• Advertisement

If you can make 170 proof you can run it in your diesel!

Please limit these to relavent web sites. There is a lot of web information out there and if we posted every thing we saw we would flood the forum.

If you can make 170 proof you can run it in your diesel!

Postby pintoshine » Sun Mar 11, 2007 12:55 am

I was wanting to do something with my extra shine. I make way more than I can drink and I like the thought of alternative fuels. The problem is that the gasohol option requires anhydrous ETOH. I was thinking, what about diesel blends.
I found a study that describes using hydrated ETOH in Diesel.
http://www.ieindia.org/publish/ag/1203/dec03ag6.pdf

It says that 15% 170 proof mixes well. Up to 20% 180 proof.
I have a twin cylinder ford diesel tractor that I use to mow and till and other things. I think I may have found what to do with my surplus.
pintoshine

Equipment type: 58L 1.1 meter LM still.
110L Artisan Still Design Hybrid 4 plate with oil filled jacket.
20L copper pot

you

Postby msrorysdad » Sun Mar 11, 2007 8:25 am

you sir are amazing.
msrorysdad

Postby mtnwalker » Sun Mar 11, 2007 4:15 pm

Thanks for that post and lead. I have been researching on useing Jerusalem artichokes as a fuel source, as they now have developed a tractor mounted machine that will harvest the sugar sap in the tops, before it all goes to the roots for winter storage, and it doesn't harm the plant. With 4 diesels at the farm, I could set up to do it legally there. Its getting where it may become very economically practical. A neighbor is useing reclaimed cooking oils.
3" X 54" SS reflux column with copper, a pot column, and a quarter and a half keg pots, propane fired.
mtnwalker

Postby vb » Mon Dec 29, 2008 12:57 pm

I've read a few articles on converting a diesel engine to run on used cooking oil. the biggest issue they have is running in the cold, the oil gets too thick. I think a 20% blend of ethanol would solve this issue, or at least help a little.

I've always thought the bio-diesel conversion prosses was silly, why spend the time and money converting a fuelsource that your engine will run just fine, into a more expensive fuel that your engine will run just fine.
vb

Equipment type: yes, and lots of it

Postby zymos » Tue Dec 30, 2008 10:37 am

I have a bit of experience both running straight vegetable oil, and with biodiesel. A big issue with homemade biodiesel that may contain leftover MeOH, or simply adding EtOH to regular diesel, is that it may attack the seals in your engine.
Hola Amigos!
zymos

Postby dixiedrifter » Tue Dec 30, 2008 12:50 pm

The biggest problem is on newer vehicles is the injector pumps which have ridicuoulsy tight tolerances.

If as much as one drop of water gets sucked into your pump, your looking at a total rebuild which can be $2,000-4,000.
dixiedrifter

Postby zymos » Tue Dec 30, 2008 1:49 pm

I do know someone who destroyed a brand new diesel beetle :o
Hola Amigos!
zymos

Re: If you can make 170 proof you can run it in your diesel!

Postby okie » Wed Feb 20, 2013 1:01 pm

I know this is an old post but the problem with alcohol in diesel fuel is, the alcohol will attract water and can hold 100% of it's volume as water/alcohol and not separate. The water will rust the fuel system including expensive pumps and injectors and a lot of water in the diesel will hydraulic the chamber because water won't compress. It will destroy the engine.

I own several diesels and I never add any alcohol to diesel fuel. Bad Call.
Never Trust a Man That Doesn't Drink
okie

Return to Distilling Web Links