• Advertisement

Anyone built a lid for a 14" pan ?

Many metals are despised with superstition. Let’s talk about the endless possibilities. Documentation and academic journals are welcome. Bashing will not be tolerated.

Anyone built a lid for a 14" pan ?

Postby Soldat Louis » Fri Feb 22, 2013 2:25 pm

I got a sterilizer (not sure .. a pan which boils water to sterilize cans) for a cheap price, which I intend to use as a thumper and an auxiliary pot.
The lid is in plastic, and won't stand the weight of the column (40" boka packed column). I can't seem to find a proper lid anywhere, but I got a copper sheet that could be used to do one.
Anyone ever did something like this ?
Opinions are like assholes, everybody has one.
Soldat Louis

Equipment type: 60l all copper pot + liebig
Boka in progres

Re: Anyone built a lid for a 14" pan ?

Postby jake_leg » Fri Feb 22, 2013 2:53 pm

Riku uses a polypropylene bucket and strengthens the lid with wood. He screws the wooden support to the lid and seals the holes with silicone. This supports a column. I can't remember how the column attaches.
I remember Aaron Schnell
jake_leg

Postby Birko » Fri Feb 22, 2013 8:52 pm

yep my boiler pot just has a sheet of SS over the top which the column is attached too. Have to use the bull dog clip method to seal though. I use starched cotton as a gasket. The pot has nice wide rim. Bit of a pita to use tbh.

birko
Birko

Equipment type: Evaporatively Cooled VM

Postby myles » Fri Feb 22, 2013 9:58 pm

wood is probably a good answer. You only need a thin sheet of copper as the vapour contact layer, and use the wood (probably laminate) to provide the structural strength.

off course if you have a spare copper dome you can use that instead, and it will take a lot of weight.
myles

Equipment type: Hybrid copper / stainless 35 litre pot still, with 2" reflux column option. Propylene glycol double boiler. 160 litre HDPE fermenters and mash tun.
All copper pot still "Rosie" in development.

Postby YHB » Sat Feb 23, 2013 10:02 am

This tea urn had a very thin wobbly lid, which was screwed to the wooden top from the inside using stainless flat headed screws that were dipped in silicone before tightening.

small2.JPG

I added the timber to the side of the pot as insulation, but the lid could easily be fixed without this cladding by using threaded rods down to one piece of timber under the pot.

small4.JPG

The finished lid is very rigid and will support a 4 foot column without it oscilating.

small8.JPG

there are a couple more pics on the original thread viewtopic.php?f=4&t=6313&hilit=wooden+boiler&start=15#p91505
YHB

Equipment type: 2" LM / Pot / Proportional VM splitter with homemade needle valve and removable slant plates on 2.5 kW wooden boiler

Postby Soldat Louis » Sat Feb 23, 2013 10:51 am

mmm ... didn't think of wood for the structural strength. That could be nice.

myles wrote:off course if you have a spare copper dome you can use that instead, and it will take a lot of weight.

myles, if I had a 14" copper dome to spare, I probably wouldn't be asking the question in the first place :-D

How could make the rim ? ("rim" ? the part which make the lid stays inside the pan)

pic of the electrical canner
around 70 euros, 25L
already used by some brewers around here
Opinions are like assholes, everybody has one.
Soldat Louis

Equipment type: 60l all copper pot + liebig
Boka in progres

Postby YHB » Sat Feb 23, 2013 11:39 am

Soldat Louis wrote:How could make the rim ? ("rim" ? the part which make the lid stays inside the pan)

If I ever get my workshop back, I want to add a few gadgets to my boiler and have been thinking about making a new lid for mine, I intend to try the following

Take a length of 8 or 10mm copper tube and split it along its length.
Open the tube slightly and shape it around the top of the pot to form the rim.
Solder the rim to the copper sheet.

Don’t see why that wont work ??
Toodlepip
Brian

Why buy something you don't want,
When you can make something you do
YHB

Equipment type: 2" LM / Pot / Proportional VM splitter with homemade needle valve and removable slant plates on 2.5 kW wooden boiler

Postby myles » Sat Feb 23, 2013 1:09 pm

Just take a strip of copper about 2" wide and make a circle to be a tight fit on the inside of the pot. Next flare out 1 edge as if you were making an flange for a giant tri-clamp. Then just solder that to a circle of copper to make your lid. You might want to add some buttresses for support and to increase the rigidity.

pot lid.png
pot lid.png (7.7 KiB) Viewed 7947 times
myles

Equipment type: Hybrid copper / stainless 35 litre pot still, with 2" reflux column option. Propylene glycol double boiler. 160 litre HDPE fermenters and mash tun.

Postby myles » Sat Feb 23, 2013 1:15 pm

Or you could do this for a compression fit

myles

Return to Metals