about that 24/7 doesn't help with stats, or differential equations etc..:)
triggernum5

Postby BigDaddyDeady » Thu May 17, 2007 10:04 pm

ok shine how bout foundation or dune or blue adept or martian series your not the only one out there
BigDaddyDeady

Postby bushido » Mon Jun 25, 2007 10:59 pm

Was reading Fallon, by l'amour. Here is his recipe for indian whiskey.
"It depends on what a man has handy, but the formula was worked out by the indian traders back along the missouri. Your mother had 2 gallons of prune juice that had fermented. I started with that. Then I shaved up a pound of rank black chewing tobacco and a couple of pounds of red peppers. I boiled them togather to get the strength out of the tobacco and the peppers. Mrs Damon had a bottle of jamaica ginger, so I added that. I dumped it all into 40 gallons of spring water, added 2 bars of soap to give it a bead, and a gallon of black molasses."
"People will drink that?"
"It's the only whiskey in town."

I believe that would be a very volatile concoction for sure, for sure! Makes my face pucker just imagining the taste that would have. I can see where they got the term "fire water"!
bushido

Postby triggernum5 » Tue Jun 26, 2007 2:50 pm

Well, theres not much chance of infection with that recipe.. I wonder if thats the purpose..
triggernum5

Postby punkin » Sun Dec 23, 2007 10:31 pm

triggernum5 wrote:Anybody here ever touch Carlos Castanada?

Yes, the lot.
punkin

Postby pintoshine » Sun Dec 23, 2007 10:39 pm

BigDaddyDeady I have read all you asked about and just recently finished the Stainless Steel Rat series and the Ringworld series. Great stuff.
pintoshine

Equipment type: 58L 1.1 meter LM still.
110L Artisan Still Design Hybrid 4 plate with oil filled jacket.
20L copper pot

Postby blanikdog » Wed Dec 24, 2008 12:04 am

I tend to read a lot, but my short term memory is a bit shoddy so I also forget a lot. It has advantages as I meet lots of new people, see lots of new films and read lots of new books. :P

I mainly read political, history and archaeology journals. Recent novels I've read/reread are anything by Tom Sharp to escape reality. I'm keen on Hermann Hesse and Tolstoy and read a bit of philology stuff. I love words.

Just recently read "War and Peace' which I loved. I'm also an avid reader of Margaret Attwood - gotta be the best writer to come out of Canada. I think I've read all her novels, but not her poetry. Poetry is too difficult for a ruffian like me.

I forget any others.

:roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

blanik

I didn't know that Wilbur Smith was once banned. One learns a lot in here.
Liberté, Fraternité, Egalité.
(50 litre, propane powered pot still)
moonshine rye rum whitelightning booze whitedog gin grog distillation potstill reflux fractioning mashing wash
blanikdog

Re: O.k Pint'o

Postby mort4 » Sun Feb 22, 2009 2:09 pm

Guns, Germs, and Steel by Jared Diamond. It ties human history together into a neat bundle. Now reading 1491 by Charles Mann. It does a similar job for the Americas before Columbus.
Once in a while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right
mort4

Equipment type: 2"x50" copper VM, with 8" dixiedrifter reflux coil and SD torpedo.
2" potstill head, 36" liebig product condenser. Propane fired. Three plate SD bubbler.
Member of Hobby Distillers Association

Postby Mud » Sat Oct 31, 2009 11:40 am

Just picked up the latest Wheel of Time book at the library. It's called The Gathering Storm. Robert Jordan died in 2007, so the last 3 books of the series are being co-written by Brandon Sanderson. It's a little tough to admit reading this, but I started the series when I was 12 yrs old. The characters are like old friends. This is the only fantasy stuff I read, and I've read every other book at least 4 times each.

Brandon Sanderson's writing style is very different from Robert Jordan's. This will be heresy to Robert Jordan fans, but I like it better so far. Only 20 pgs in, though. I have the flu, so will probably finish this sometime this weekend.

