• Advertisement

Tips for beginning welders

Many metals are despised with superstition. Let’s talk about the endless possibilities. Documentation and academic journals are welcome. Bashing will not be tolerated.

Re: Tips for beginning welders

Postby jake_leg » Mon Jun 03, 2013 3:29 pm

Plan changed slightly. Found a kiddie bed with a frame exactly the right size for a bike trailer, so I'm putting wheels on it. Bit less radical I suppose.
I remember Aaron Schnell
jake_leg

Postby jarheadshiner » Wed Jul 03, 2013 2:59 am

Anyone familiar with this welder or something similar? http://www.harborfreight.com/tig-mma-inverter-welding-machine-with-digital-readout-98233.html Seems pretty cheap for a TIG welder but it may be fine for light duty work such as ferrules and such. Did a bit of stick and MIG welding in high school years ago but never messed with TIG. Would like to buy something because I am a bit leery of taking a beer keg to a welding shop to have modified with drain ports and such. Can you say RED FLAG!
Lead, follow, or get the f#$k out of the way!
jarheadshiner

Equipment type: Pot still and CC VM. 1/2 keg boiler and 1/2 keg thumper for both and heated with propane.

Postby brantoken » Wed Jul 03, 2013 6:44 am

http://www.everlastgenerators.com/products-category-61.html

I have been contemplating dropping the dime on this one... I think they have better prices for what you get. also have plasma arc cutting which could be handy.
I am a bit concerned about it being a Chinese machine and not working well but when you look at a miller what it cost and where it is made.
(China) It is very tempting.

Stick is harder than tig, done it tech school, work stick all quarter and only a day or so to pick up the tig. Not saying I am an expert, or can stack dimes but
I can get a decent weld( but that was 25 years ago and a dim recollection).
Parental Digression Advised
TV
MA
SLV
brantoken

Equipment type: 3 inch ,Vm, Hybrid pot and Vacuum convertible electric modular still.
10.5Kw is nice.

Postby jake_leg » Wed Jul 03, 2013 9:59 am

My understanding is that Everlast have been around for long enough to have a track record. IIRC Jodie at weldingtipsandtricks.com tried out one of the all-in-ones and thought it performed reasonably well. But you might have to send it off to get it fixed.

I got a MIG cheap on Craigslist and hacked the bike trailer together with flux core wire. A bit of fiddling around to dial in the machine but after that, much easier than stick. Less dexterity required and not as much slag to deal with.
I remember Aaron Schnell
jake_leg

Postby jarheadshiner » Wed Jul 03, 2013 10:33 am

brantoken wrote:http://www.everlastgenerators.com/products-category-61.html

I have been contemplating dropping the dime on this one... I think they have better prices for what you get. also have plasma arc cutting which could be handy.
I am a bit concerned about it being a Chinese machine and not working well but when you look at a miller what it cost and where it is made.
(China) It is very tempting.

Stick is harder than tig, done it tech school, work stick all quarter and only a day or so to pick up the tig. Not saying I am an expert, or can stack dimes but
I can get a decent weld( but that was 25 years ago and a dim recollection).

That is a nice machine but just not sure I can justify to the wife that I will get enough use out of it to drop a grand on it.
I got pretty good at stick, and MIG was a piece of cake but like you, this was 20 years ago. I remember our instructor could TIG weld the bottoms of 2 soda cans together!
jarheadshiner

Equipment type: Pot still and CC VM. 1/2 keg boiler and 1/2 keg thumper for both and heated with propane.

Postby brantoken » Wed Jul 03, 2013 12:31 pm

Look at the rest of the site , they got one comparable with the harbor freight version , it cost more but you get a plasma cutter too. they don't come for free.
neither will do aluminum.

The thinner it is the more difficult it is , I would like to see someone stick two aluminum cans together.....
TV
MA
SLV
brantoken

Equipment type: 3 inch ,Vm, Hybrid pot and Vacuum convertible electric modular still.
10.5Kw is nice.

