• Advertisement

Soft copper for shotgun tubes?

Many metals are despised with superstition. Let’s talk about the endless possibilities. Documentation and academic journals are welcome. Bashing will not be tolerated.

Soft copper for shotgun tubes?

Postby ufo8mycow » Mon Apr 15, 2013 6:38 pm

I built a shotgun condenser with some scrap that i had laying around and as i was mounting it on my potstill the first time newtons law and murphys law both kicked in. I managed to drop it and thought i was really lucky to catch it before it hit the ground butwhen i looked at it i realized it hit the edge of the keg with the water inlet tube and it bent and cracked. I was able to bend it backand resolder it but i dont trust it.

So now i want to build another one but i dont have any more 3/8 hard copper. And it is proving difficult to find. Do most people just use the soft copper or should i keep looking for the hard pipe?
ufo8mycow

Re: Soft copper for shotgun tubes?

Postby jbird1992 » Mon Apr 15, 2013 7:47 pm

3/8 Hard copper is one of the most common sizes in the HVAC industry. Check with some local wholesale supply houses and see if they will let you have some or maybe Grainger.

As to your question I don't think I would personally use soft copper but I'm sure it would be fine
The only sure barrier to the truth is the ASSUMPTION you already have it
jbird1992

Equipment type: 24 Gallon Pot Still With Thumper

Postby Rebel_Yell » Mon Apr 15, 2013 9:40 pm

Soft or hard copper for the inner tubes of a shotgun condenser really do not make a difference.
I guess that I just don't understand the problem here.
Ya made it. That's good.
Ya dropped it and broke it. That sucks.
Ya fixed it. Good for you!
Ya don't trust it...? Huh, did it get your daughter pregnant and run off? Steal money from ya?
Making another should be good fun. However what's wrong with the original. It either leaks and needs more soldering work or it don't. If it don't leak it just needs to be used.
I'm confused...
Your results may vary..
I would rather teach a pig to sing than argue with an Idiot.
Every sixty seconds you spend angry, upset or mad,
is a full minute of happiness you'll never get back.
Rebel_Yell

Postby ufo8mycow » Tue Apr 16, 2013 12:47 am

The reason i dont trust it is that the water hookups are the same 3/8 tube i used on the inside and the one that cracked actually broke the tube not the joint because it was annealed from being silver soldered and i repaired it with soft solder and i dont think it will hold up to any rough handling or having hoses hang from it.

I will see if i can find a way to support the tubes and keep it but i wouldnt want this thing to break in the middle of a run.
ufo8mycow

Postby prairiepiss » Tue Apr 16, 2013 4:50 pm

Soft copper pipe is just hard copper pipe annealed. So it can be coiled and bent into position. Copper pipe is copper pipe. And generally copper pipe doesn't crack? Dent bend or smash yes. And appealing it would cause it to be more brittle so it would crack. It would make it softer so it would be less apt to crack. Unless you didn't get a good solder joint on the fix. I don't see why there would be a problem.
prairiepiss

Equipment type: 15.5 gal keg boiler with 2 5500w 220v elements. Now running 220v Stilldragon controller on one element.
30" X 2" Pot Still CM modular combo column.
16" X 3" shotgun condenser 5 1/2" X 11" and 4 1/4" X 11" tubes and built in gin basket.
8" bubble ball addition named Fu Man.

Return to Metals