• Advertisement

New little thumper / Gin basket from Nor Cal Brewing

If you own the company, this is the place for FREE advertisement. But we may ask for evaluation and test samples...
Please be kind.

New little thumper / Gin basket from Nor Cal Brewing

Postby Jaybird » Fri Dec 23, 2016 1:19 am

Hey guys been so damn busy building brewing equipment and selling home brew supplies I don't get a chance to get around these parts very often. Every once in a while I will build a part and it totally crosses over into this world.

So I came up with a KILLER little Hop Back and Randall filter and I had a few guys ask if I could make it into a cheep thumper or Gin basket. Check it out. It fits a 1/2 gallon mason jar. This is the Randall / Hop back. We do have this without the stainless filter to be used as JUST the thumper.

Check it out. Let me know what you think.

http://www.norcalbrewingsolutions.com/s ... ilter.html

Just the Thumper without the perf filter is just $29.99

Cheers
Jay
Nor Cal Brewing Solutions
Reddings Local HOMEBREW store

www.norcalbrewingsolutions.com

Cigar Smoker? Check out www.stogietoys.com
Jaybird

Equipment type: ***** Home Brew Store

Re: New little thumper / Gin basket from Nor Cal Brewing

Postby olcarguy » Fri Dec 23, 2016 10:14 am

Only problem I can see is hot product into a glass jar...Not a very safe practice.
I am "CANADIAN"
As I have grown older, I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible-
but pissing everyone off, is a piece of cake.
olcarguy

Equipment type: 6gal Milk can Pot still, 3gal thumper......

Postby Bushman » Fri Dec 23, 2016 10:48 am

As always your work is excellent. That is the same way my dephlagmater works but pushing cooling water in and hot water out. I do agree with olcarguy about the glass and safety.
Bushman

Equipment type: I have a VM still with a 2" column and a keg for a boiler and a 4" CM still that runs on electric heat.

Postby Jaybird » Fri Dec 23, 2016 12:56 pm

Thanks guys. Those glass jars can handle BOATLOADS of heat. I have seen so many people use canning jars for high heat applications honestly it never really sparked a concern.
I remember seeing (I think on this forum) a guy using 2 or 3 mason jars as multiple thumpers inline without issues.

Cheers
Jay

Jaybird

Postby S-Cackalacky » Sat Dec 24, 2016 9:11 am

Jaybird wrote:Thanks guys. Those glass jars can handle BOATLOADS of heat. I have seen so many people use canning jars for high heat applications honestly it never really sparked a concern.
I remember seeing (I think on this forum) a guy using 2 or 3 mason jars as multiple thumpers inline without issues.

Cheers
Jay

Until they don't! When I was a kid, my mom canned vegetables all through the summer and fall. I've seen canning jars break on more than one occasion. Glass doesn't handle changes in temperature very well. A hot glass jar and a cool draft can have disastrous effects.

The safety issue aside - have you thought about the liability you could face by promoting them commercially. But then, maybe a person blinded, or otherwise injured, by flying glass from an exploding liquor still component, would be hard pressed to explain the production of illegal liquor in a court of law.
S-Cackalacky

Postby Mud » Sat Dec 24, 2016 10:55 am

Use plastic for safety!

IContributeNothing
Specialization is for Kiwi.
Artisan Distilling Book
Mud

Equipment type: Keg based pot - sometimes propane powered but mostly electric

Postby Jaybird » Wed Jun 27, 2018 7:17 pm

S-Cackalacky wrote:
Jaybird wrote:Thanks guys. Those glass jars can handle BOATLOADS of heat. I have seen so many people use canning jars for high heat applications honestly it never really sparked a concern.

Cheers
Jay

Until they don't! When I was a kid, my mom canned vegetables all through the summer and fall. I've seen canning jars break on more than one occasion. Glass doesn't handle changes in temperature very well. A hot glass jar and a cool draft can have disastrous effects.

The safety issue aside - have you thought about the liability you could face by promoting them commercially. But then, maybe a person blinded, or otherwise injured, by flying glass from an exploding liquor still component, would be hard pressed to explain the production of illegal liquor in a court of law.

Yeah I hear ya. Thanks for the input.
https://www.norcalbrewingsolutions.com/ ... t_Jar.html
I am actually having some of these made for the 1/2 gallon as well. That should help. We have sold about 100+ of these and I have not had anyone tell me they have had any issues. But that said we are going to SUGGEST that the canning jar be wrapped or put in this cover.
I really do appreciate the input.
Cheers
Jay

Jaybird

Postby Zymurgy Bob » Thu Jun 28, 2018 12:02 pm

Hey Jaybird! It's been a while and it's good to hear from you. I sure miss your Brew Day.

(Yes, off topic, ok?)Are you still doing custom false bottoms? I'm coming up with some specs for some investors, that may involve a grappa false bottom assembled through a custom side port on a Stilldragon bain marie still, and I immediately thought of you.

I hope things are going well for you and your merry band.

PM me if you're interested.
Zymurgy Bob, a simple potstiller http://www.kelleybarts.com/zymurgy-bob- ... e-spirits/

You can make whisky in a reflux still, you can make vodka in a potstill,
and you can eat chicken noodle soup with a crescent wrench. But...
Zymurgy Bob

Equipment type: 60L unpacked 20"x2", propane, with Liebig

Postby punkin » Thu Jun 28, 2018 2:34 pm

I would be interested in a design for the immersion element boilers i stock too (3 of).

Identified Shit Stirrer, upgraded to sociopath.

To the fashionable nationalists

http://www.stilldragon.com.au for all your distilling needs in Australia and New Zealand
punkin

Postby Jaybird » Thu Jun 28, 2018 7:33 pm

punkin wrote:I would be interested in a design for the immersion element boilers i stock too (3 of).

Shoot me a link Punkin I'll check it out.

Cheers
Jay

Jaybird

Return to Commercial Links