• Advertisement

soldering methods

Many metals are despised with superstition. Let’s talk about the endless possibilities. Documentation and academic journals are welcome. Bashing will not be tolerated.

soldering methods

Postby lucky45acp » Sun Dec 22, 2013 5:03 pm

Hey friends, I have always soldered copper by first cleaning wirh sandpaper,Then I use #4 steel wool.Then I clean with acetone. I always used flux. I never really soldered without it. Will solder bind good without flux to copper sheeting? I know it flows bette.r with flux.lucky
lucky45acp

Equipment type: Small,but very eficiant. 2 gallons per run (5 gallons)

Re: soldering methods

Postby punkin » Sun Dec 22, 2013 5:06 pm

I braze or silver solder, so i don't know if that's what you are doing, but copper to copper will work for brazing, but not as good as with flux. Copper to brass needs flux to work at all as does copper to stainless.

Identified Shit Stirrer, upgraded to sociopath.

To the fashionable nationalists

http://www.stilldragon.com.au for all your distilling needs in Australia and New Zealand
punkin

Postby tickle » Mon Dec 23, 2013 6:28 am

You might be able to solder without flux, but I would think it would be a neater, stronger joint. Flux is cheap enough, and can really be helpful in the soldering process with the way it provides visual feedback. I use it cause it makes my life easy, well, easier!
tickle

Equipment type: 4" 4 plate copper bubble cap. 2stage shotty precondensor, keg boiler.

Postby jake_leg » Mon Dec 23, 2013 9:59 am

Using the right flux will always make for a better job IMO. I habitually overheat joints but the melting flux should be a good indication of temperature.

Greasy plumbers flux is sometimes a nuisance to clean up. Especially when reworking a joint, e.g. to fill a pinhole, I don't want to clean up the whole still afterwards. In that instance I will use dilute phosphoric acid AKA pH down.
I remember Aaron Schnell
jake_leg

Return to Metals