• Advertisement

Ferrules into copper

Many metals are despised with superstition. Let’s talk about the endless possibilities. Documentation and academic journals are welcome. Bashing will not be tolerated.

Ferrules into copper

Postby timmyjane » Mon May 20, 2013 9:06 pm

I know its been discussed and remember some conversations on freezing and other possible methods of putting ferrules into copper. One last time please. Can the SD ferrules be pushed into copper pipe? K,L,M?
timmyjane

Equipment type: Electric 3" multi valved modular LM/VM with inline thumper and heads reservoir.

Re: Ferrules into copper

Postby zedzedtop » Mon May 20, 2013 9:20 pm

If you're referring to the brass ez ones, they go around the outside, so K, L, M, and DWV all work.
'Bubble cap plates are better for batch distillation than perforated plates' - Benjamin Franklin

Fortune cookie: Your whole family are well
zedzedtop

Equipment type: 25G pot, gas or 4500w
pot head or 4'' 3plate bubbler, cm

Postby timmyjane » Mon May 20, 2013 9:41 pm

I was referring to stainless but I see now that 3" EZs are in stock.
timmyjane

Equipment type: Electric 3" multi valved modular LM/VM with inline thumper and heads reservoir.

Postby jake_leg » Mon May 20, 2013 10:26 pm

Looky here http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/astm- ... d_779.html

2" type L has OD 2.125" and wall thickness 0.07 so ID = 2.125 - 0.07 - 0.07 = 1.985, just smaller than the OD of a 2" ferrule (which is 2.000 give or take). So freezing the ferrule and warming the pipe should be enough to squeeze the ferrule inside the pipe.

Type M has ID 2.125 - 0.058 - 0.058 = 2.009 so the ferrule should fit inside without a temperature differential with a nice close fit up for soldering.
I remember Aaron Schnell
jake_leg

Postby myles » Tue May 21, 2013 1:56 am

I am glad this came up as there may be a possible solution for us UK based folks. Our tube is metric so our equivalent tube is actually 54 mm and usually is found in the shops with a 1.2 mm wall thickness so the internal dimension is 51.6 mm.

Now for us the standard 2" ferrules are not really much good, as the outer and inner dimensions of the neck are 50.8 and 47.5 mm respectively. That is too loose a fit for a decent solder joint. The 2.5" ferrule is also incompatible with our 54 mm tube.

However, there is an alternative :)

Metric ferrules are available to DIN 32676 / DIN 11850 Standard.

The 50 mm size has a flange the same dimensions as the usual 2" ferrule so it should be compatible with the clamps. More importantly the neck has an outer dimension of 53 mm.

Now a 53 mm ferrule going into a 51.6 mm ID tube might be a bit much for even the freezing technique (I am not sure how much shrinkage you would get on the ferrule by freezing) but certainly expanding the tube just enough to make it fit is an option.

It is not ideal as you are actually better off with the copper inside the stainless and not the other way round. The brass flanges from StillDragon might turn out to be a better long term option. If they were available here I would use them.
myles

Equipment type: Hybrid copper / stainless 35 litre pot still, with 2" reflux column option. Propylene glycol double boiler. 160 litre HDPE fermenters and mash tun.
All copper pot still "Rosie" in development.

Postby zedzedtop » Tue May 21, 2013 1:26 pm

One way around a loose fit is to anneal the copper, clean it up, then squeeze it around the ferrule with a large hose clamp. I brazed all of my ss ferrules into dwv 4'' using this method, although that's not too loose a fit to begin with. Another advantage of the ez route is that it's straightforward to use soft solder, avoiding the need to anneal the Cu.
'Bubble cap plates are better for batch distillation than perforated plates' - Benjamin Franklin

Fortune cookie: Your whole family are well
zedzedtop

Equipment type: 25G pot, gas or 4500w
pot head or 4'' 3plate bubbler, cm

Postby jake_leg » Tue May 21, 2013 10:14 pm

Good thinking Myles. I used shims to get 2" ferrules into 54mm pipe and it worked OK but it is certainly tricky to get them square.
I remember Aaron Schnell
jake_leg

Return to Metals