• Advertisement

Possible BC liquor law change

Please limit these to relavent web sites. There is a lot of web information out there and if we posted every thing we saw we would flood the forum.

Possible BC liquor law change

Postby ZeroGee » Thu Sep 13, 2012 12:41 pm

From Washington State (US) last year to British Columbia (Canada) hopefully soon, artisan/craft distilleries can be made profitable through revised spirits laws. It is proposed to reduce the 170 percent markup on liquor to 123 percent, in line with wine production. If the proposal goes forward, small distilleries will be able to sell directly from the premises as well as to bars, restaurants and liquor stores without added BC Liquor Distribution Board fees.

Of particular interest is that BC wineries have recently been allowed product distribution across Province lines. Although not currently addressed in the proposed law change, it is hoped that liquor distribution will match that of wine.

More details here.
Age, in and of itself, does not confer wisdom.
Instead, it provides a list of mistakes you hope, profoundly, never to repeat.
ZeroGee

Equipment type: Stone & Nixon all copper 2" offset valve-head LM reflux column with a 60L SS electric boiler.

Re: Possible BC liquor law change

Postby minime » Thu Sep 13, 2012 6:00 pm

ZeroGee wrote:From Washington State (US) last year to British Columbia (Canada) hopefully soon, artisan/craft distilleries can be made profitable through revised spirits laws. It is proposed to reduce the 170 percent markup on liquor to 123 percent, in line with wine production. If the proposal goes forward, small distilleries will be able to sell directly from the premises as well as to bars, restaurants and liquor stores without added BC Liquor Distribution Board fees.

Of particular interest is that BC wineries have recently been allowed product distribution across Province lines. Although not currently addressed in the proposed law change, it is hoped that liquor distribution will match that of wine.

More details here.

Nothing like that happening in Ontario that I'm aware of......

Excellent!
Never save the best for last!
minime

Equipment type: VM enthusiast.

Postby Bushman » Thu Sep 13, 2012 6:02 pm

That would be nice to see, I would love to be able to walk to some micro distilleries on the Gulf Islands while visiting on the boat.
Bushman

Equipment type: I have a VM still with a 2" column and a keg for a boiler and a 4" CM still that runs on electric heat.

Postby ZeroGee » Thu Sep 13, 2012 10:46 pm

minime wrote:Nothing like that happening in Ontario that I'm aware of......

Excellent!
To the best of my knowledge, BC is the first to promote this. I can’t swear to this, however. I haven’t found artisan distilleries anywhere in Canada other than BC.

Bushman wrote:That would be nice to see, I would love to be able to walk to some micro distilleries on the Gulf Islands while visiting on the boat.
I think the first of the Gulf Islands to adopt would be Saltspring Island. There are already three artisan distilleries on the big island.

If British Columbia is the first Canadian Province to allow artisan/craft distillers to ply their trade, they could be considered pioneers. You can always recognize pioneers: they’re the ones with the arrows in their backs.

BC already has an Artisan Distillers’ Guild who promote the changes in the law. It’s run by Tyler Dyck of Okanogan Spirits Distillery, east of the Cascade mountain chain. My youngest step-daughter lives near there with her husband.

We’ll see how this works out. I’ll be in contact with Mr. Dyck for the latest information and I already have all the necessary paperwork to begin an artisan distillery. All I have to do is pony up $500 or so and get a good location…

It will certainly be interesting.
ZeroGee

Equipment type: Stone & Nixon all copper 2" offset valve-head LM reflux column with a 60L SS electric boiler.

Postby Swede » Thu Sep 13, 2012 11:14 pm

From another forum (ADI) but it may mean there are loopholes that would allow one to distill while "getting started", perhaps indefinitely? Would be nice to see if there was a way to make this work.

Hi, In Ontario Canada where I am, from what I've been told from provincial and federal personnel, once the permit application for both the AGCO and federal excise tax has been handed in, you are allowed to possess a still and do test batches. I found that weird, but I didn't second guess what two people told me. I take it the law in the states is different. if someone from Canada knows otherwise, I would love to talk with them before I do something illegal.
Swede

Equipment type: 9000w 30gal electric double boiler with jacket generated direct steam injection/PWM controller with PID temp control for automated shutdown, column temp monitoring, and mash-in-pot, 4" Stainless 4 Tray bubble cap/wier type downcomer column

Postby ZeroGee » Fri Sep 14, 2012 7:52 am

Swede - Thanks for the reference to the American Distilling Institute (ADI). There are artisan distillers in a number of the Provinces, from Prince Edward Island to the Yukon, according to their lists.

I'll pass on the membership for the moment but, if you're willing, perhaps we can speak off-line.
ZeroGee

Return to Distilling Web Links