-fast reader Mud
Specialization is for Kiwi.
Artisan Distilling Book
Mud

Equipment type: Keg based pot - sometimes propane powered but mostly electric

Postby jose » Sat Oct 31, 2009 1:04 pm

Ayn Rand
Just reread Atlas Shrugged. Scary
jose

Postby kiwi » Sat Oct 31, 2009 3:46 pm

I love a bit of everything, but I'm currently reading historical adventure books for the most part. The Cruel Sea, Nicholas Monsarrat. Shackleton's journals, The Heart of the Antartic, South. Now there is a bloody hard man. If you're feeling a little too full of yourself, read them. incredible survival story. Into Thin Air is another good one, about the tragedy on Everest in.... 97 I think?.

I read Closing Time, the sequel to catch 22 (which is a must read for anyone) recently, it was a bit average. wouldn't bother.

Herman Wouk. War and Remembrance, The Hope, etc.

I have an english teacher sister, and she keeps giving me post mordernist fiction, which is a little weird. White Noise and Salmon Fishing in the Yemen stand out.

I read a lot. good thread :D
Specialization is for insects.
kiwi

Equipment type: Pot/VM combo (thanks Punkin)

Postby snuffy » Sun Nov 01, 2009 12:45 am

Current pile of books near at hand:
Last finished:
Blood and Politics - Zeskind, an amazingly detailed history of the dark side of the American far right. The analytic framework is Willis Carto and William Pierce as the two poles defining white nationalism.

In the pile, mostly finished, but not shelved yet:
Electric and Gas Welding - Lindsley, basic introductory text by Popular Science
New Encyclopedia of Machine Shop Practice - WWII industrialization
Designing and Building Automatic Stills - Riku, re-reading for the umpteenth time
Cryptonomicon - Stephenson, technothriller for geeks with a really nice dialog on Athena
Distilling Knowledge: Alchemy, Chemistry and the Scientific Revolution - Moran, 2nd gen history of science
A Death in Vienna - Tallis, period murder mystery with some nice plot twists

Still working on it:
Home To War: A History of the Vietnam Veterans Movement - Nicosia, still working on this, it keeps me up at night.
snuffy

Postby Swede » Sun Nov 01, 2009 1:10 am

THE WHEEL OF TIME what a memory. I love those books. I think I quit reading those around 8 years ago. Are they still as interesing now as they were then?
Swede

Equipment type: 9000w 30gal electric double boiler with jacket generated direct steam injection/PWM controller with PID temp control for automated shutdown, column temp monitoring, and mash-in-pot, 4" Stainless 4 Tray bubble cap/wier type downcomer column

Postby kiwi » Sun Nov 01, 2009 3:31 am

snuffy wrote:Cryptonomicon - Stephenson, technothriller for geeks with a really nice dialog on Athena

Read quicksilver and the rest of the baroque cycle by Stephenson. Was bloody hard going, but for some reason I couldn't put it down... I suspect witchcraft.
Specialization is for insects.
kiwi

Equipment type: Pot/VM combo (thanks Punkin)

Postby Zymurgy Bob » Sun Nov 01, 2009 3:32 pm

kiwi wrote:I read Closing Time, the sequel to catch 22 (which is a must read for anyone) recently, it was a bit average. wouldn't bother.

Kiwi,

I was a huge fan of Catch-22 when it came out. For years, I read everything that Heller wrote, including a book called "Something Happened", in which nothing did.

After several years, I gave up on him, but I still read Catch-22 every few years.
Zymurgy Bob, a simple potstiller http://www.kelleybarts.com/zymurgy-bob- ... e-spirits/

You can make whisky in a reflux still, you can make vodka in a potstill,
and you can eat chicken noodle soup with a crescent wrench. But...
Zymurgy Bob

Equipment type: 60L unpacked 20"x2", propane, with Liebig

PreviousNext

Return to Books