• Advertisement

AP story: Beam dips into white whiskey

Read a good book? Any topic is a good one. If it is about moonshine of other spirits, beer, or wine then that is a bonus.

AP story: Beam dips into white whiskey

Postby Oddball » Fri Mar 01, 2013 11:45 am

http://news.yahoo.com/top-bourbon-maker ... 06437.html

Top bourbon maker Beam dips into white whiskey
Spirits giant Beam Inc. borrows a page from moonshining, dips into white whiskey production

CLERMONT, Ky. (AP) -- The world's top bourbon producer is dipping into moonshining's colorful past to create its own white whiskey.

Beam Inc.'s newest spirit is called Jacob's Ghost in honor of Jacob Beam, founding distiller of its flagship Jim Beam brand. Jacob's Ghost resembles the concoction that flowed from the pioneer's still in the 1790s or from a moonshiner's still today.

But this is no run-of-the-mill, backwoods hooch.

Jacob's Ghost is an 80-proof whiskey aged at least one year in a charred, white oak barrel.

The aging adds flavors from the wood that's missing in unaged whiskies and moonshines.

Beam, based in Deerfield, Ill., is tapping into a white whiskey category that amounts to a drop in the bucket compared to bourbon. But white whiskey is finding a niche, thanks to craft distillers.
Woof, woof, woof! That's my other dog imitation.
Oddball

Equipment type: 15 gallon stainless keg with worm, propane fired. use my old boiler sometimes as thumper just built a lebig and will use it next run

Re: AP story: Beam dips into white whiskey

Postby sugarcreek » Fri Mar 01, 2013 1:13 pm

Allow me to rewrite:

The world's top bourbon producer is dipping into yet untapped revenue stream in the creation of their first white whiskey.

Beam Inc.'s newest spirit is called Jacob's Ghost in honor the marketing company that, after much deliberation and consensus jockeying, arrived at the name. As Jacob's Ghost is simply unaged bourbon, it does not at all resemble the concoction that flowed from the pioneer's still in the 1790s or from a moonshiner's still today.

This is like any run-of-the-mill, backwoods hooch save for a much debated marketing handle: it's aged at least one year in a barrel we were unable to sell to the unsuspecting public or the Scots for their single malt.

The aging adds a bit of color and not much else. We can do that since there's no TTB regulations surrounding "white whiskey".

This boils my piss. Nothing but a ploy for more shelf space all the while hanging onto the trendy "moonshine" coat tails. I wonder if Discovery channel gets their slice of every bottle sold.

SC (feeling more cynical than normal)
What is it about a beautiful sunny afternoon, with the birds singing and the wind rustling through the leaves, that makes you want to get drunk? ~Jack Handey
sugarcreek

Postby zedzedtop » Fri Mar 01, 2013 1:22 pm

How is it white after a year in new charred oak?
'Bubble cap plates are better for batch distillation than perforated plates' - Benjamin Franklin

Fortune cookie: Your whole family are well
zedzedtop

Equipment type: 25G pot, gas or 4500w
pot head or 4'' 3plate bubbler, cm

Postby sugarcreek » Fri Mar 01, 2013 1:30 pm

Have you seen the color of some 10+ year uncoloured single malt? I would guess that the barrel adds only a very slight tint (or perhaps none) color. They can call it anything they want that's not TTB controlled. Just like KJ calling their chard "Vintners Reserve".
What is it about a beautiful sunny afternoon, with the birds singing and the wind rustling through the leaves, that makes you want to get drunk? ~Jack Handey
sugarcreek

Postby jake_leg » Fri Mar 01, 2013 1:45 pm

Dead on, presumably it's aged in reused barrels for economic reasons.
I remember Aaron Schnell
jake_leg

Postby sugarcreek » Fri Mar 01, 2013 3:09 pm

Hey Oddball -- hope I didnt offend w/ my comments. Clearly wasnt my intention to kill the messenger!
sugarcreek

Postby Oddball » Fri Mar 01, 2013 3:21 pm

No Sir! I put it up here for us to see, glad to hear what everybody thinks.
I sincerely appreciate y'alls opinions, expertise and assistance that is helping me be successful with my new hobby !
Woof, woof, woof! That's my other dog imitation.
Oddball

Equipment type: 15 gallon stainless keg with worm, propane fired. use my old boiler sometimes as thumper just built a lebig and will use it next run

Postby punkin » Fri Mar 01, 2013 3:26 pm

There's also plenty of carbons available to industry that remove only what they want to remove, so a pass through carbon that is engineered to remove colour but not flavour will get rid of any barrel taint.

Personally i think it's a good alternative to those who are stuck buying store bought and don't know any better if what i've read on here about the moonshines and corn whiskeys currently on offer like Georgia Moon are anything to go by.

Identified Shit Stirrer, upgraded to sociopath.

To the fashionable nationalists

http://www.stilldragon.com.au for all your distilling needs in Australia and New Zealand
punkin

Postby Rebel_Yell » Fri Mar 01, 2013 4:52 pm

Georgia Moon is frikken nasty.

Beam is aging to mask the poor cuts.
Your results may vary..
I would rather teach a pig to sing than argue with an Idiot.
Every sixty seconds you spend angry, upset or mad,
is a full minute of happiness you'll never get back.
Rebel_Yell

Postby ZeroGee » Fri Mar 01, 2013 6:20 pm

Uncharred oak would add some vanillins without a color change, no? Char the barrels after a couple rounds and who's to know the difference?
Age, in and of itself, does not confer wisdom.
Instead, it provides a list of mistakes you hope, profoundly, never to repeat.
ZeroGee

Equipment type: Stone & Nixon all copper 2" offset valve-head LM reflux column with a 60L SS electric boiler.

Postby tickle » Sat Mar 02, 2013 8:44 am

ZeroGee wrote:Uncharred oak would add some vanillins without a color change, no? Char the barrels after a couple rounds and who's to know the difference?

:D bet that's right on!
tickle

Equipment type: 4" 4 plate copper bubble cap. 2stage shotty precondensor, keg boiler.

Postby Dan P. » Sat Mar 02, 2013 4:25 pm

I believe they are charcoal-filtering it to remove colour.
Whatever the case, my money is on sugarcreek having it right, that this is almost certainly some nasty shit that only just about has the lack of cuts masked by a bit of oak sweetening.
Dan P.

Equipment type: pot still

Return to Books