• Advertisement

germain robin brandy book

Read a good book? Any topic is a good one. If it is about moonshine of other spirits, beer, or wine then that is a bonus.

germain robin brandy book

Postby zedzedtop » Fri Jul 13, 2012 2:55 am

Anyone read it yet? Flipped through for about 10 seconds when I saw it on the shelves locally... looked like neat pics, but not sure how much technical info there is. Certainly seemed well laid out/published.
'Bubble cap plates are better for batch distillation than perforated plates' - Benjamin Franklin

Fortune cookie: Your whole family are well
zedzedtop

Equipment type: 25G pot, gas or 4500w
pot head or 4'' 3plate bubbler, cm

Re: germain robin brandy book

Postby Bobtuse » Fri Jul 13, 2012 12:44 pm

I picked it up when I saw it. Its more of a pretty book than an instruction manual. There is some info in there, but like anything in this hobby, I think it is more of a guideline of what to look for than a how to. There are some good bits about tasting, and of course the equipment. There are different names for all the bits in a brandy still as well as the run itself. It is interesting to se the proedure they go through.

There is a bit on making cuts that I never understood, perhaps someone here has more of a clue?
"In the last hour before the 'cut', you should gradually lower the temperature of your distillate towards 16C to prepare yourself for the secondes, which you gathered between 13 and 15 degrees C..."

I for the life of me cant figure out if he means the temp of the distallate coming off the still? It would have to be given the low temp. And how do you control that other than your condenser cooling? Why would this have an effect on the distillate that has already come over?

Anyway, its a bit pricey, but a good one to add if you are collecting books on the subject, but by no means necessary .

BoB
Honey, "check to see if my nuts are still there, I can't feel my nuts!"
Bobtuse

Equipment type: 15.5 Gal modified SS keg boiler
Propane
Pot head
48"packed 2" copper VM column

Re: germain robin brandy book

Postby zedzedtop » Fri Jul 13, 2012 1:44 pm

Thanks for that... I think I'll try to find some time to go through it without buying it atm. Saw it at a winery tasting counter - not sure they want me hanging around for half an hour flipping through a book I'm not going to buy - wine wasn't that great either.... I do tend do pick up most books on distilling I can find however....
'Bubble cap plates are better for batch distillation than perforated plates' - Benjamin Franklin

Fortune cookie: Your whole family are well
zedzedtop

Equipment type: 25G pot, gas or 4500w
pot head or 4'' 3plate bubbler, cm

Return to Books