• Advertisement

Brass

Many metals are despised with superstition. Let’s talk about the endless possibilities. Documentation and academic journals are welcome. Bashing will not be tolerated.

Brass

Postby stillvodka » Tue Mar 03, 2009 5:49 pm

Hello,

I have been given some large Brass fittings, which would be Idea for connecting the column to the boiler on my new still I am building, I would like to know opinions if it's is good or bad to use brass on a still, some say lead can come from brass in Alcohol, Ive look on the net at large commercial distilleries, they seem to all use Brass on there pot stills, I don't know what to think half the time, whats right and whats not.
stillvodka

Re: Brass

Postby GingerBreadMan » Tue Mar 03, 2009 6:18 pm

There's lead test kits you can get at the hardware store. I used a brass fitting once before in a previous still. Used the test kit, came up negative for lead.
GingerBreadMan

Postby minime » Tue Mar 03, 2009 7:54 pm

brass has a very minor amount of lead in it's makeup. If you are concerned about loose surface lead on the fitting from machining, just give it a good scrub with soap and water. Any lead bound in the brass can not leach to the surface.
Never save the best for last!
minime

Equipment type: VM enthusiast.

Postby myles » Tue Mar 03, 2009 8:57 pm

There was a post some time ago about bronze. A different alloy. Someone told me it is safe to use for food use, and there is a BIG bronze bell in a local auction that is just begging to be converted. I am tempted. Can you picture a cast bronze still. I bet I could do a lost wax casting if i tried hard.
myles

Equipment type: Hybrid copper / stainless 35 litre pot still, with 2" reflux column option. Propylene glycol double boiler. 160 litre HDPE fermenters and mash tun.
All copper pot still "Rosie" in development.

Postby stillvodka » Wed Mar 04, 2009 2:47 am

Thanks for the replies,
My column is 3'' diameter so these fitting would cost me a fortune if I had to buy them at this size, I like the look polished brass on stills
stillvodka

Return to Metals