• Advertisement

Storage in aluminium

Many metals are despised with superstition. Let’s talk about the endless possibilities. Documentation and academic journals are welcome. Bashing will not be tolerated.

Storage in aluminium

Postby Beast » Tue Dec 18, 2012 3:13 am

I want to get rid of my 3 gallon demi john for storing 180 proof. Glass doesn't rock my boat. Unable to find any stainless vessle locally, I did find someone who is selling 5 gallon aluminium drums, previously used for milk.

Is aluminium good for this, or should I look further for stainless steel?
Beast

Re: Storage in aluminium

Postby DavidWatkins » Tue Dec 18, 2012 3:19 am

Most of aluminum's trouble comes from its acid resistance, or rather its lack thereof. Aluminum leeches into just about anything acidic. Most mashes we do are pretty acidic so we don't want to use it for boilers where it will be corroded and eventually destroyed.

That said, it should be non reactive to distilled spirits.
DavidWatkins

Postby Beast » Tue Dec 18, 2012 3:31 am

Hi David, these were my thoughts exactly. The guy only asks for a fiver as well, I'll pick one up on my way home. Thanks
Beast

Postby myles » Tue Dec 18, 2012 8:14 am

Have to ask, why are you storing such high proof in the first place? :o

I don't usually have anything over 60% ABV kept anywhere. Just for safety / fire prevention reasons.
myles

Equipment type: Hybrid copper / stainless 35 litre pot still, with 2" reflux column option. Propylene glycol double boiler. 160 litre HDPE fermenters and mash tun.
All copper pot still "Rosie" in development.

Postby Beast » Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:53 am

I dunno, easier to store and for the ease of handling my recipes I guess. Is there a big difference between a 120 proof or 180 proof fire?
Beast

Postby myles » Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:31 am

Beast wrote:I dunno, easier to store and for the ease of handling my recipes I guess. Is there a big difference between a 120 proof or 180 proof fire?

Well flash point of 120 proof is 22 deg C where 180 proof is 20 deg C, and the lower explosive limit is 3.3% by volume in air, so possibly not a huge difference in the scope of things.

And it shouldn't be anywhere where it could be consumed by accident anyway.

I just remember that once I brought back a bottle of Bacardi 151 from Cyprus, and the crew insisted that it be transported in the hold as Dangerous Air Cargo and not in carry on luggage. Hate to think how they would regard it these days!!!

So provide you treat it carefully it should be OK. :)
myles

Equipment type: Hybrid copper / stainless 35 litre pot still, with 2" reflux column option. Propylene glycol double boiler. 160 litre HDPE fermenters and mash tun.
All copper pot still "Rosie" in development.

Postby prairiepiss » Tue Dec 18, 2012 1:08 pm

I've never heard of aluminium being used for milk storage? I find that odd?
prairiepiss

Equipment type: 15.5 gal keg boiler with 2 5500w 220v elements. Now running 220v Stilldragon controller on one element.
30" X 2" Pot Still CM modular combo column.
16" X 3" shotgun condenser 5 1/2" X 11" and 4 1/4" X 11" tubes and built in gin basket.
8" bubble ball addition named Fu Man.

Postby punkin » Tue Dec 18, 2012 2:35 pm

Some fire extinguishers are stainless. :wink:

It's easy to pick the stainless from alloy as they have weld marks and are lighter when empty.

Identified Shit Stirrer, upgraded to sociopath.

To the fashionable nationalists

http://www.stilldragon.com.au for all your distilling needs in Australia and New Zealand
punkin

Return to Metals