• Advertisement

The Lore of still building

Read a good book? Any topic is a good one. If it is about moonshine of other spirits, beer, or wine then that is a bonus.

The Lore of still building

Postby vb » Wed Feb 25, 2009 2:33 pm

Just had a copy of this book arrive.
havent had a chance to read it yet, but a quick glance through it seems to cover all the basics. we'll see if theres any new gems in there. it was my stepdad who sent it to me, probably a good source for him since he doesn't quite get the whole internet thing.
See You Next Tuesday.
vb

Equipment type: yes, and lots of it

Re: The Lore of still building

Postby Smokehouse Shiner » Sun Dec 12, 2010 10:47 am

Didn't find much did ya? I paid 15 bucks for this book at my LHBS :doh: . Their basic potstill design is a 6 qt. pressure cooker with a 1/4" rubber hose stuck over the saftey valve into an old A/C condenser with a fan blowing on it. :ranting: :roflmao:
Applauding an alcoholic for not drinking is like applauding a cowboy with hemorrhoids for not riding his horse.
Smokehouse Shiner

Equipment type: Pot Still

Postby Harry » Sun Dec 12, 2010 2:58 pm

There's a few things wrong in that book. They even managed to put one of the illustrations upside down (figure 3 two-stage, pg 130). However there are some nice calculations I've not seen anywhere else. Like holes numbers & sizes for trays, and column sizing for a desired production quantity/hr. That alone makes it useful to some. The tables at the back are also handy lookups.

Slainte!
regards Harry
http://distillers.tastylime.net/

Winning the hearts & minds; one post at a time.
(you will be assimilated. resistance is futile.)
Harry

Equipment type: 25 Lt 1500W elec. boiler, 2" x 40" packed column VM, x-flow O/head HX, crimp-path Liebig HX, VM proportioning valve, all in copper.
Various experimental gear.

Postby vb » Sun Dec 12, 2010 4:23 pm

considering it comes from pre-internet days, its a pretty good collection if information about distilling.
got my stepdad going at least. no doubt it could have been done a lot better but, as a place to start, it works.
See You Next Tuesday.
vb

Equipment type: yes, and lots of it

Return to Books