Postby jarheadshiner » Wed Jul 03, 2013 1:20 pm

Yeah the plasma cutter is a nice perk. I have no need to do aluminum so that's no problem. Yeah it was pretty impressive to see 2 aluminum cans welded together. I do remember messing around with a TIG on aluminum and it was a royal PITA! Never did get to try it on SS or anything else though. After the complete failure on aluminum I never picked it back up.
I'll check out the rest of the site and see what I can find. Thanks.
jarheadshiner

Postby Kentucky Shinner » Thu Jul 04, 2013 10:56 am

hold your arc in tight enough that is sounds like bacon frying. Make sure your getting good penetration by using your grinder to get all the slag out. If your getting good penetration most of the time you will not have holes to grind out. Allot of the trick to getting a good weld is how you set your machine, and size and type of rod. The easiest rod to start leaning with is 7018 1/8" diameter.. This is also determined by the thickness of your metal. If your metal is about 1/4" thick try starting out at about 90 amps. You may have to turn your welder up if it wants to stick pretty bad... Practice Practice Practice will make you better.
Kentucky Shinner

Equipment type: 4 perforated plate copper Hillbilly Flute On 26 gallon stainless boiler. HS5500 heat controller and element.

Postby bentstick » Fri Jul 05, 2013 2:05 am

Welding pipe in the day 7018 was the cover pass over hippy rod 6010+ as root welds, had to be able to run it verticle or horizontal!
It is what you make it
bentstick

Equipment type: 4" column,3 perf plates with a 2 plate and a 1 plate add on sections
Lm/vm hybrid with up to 3 bubble cap section add ons

Postby Kentucky Shinner » Sun Jul 07, 2013 10:51 am

6010 is what we had to learn with in welding school. A very good strong rod for sure. Great penetration
Kentucky Shinner

Equipment type: 4 perforated plate copper Hillbilly Flute On 26 gallon stainless boiler. HS5500 heat controller and element.

Postby vadiia » Wed Jan 22, 2014 11:10 pm

Got "Lincoln Pro MIG 180" for Christmas

vadiia

Postby brantoken » Thu Jan 23, 2014 7:43 am

My aren't we lucky, I would like to play with that toy....
TV
MA
SLV
brantoken

10.5Kw is nice.

Postby jake_leg » Thu Jan 23, 2014 3:51 pm

Pretty similar to mine I think, I got a Pro Mig 175 which has 5 taps.

I am still the world's most shit welder by the way, nobody here has nothing on me. Nothing at all. I am out there by a distance.
I remember Aaron Schnell
jake_leg

Postby halfbaked » Fri Jan 24, 2014 9:17 am

Mudrod 7018 is what i use for pipe. I find them a little hard to start and 6013 my all around rod the pick up to generally weld anything. Done a little bit of stainless arc welding and it is pretty easy. I have a Lincon 225/125 buzz box. Welded on and off for last 30 years. Mostly off and mostly just for my own needs. With a little heat will do 1 inch stuff pretty easy. You have to tack both sides several times or it will pull and make it look warped when you weld just one side. I can weld thin stuff with my arc welder (but nothing like sheet metal or kegs) maybe down to 1/8 or 1/16. Penetration into the metal is done by angle of rod and heat. Remember you are pushing hot molten metal if you push it at 20 degree angle you can make a beautiful weld that breaks when you drop it. If you had the same metal that you are welding and you use a 75 degree angle it will penetrate lots better and be stronger. I try to make all my welds pretty but pretty should not be your main concern.

Welded with the mig before but don't own one and like that for thinner stuff. If I would ever have one for stainless it would have to have gas. I would love to have a mig and a tig. I would more than likely not use the tig very much. If welding a keg it would be mig all the way. There are a few tricks that you can use that makes a tig very very valuable when welding a keg or thin metal. This isn't a tig or mig so i wont go there. Have some fun blowing holes in metal
halfbaked

Postby Harry » Fri Jan 24, 2014 10:28 am

jake_leg wrote:Pretty similar to mine I think, I got a Pro Mig 175 which has 5 taps.

I am still the world's most shit welder by the way, nobody here has nothing on me. Nothing at all. I am out there by a distance.

Santa's landed! Bloody late as usual.
Check yer PM.

Slainte!
regards Harry
http://distillers.tastylime.net/

Winning the hearts & minds; one post at a time.
(you will be assimilated. resistance is futile.)
Harry

Equipment type: 25 Lt 1500W elec. boiler, 2" x 40" packed column VM, x-flow O/head HX, crimp-path Liebig HX, VM proportioning valve, all in copper.
Various experimental gear.

PreviousNext

Return to Metals