• Advertisement

Interesting info on buying a still online.

Please limit these to relavent web sites. There is a lot of web information out there and if we posted every thing we saw we would flood the forum.

Interesting info on buying a still online.

Postby timmyjane » Thu Feb 14, 2013 5:11 pm

Read this today and thought is was interesting. Applies to US only.

S4: What requirements are there for people who sell stills?

Under regulations in part 29 of title 27, Code of Federal Regulations, TTB has the right to require manufacturers of stills to give us the name and address of each customer. If we choose to impose this requirement, we inform the manufacturer of the stills by letter.

http://www.ttb.gov/spirits/faq.shtml#s3

All the more reason to build.
timmyjane

Equipment type: Electric 3" multi valved modular LM/VM with inline thumper and heads reservoir.

Re: Interesting info on buying a still online.

Postby punkin » Thu Feb 14, 2013 5:24 pm

When buying a modular system you are not buying a still. Merely an assortment of fittings.

I believe even if you bought a complete head from somewhere like the site sponsor above, so long as it was not shipped with a boiler it would not nesserercarily be a 'still' until it was used that way. If you hooked a hose up to the bottom of it, it would then become a water feature. If you put it in a case it would then become a display or art.

cetera cetera

Identified Shit Stirrer, upgraded to sociopath.

To the fashionable nationalists

http://www.stilldragon.com.au for all your distilling needs in Australia and New Zealand
punkin

Postby timmyjane » Thu Feb 14, 2013 6:04 pm

Interesting point Punkin. The website doesnt really say. The only deffinition I see is:

A still is defined as apparatus capable of being used to separate ethyl alcohol from a mixture that contains alcohol. Small stills (with a cubic distilling capacity of a gallon or less) that are used for laboratory purposes or for distilling water or other non-alcoholic materials are exempt from our rules. If you buy a small still and use it to distill water or extract essential oils by steam or water extraction methods, you are not subject to TTB requirements. If you produce essential oils by a solvent method and you get alcohol as a by-product of your process, we consider that distilling. Even though you are using and recovering purchased alcohol, you are separating the alcohol from a mixture -distilling.
timmyjane

Equipment type: Electric 3" multi valved modular LM/VM with inline thumper and heads reservoir.

Postby minime » Thu Feb 14, 2013 6:28 pm

I'm starting to like "Moonshiners". They gotta a lot of chasing to do :wink:
Never save the best for last!
minime

Equipment type: VM enthusiast.

Postby punkin » Thu Feb 14, 2013 7:51 pm

I read that as no boiler - no still.

But i ain't a judge either.

http://www.stilldragon.com.au for all your distilling needs in Australia and New Zealand
punkin

Postby Harry » Thu Feb 14, 2013 7:53 pm

Small stills (with a cubic distilling capacity of a gallon or less) that are used for laboratory purposes or for distilling water or other non-alcoholic materials are exempt from our rules.

I still (pun intended) have not had a satisfactory answer to my proposal.
I can run a "continuous" boiler of 1 litre capacity (=1/4 gallon). If I run it continuously on any holding fermenter feeder of a capacity, it's still (again pun intended) only a 1 litre apparatus. But I can turn out 20 litres of high grade ethanol every 24 hours, if I had a mind to. Where the FXCK does that one sit?
US govt says 1 gallon or less, AU govt says 5 L or less, both are exempt. By definition, my 1 L boiler rig should also be exempt. But it is capable of distilling way more than any hobbyist can drink, or burn in a vehicle doing normal day-to-day running.

Just proves that govt enforcers/policy makers are talking through their collective lower orifices. :P

Slainte!
regards Harry
http://distillers.tastylime.net/

Winning the hearts & minds; one post at a time.
(you will be assimilated. resistance is futile.)
Harry

Equipment type: 25 Lt 1500W elec. boiler, 2" x 40" packed column VM, x-flow O/head HX, crimp-path Liebig HX, VM proportioning valve, all in copper.
Various experimental gear.

Postby punkin » Thu Feb 14, 2013 7:57 pm

Even under 5l/1l you are not allowed to distill alcohol with it. You are only allowed to possess it.

