• Advertisement

5 Gallon Stainless steel milkers

Whatever it is.

Re: 5 Gallon Stainless steel milkers

Postby Bushman » Sat Mar 18, 2017 8:15 am

My cousin lives 2 hours south of me, they own a fractional time share next door to ours so we see them every 6 weeks. I will get them April 7th when we go to the condo, currently in enjoying the sun in AZ. He said he cleaned them up and they look great, lids fit on tightly, no problems with the stainless, and they might be larger than 5 gallons. I have not asked him to check the volume as I will do that when I pick them up.
Bushman

Equipment type: I have a VM still with a 2" column and a keg for a boiler and a 4" CM still that runs on electric heat.

Postby Bushman » Thu Mar 30, 2017 2:21 pm

Get the buckets this weekend but looks like they are just under 8 gallons each and very heavy. My wife's cousin estimates they are about 3/8" thick which seems like a lot to me will know more when I pick them up.
Bushman

Equipment type: I have a VM still with a 2" column and a keg for a boiler and a 4" CM still that runs on electric heat.

Postby Pa_bon » Thu Mar 30, 2017 3:31 pm

3/8" thick stainless? If they are 8 gallon and 3/8" wall thickness, I would doubt they are milk cans at all. But they do look like milk cans. Certainly not standard milk cans. That would be pressure vessel specs. Hope they work out for you.

Damn, 3/8 is gonna be heavy.
Overhead the albatross
Hangs motionless upon the air
And deep beneath the rolling waves
In labyrinths of coral caves
An echo of a distant time
Comes willowing across the sand
And everything is green and submarine

Pink Floyd
Pa_bon

Postby Bushman » Sat Apr 08, 2017 11:00 am

Picked up the containers and they are in really good shape. Will need to build new lids as I think the original will be hard to modify also they are only 5 gallons but that's ok. Also they are not as thick as my cousin thought although the lid and around the rim is. Still very excited about figuring out how to best use them. Also found them online for double the cost I paid. Actually I am going to take my wife's cousin shrimping instead of paying him cash for the milkers (win/win for both of us).
Bushman

Postby punkin » Sat Apr 08, 2017 1:34 pm

Identified Shit Stirrer, upgraded to sociopath.

To the fashionable nationalists

http://www.stilldragon.com.au for all your distilling needs in Australia and New Zealand
punkin

Postby Bushman » Sat Apr 08, 2017 3:17 pm

Lots of suggestions there Punkin. I made a 5 gallon still out of a different designed milk bucket a while back for essential oil but thought I might make another one for proofing down to 40% neutrals and making another steamer basket to fit inside and building a top Fustrum like the Kentucky pot still design to fit on top and use it for gin, absinthe, etc.
image.png

Question I have to ask my self is can one person have too many stills? This will be number 4!
Bushman

Postby Bushman » Mon Apr 17, 2017 5:13 pm

Got my plans for building my absinthe & gin infusion still for taking neutrals made from my larger still and creating infused drinks. I haven't bought my 18 gauge copper yet but have my plans and started building my jig for forming the copper. The idea for the gin basket design came from my 5 gallon essential oil still.
Hope the drawing below makes sense. First step was to design on my cad software a frustum in 3D to calculate the volume I wanted then to do a roll-out for a cut pattern.
Second step was to draw up to scale legs to make the jig for forming the copper.
The first photo below shows the 3D frustum drawn upside down and shaded on the left side, then in the middle is the roll-out on a 24"x24" area for the layout and cut pattern. To the right was a drawing to add support legs for my jig.
image.jpeg

Below is a picture of the jig sitting on top of the 5 gallon milk container.
image.jpeg

The jig just shows where the copper frustum will sit and is what I will use to bend the copper for shaping. Hope this makes sense!
Bushman

Postby S-Cackalacky » Tue Apr 18, 2017 5:57 am

Very nice! Good luck with the build. I'm assuming the lyne arm will follow the same Kentucky still motif.
S-Cackalacky

Postby Bushman » Tue Apr 18, 2017 7:37 am

No, I don't have the patience for a worm and flake stand. Plus using a milk container has already broke from tradition. This still will only be used for infused spirits from neutrals.
Bushman

Previous

Return to Personal Items