• Advertisement

Demerara Distillery

Please limit these to relavent web sites. There is a lot of web information out there and if we posted every thing we saw we would flood the forum.

Demerara Distillery

Postby hard times » Thu Aug 23, 2012 10:46 am

While looking at the use of demerara sugar as a
source for my ferments, I found this distillery.

http://www.demeraradistillers.com/our-h ... the-stills

A short interesting read about their company and stills.
Has anyone tasted their spirit or used demerara sugar
in their ferments?
I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good
as they're going to feel all day.

Good fortune takes preparation.
hard times

Re: Demerara Distillery

Postby Kapea » Thu Aug 23, 2012 2:10 pm

I have not tried their spirits or used demerara sugar, but I do use the simular type of sugar called turbinato sugar. It is much richer in flavor than white sugar. I also use evaporated cane juice for the same reason.
Kapea

Equipment type: 50mm x 1250mm copper & stainless VM column
50mm copper & stainless pot still
Modular multi-plate 4" bubbler

Postby jake_leg » Thu Aug 23, 2012 3:32 pm

That is a big old barrel on their pot still!
I remember Aaron Schnell
jake_leg

Postby myles » Thu Aug 23, 2012 10:07 pm

I am still experimenting but I basically use a Demerara fermentation with a little bit of treacle/molasses added for flavour. I started off with dark rums (with a higher proportion of treacle) but eventually I wish to make the gold Trinidadian style rum.
myles

Equipment type: Hybrid copper / stainless 35 litre pot still, with 2" reflux column option. Propylene glycol double boiler. 160 litre HDPE fermenters and mash tun.
All copper pot still "Rosie" in development.

Postby Smaug » Thu Aug 23, 2012 10:49 pm

myles wrote:I am still experimenting but I basically use a Demerara fermentation with a little bit of treacle/molasses added for flavour. I started off with dark rums (with a higher proportion of treacle) but eventually I wish to make the gold Trinidadian style rum.

Like an old school Puncheon style or more like the sweet syrup style of a newer Styled "Zaya"?
Smaug

Equipment type: If I'm being honest,,,,the entire StillDragon arsenal

Postby myles » Thu Aug 23, 2012 11:21 pm

Puncheon but with a bit of vanilla and a gold colour. Not too sweet, and not intended for mixing. Heavier flavour than the Cuban gold rums.
myles

Equipment type: Hybrid copper / stainless 35 litre pot still, with 2" reflux column option. Propylene glycol double boiler. 160 litre HDPE fermenters and mash tun.
All copper pot still "Rosie" in development.

Postby Swede » Thu Aug 30, 2012 12:23 am

I picked up a bottle of their El Dorado branded rum, and was expecting more than what I got. The notion of the big wooden boiler lending superior flavor to the spirit is oversold.

I opened it up expecting something special, and while it was noticeably better than some of the other imported rums available here, it was not as good as I was expecting. Put it this way, I had a few glasses over ice with varying amounts of water (this is how I drink spirits) I couldn't find any real good way that I liked it. The better part of the bottle is sitting in my liquor cabinet now, while I've turned back to my <1yr aged ujsm based staple whiskey. This is in preference to a 12yr rum, I'll have a sip here and there, but am not impressed at all.

PS, I went to the store to get a bottle of premium bourbon, but all they had was woodford reserve (insane price $60/26oz), knob creek, bulliet. NOT bad, but there's no way I'd pay from 45-65$ a 26oz bottle for it...
Swede

Equipment type: 9000w 30gal electric double boiler with jacket generated direct steam injection/PWM controller with PID temp control for automated shutdown, column temp monitoring, and mash-in-pot, 4" Stainless 4 Tray bubble cap/wier type downcomer column

Return to Distilling Web Links