In both countries any distillation of alcohol is illegal.

timmyjane wrote:A still is defined as apparatus capable of being used to separate ethyl alcohol from a mixture that contains alcohol. Small stills (with a cubic distilling capacity of a gallon or less) that are used for laboratory purposes or for distilling water or other non-alcoholic materials are exempt from our rules. If you buy a small still and use it to distill water or extract essential oils by steam or water extraction methods, you are not subject to TTB requirements. If you produce essential oils by a solvent method and you get alcohol as a by-product of your process, we consider that distilling. Even though you are using and recovering purchased alcohol, you are separating the alcohol from a mixture -distilling.

punkin

Postby Harry » Thu Feb 14, 2013 8:16 pm

Well, govts are working FOR us by this premise...

Abraham Lincoln Quotes:

The best way to get a bad law repealed is to enforce it strictly.
Abraham Lincoln

Prohibition will work great injury to the cause of temperance. It is a species of intemperance within itself, for it goes beyond the bounds of reason in that it attempts to control a man's appetite by legislation, and makes a crime out of things that are not crimes. A Prohibition law strikes a blow at the very principles upon which our government was founded.
Abraham Lincoln

Slainte!
regards Harry
http://distillers.tastylime.net/

Winning the hearts & minds; one post at a time.
(you will be assimilated. resistance is futile.)
Harry

Equipment type: 25 Lt 1500W elec. boiler, 2" x 40" packed column VM, x-flow O/head HX, crimp-path Liebig HX, VM proportioning valve, all in copper.
Various experimental gear.

Postby Kapea » Fri Feb 15, 2013 7:50 am

If only the current US President was of the same mind as Abraham Lincoln! It would seem that he disagrees with Lincoln completely.
Kapea

Equipment type: 50mm x 1250mm copper & stainless VM column
50mm copper & stainless pot still
Modular multi-plate 4" bubbler

Postby mikejwoodnz » Fri Feb 15, 2013 8:16 am

edited to add: my post was not relevant in the light of day and self deleted :doh:
My Terminal Cancer is now : maybe a little remission :-)
mikejwoodnz

Equipment type: 75 litre SS "Milk Can" Pot Still, Onion Head, 1.5m Copper Liebig, SS Fermenters, AirStills . . .

Postby John Barleycorn » Fri Feb 15, 2013 1:55 pm

punkin wrote:I read that as no boiler - no still.

I think they track based on the component that contains the product condenser (and mfr's serial number).
John Barleycorn

Equipment type: PSII HC/1500w

Postby punkin » Fri Feb 15, 2013 2:26 pm

In our case the serial # is on the boiler. The rest is just interchangeable parts.

My boiler records were lost in a computer crash......

punkin

Postby John Barleycorn » Fri Feb 15, 2013 3:18 pm

Well there's the anonymous solution ... buy boilers from America and Condenser/Columns from Austrailia ... the rest from where ever is most convenient. :)
John Barleycorn

Equipment type: PSII HC/1500w

Postby Kapea » Fri Feb 15, 2013 9:34 pm

punkin wrote:In our case the serial # is on the boiler. The rest is just interchangeable parts.

The rest is plumbing for things like bottled water plants.
Kapea

Equipment type: 50mm x 1250mm copper & stainless VM column
50mm copper & stainless pot still
Modular multi-plate 4" bubbler

Postby snakeater » Sat Feb 16, 2013 8:46 am

In the US , the BATFe is not unencumbered by anything resembling a law or regulation . That they are too busy with other "things" at the moment is no small blessing , but if the hobby continues to grow at the same exponential rate you will eventually see similar treatment as the medical marihuana , localized poultry , and raw milk/cheese raids .

As the dollar continues on its downward spiral , the loss in revenue will have to be made up somehow , and the perception will be that you are a competitor , and you "stole it" . Witness Makers Mark watering down their booze instead of raising the price to meet demand . It smacks of a simple lack of understanding of markets and human nature . Their first reflex is to try and insert their fingers in our nostrils and drag us over to where we should be .
snakeater

Equipment type: Grandpa's 12 gallon copper pot and 5 gallon thumper

Next

Return to Distilling Web Links