• Advertisement

Distillery Help wanted, apply below

If you own the company, this is the place for FREE advertisement. But we may ask for evaluation and test samples...
Please be kind.

Re: Distillery Help wanted, apply below

Postby Boomtown » Tue Sep 29, 2015 5:45 pm

THE DAY finally arrived. We're now fully credentialed, ready to rock and roll. Look for a hire within the next 6 weeks, as a distillery floor man.

As we used to say back in the jungle, "Lock and load folks, here we come!", (phrase sanitized for then Non-VN Vet world, but you will remember...)
Boomtown

Postby Bushman » Tue Sep 29, 2015 6:41 pm

Wow, it is truely a great day for you. Best of luck with your business venture.
Bushman

Equipment type: I have a VM still with a 2" column and a keg for a boiler and a 4" CM still that runs on electric heat.

Postby Boomtown » Mon Nov 23, 2015 8:23 am

Thanksgiving week! Wow what a ride this opening a distillery has been.

But we are finally open. We are waiting for and equipment manufacturer (Distilling Equipment) to deliver a small still and mash tun, while we limp along using our tiny homemade still and thumper. Seems to me like I'm meeting proportionately more people in this industry who say they can, say they will, and neither can nor will do what they say. That's a bit disconcerting for an old cowboy, but not entirely unexpected.

We are selling barrels. Made a connection with a fellow in MO that sent us 30, 53 gallon New White Oak Barrels, and we resold them within a week. Maybe I'll just sell barrels...but not sure he's ready to make a deal with me for as many barrels as may be needed... But if anyone in PA region needs barrels, give me a call, we're putting together a second order, hoping to get them in house by Christmas.

We've waded through most of the red-tape mess too, I hope. Last hurdle seems to be TTB approval of the language we'll use on our label. But meantime, while we wait, we are allowed to make juice, and of course spend money, we just can't sell our stuff until we get the TTB's final approval of the label.

Meantime, I'm trying to get on the dance card of distributors in VA, MD, DC, and MA. I'm beginning to think they have some sort of phone that automatically connects to a pleasant sounding woman, who takes messages with the intent of filling up a round waste basket before the end of the week. These guys simply don't call us back, But the Control States offices do. I'm really surprised at how quickly the control state public officials are about getting back to us.

Well, sorry for the whining post guys, it's a cold, early morning, and I've only just gotten our internet connectivity firmed up here at our distillery.

I'm thinking about calling our distilling site, Rocky Knob - it's 3 acers carved out of the top of a hill surrounded by farmland. A limestone ridge that seems to have poked up through the topsoil that surrounds us. Someone bull dozed the top off, plunked down our building, and trucked in lots more crushed limestone to make the parking lot. Ends up, we've got a pile of rocks big enough to turn an 18 wheeler around on, with room left over for our distillery. So, we are making whiskey, at Rocky Knob.

Drop by if you are in the neighborhood. Coffee is almost always on, and we've a guitar in a corner, and plenty of places to sit and chat.
Boomtown

Postby Smaug » Mon Nov 23, 2015 11:44 am

Congrats.
Smaug

Equipment type: If I'm being honest,,,,the entire StillDragon arsenal

Postby punkin » Mon Nov 23, 2015 12:10 pm

Thanks for the update, i'm always interested to here news. Some bright some gloomy but all interesting.

The distributor system you guys have in some states just sounds like legally enforced organised crime. Like the govt telling you you have to pay protection money.

What's to stop a few small local distilleries getting together and forming a distributorship company? Is it a closed industry where they state govt will not permit?

Identified Shit Stirrer, upgraded to sociopath.

To the fashionable nationalists

http://www.stilldragon.com.au for all your distilling needs in Australia and New Zealand
punkin

Postby Smaug » Wed Nov 25, 2015 3:29 pm

Cant do it here in FLA.

Even though under Busch Garden's banner here in Florida, Anheuser-Busch acts as a producer, distributor, and a retailer.

They get away with it because they have just a shit ton of influence
Smaug

Postby dad300 » Wed Nov 25, 2015 3:58 pm

I was just in a distillery that did just that. Found an Angel to start a distributorship and they are it's only customer.

Distillery, distributor, retailer, bar,...pick one. In my state a license holder can not be even a partner in another license.
dad300

Equipment type: CCVM any size...

Postby Smaug » Wed Nov 25, 2015 4:26 pm

Here "they" would simply not distribute their own product to avoid the "conflict of interest/fox guarding the hen house" shenanigans. They would only distribute other peoples spirits.

The state wasn't buying it and would not give them the green light.
Smaug

Postby Mud » Wed Nov 25, 2015 8:55 pm

Distribution is a patchwork of laws by state. PA has some very good laws for craft distillers. It can be confusing to figure out what's legal.

At the last guild meeting there was discussion about multiple companies choosing the same satellite location in order to make a de facto craft spirits store. Im not sure what the PALBC rep said about the legality.

PA allows self distribution but state law says payments must be made on location at the distillery. It's a hindrance to commerce because of the added complexity for places like bars and restaurants. They may not be motivated enough to place an order over the phone and prepay nor can the delivery driver take C.O.D. Many places ignore that law but it's obviously not the best way to handie things.
Specialization is for Kiwi.
Artisan Distilling Book
Mud

Equipment type: Keg based pot - sometimes propane powered but mostly electric

Craft Distillery Closing

Postby Boomtown » Sun Sep 04, 2016 5:38 am

Well, it's been a rough ride on a rocky road for us, Not sure there was a chuckhole in this path that we missed.

We will be closing our door November one. Meantime everything must go. We will be selling our still, our Mash Tun, barrels, bottling unit, booze filter, cabinets and fermenting barrels, and the bulk of our liquor.

Call 703 593 9056 or 814 470-0334 if you think you might be interested.

Regards.

Dick Griffin (AKA Uncle Lum)
Griffin Whiskey.
Boomtown

Postby punkin » Sun Sep 04, 2016 12:59 pm

That's a damn shame Dick.

Identified Shit Stirrer, upgraded to sociopath.

To the fashionable nationalists

http://www.stilldragon.com.au for all your distilling needs in Australia and New Zealand
punkin

Postby rockchucker22 » Mon Sep 05, 2016 10:42 pm

So sorry to hear Boom, I was hoping for the best.
dancing on wire both ends are on fire
rockchucker22

Postby just sayin' » Tue Sep 06, 2016 5:32 pm

Boom,
I am sad to hear the dream is coming to an end! We have been proud of you for your achievements. Bringing your families' whiskey from the shadows to market with good reviews is something you can treasure.
I wish you and yours well.
Just Sayin'
just sayin'

Previous

Return to Commercial Links